Sponsored by:

Glass damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:18 PM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Glass damage

Posted this in the General Forum but I think there's a good bit more traffic here.

Looking for some thoughts and general input here. I just bought my new to me CPO 991S sight unseen from a dealer in Memphis which had passed all the CPO inspections and whatnot. Deal was done over the course of 3 days and only during hand off to my hired hauler did my guy notate and alert me to a chip in the windshield.

The moment I got the vehicle and got behind the wheel I noticed it was right there at eye level from the driver's seat, and rather distracting. I notified the dealer of the damage, to which they said something to the effects of oh sorry, we meant to get that filled before delivery. I tell them I'm concerned about the location of the damage and potential distortion of my view if it were to be filled, I said I'd take it to Safelite to be assessed to which they said sure. First thing Safelite said was yes, we CAN fill it, but we WON'T due to the location of the chip it's a safety liability. I had the written quote and explanation sent over to the dealer.

At that point it became a 3 day wait as they "escalated it" to sales mgr and now GM. Today I get a call from the GM to the effect that well, Safelite is the business of up-selling replacements instead of repairs, they are going to have someone the local Porsche dealer uses for repairs call me, come inspect and assess. This person reached out to me this afternoon, requested pics and set up a time to come see it Saturday. However upon seeing the pics I sent over the first comment was "I'd say that looks fixable". I looked this person/business up and they appear to ONLY do repairs, not replacements, which obviously I'll ask pointedly in person come Saturday.

I'm wondering if I'm not getting the run around on this bc they don't want to step up, do the right thing, and get it squared away through their insurance. Am I overreacting? Pics attached of the damage.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

That looks like a pretty big chip. From what I understand, and it may vary from state to state, but large chips in the "primary zone" (viewing zone) should not be fixed, instead windshield should be replaced. I also think it depends on how big the chip is. Does your insurance cover windshields - if they do, they should cover replacement of WS.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:34 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Just replace it. Even if it gets fixed, you won't be able to see too much of it from the outside, but you'll still see it from the inside and it's in your line of sight. Safelite can replace it for about 650-700 dollars. It's worth it.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:38 PM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
That looks like a pretty big chip. From what I understand, and it may vary from state to state, but large chips in the "primary zone" (viewing zone) should not be fixed, instead windshield should be replaced. I also think it depends on how big the chip is. Does your insurance cover windshields - if they do, they should cover replacement of WS.
here's a close up picture. i'm doing some reading on the matter and it appears there are ANSI standards set forth by the auto glass safety council. i think my insurance covers windshields, but i'm wondering if it's fair that i should be the one to pay my deductible and let it potentially impact my premiums.

Originally Posted by NJ991
Just replace it. Even if it gets fixed, you won't be able to see too much of it from the outside, but you'll still see it from the inside and it's in your line of sight. Safelite can replace it for about 650-700 dollars. It's worth it.
​​​​​​​Safelite quoted just a hair over $1000 to replace.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Then you must have a bunch of options and sensors in it, that are integrated in the windshield. If I remember correctly, there are sensors in there for certain things. Maybe call some local body shops and get pricing. That's the one thing I can't stand, which is a cracked or chipped windshield. It's up to you, but i know for a fact you will still see it from the inside.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:47 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
That looks like a pretty big chip. From what I understand, and it may vary from state to state, but large chips in the "primary zone" (viewing zone) should not be fixed, instead windshield should be replaced. I also think it depends on how big the chip is.
I'd check this out. If your state has a required safety inspection, you may fail for this.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:58 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

How about a compromise with your dealer: agree to let the chip be filled at their expense, but with the following caveat: if the result is unsatisfactory to you, OR you fail inspection because of the repair, they will install a new windshield at their expense. You would need this in writing. Sometimes the repair works wonders.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:38 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

No way the car should have been CPO’ ed - see the attached CPO report from my car. IMO they owe you a windshield.

Do you have a copy of your CPO report - see if it indicates any problems with the glass.

i wouldn’t settle for anything less.

I’d contact PCNA and express your concerns.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:41 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

^nice post. Certainly worth calling PCNA and express that your CPO is not complete, and windshield should’ve been replaced.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:01 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Absolutely they owe you a windshield if the car is CPO. This should not even be a debatable point. Really ticks me off when dealers try to slip things by customers. They're just hoping you eat this and go away.
(But if you push them on this, don't be surprised if their story of knowing about the crack beforehand suddenly changes)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 PM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim137a

No way the car should have been CPO’ ed - see the attached CPO report from my car. IMO they owe you a windshield.

Do you have a copy of your CPO report - see if it indicates any problems with the glass.

i wouldn’t settle for anything less.

I’d contact PCNA and express your concerns.
yep, I do have a copy of the CPO report where it says it passes...what really gets me is they kept saying oh we're sorry but this should've been filled before you took delivery of the car but we were in a rush blah blah blah bc your guy was coming to pick it up, and they would've just hoped it wasn't noticeable? and also that CPO report was signed off on 2/19, 2/20 and 2/21 by the tech, sales mgr and service mgr, a full week and a half before my purchase transaction.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:56 PM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Originally Posted by kuma1416
Absolutely they owe you a windshield if the car is CPO. This should not even be a debatable point. Really ticks me off when dealers try to slip things by customers. They're just hoping you eat this and go away.
(But if you push them on this, don't be surprised if their story of knowing about the crack beforehand suddenly changes)
that'll be difficult for them to push off, my guy sent me pictures of the windshield as he was inspecting the car in their show room prior to loading, and it was marked off on the shipping paperwork also.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:10 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

And if they do not take care of a replacement windshield you can tell them, in a polite way, you will have no choice but to start posting negative reviews on Google, etc. and I guess you could tell them you'll take them to Small Claims Court; however, I bet they will replace it, or pay you to do so.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:21 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 385 Likes on 274 Posts

If it was smaller like a 1/4 the size i may have let that slide but that is far too big and being right in your view , That's a replacement especially on a CPO'd car . Make sure if they agree to a replacement you get a "quality replacement" not a poor offshore replacement.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:35 AM
shootermcgavin
Racer

my thoughts are when the person shows up on Saturday to pointedly ask them if they are solely in the business of doing REPAIRS and not replacements, bc if that's the case I think it's hardly fair to think they'd be completely unbiased as any business they refer away is business they completely miss out on. if the answer is yes and she recommends a repair then I fully intend to call up the dealer and say that i reject the assessment, and if nothing else I request an assessment from a certified auto glass safety council shop in the area and let them be the final unbiased judge of it.

Quick Reply: Glass damage