Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS vs 991.2 4GTS plus what to expect off msrp...plus RAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 AM
997c2sla
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you all for the replies and the advice.
I have always drove manual transmission, being from Italy (auto transmissions not very common there)
I had a 997.1 carrera s cabrio in manual with sport exhaust and loved it.
then i moved to a 997.2 4s cabrio always manual.
then i moved to a 991.1 carrera pdk and then bought a 2015 gt3.
gt3 is great car but not great for LA. PDK s is very rough in stop and go traffic.
I had carbon ceramic breaks that would not stop squeaking and got rid of it.

Los Angeles traffic is no joke and as much as i love the manual, sitting in stop and go traffic on the 405 is a pain and is no fun.
I am gonna buy the car to daily drive it. If this was a weekend /canyon/track machine i d go 100% with manual (i do not care to be the fastest on track).

Like i said before the PDK makes more sense to me for Los Angeles but heart still says manual.
We shall see what happens.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 997c2sla
Thank you all for the replies and the advice.
I have always drove manual transmission, being from Italy (auto transmissions not very common there)
I had a 997.1 carrera s cabrio in manual with sport exhaust and loved it.
then i moved to a 997.2 4s cabrio always manual.
then i moved to a 991.1 carrera pdk and then bought a 2015 gt3.
gt3 is great car but not great for LA. PDK s is very rough in stop and go traffic.
I had carbon ceramic breaks that would not stop squeaking and got rid of it.

Los Angeles traffic is no joke and as much as i love the manual, sitting in stop and go traffic on the 405 is a pain and is no fun.
I am gonna buy the car to daily drive it. If this was a weekend /canyon/track machine i d go 100% with manual (i do not care to be the fastest on track).

Like i said before the PDK makes more sense to me for Los Angeles but heart still says manual.
We shall see what happens.
Sounds like you’re making the right choice for your needs..pdk in the gts will be perfect for you. Congrats and post some pics when you get the car
Old 03-19-2019, 10:42 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

I loved my Porsche 6 speed manuals, but hated the 7 speed on my 991.1 C2S. If i could get the GT3 close ratio 6 speed manual on a loaded GTS or C2S/X51, id want that. I'm spoiled and want sunroof, parking sensors, keyless entry, and ventilated leather seats. GT3s don't have those options available.
So i went with a PDK 991.2 C2S/X51 this time. Love the RAS for better parking maneuverability and tighter U turns, and for better high speed handling. I have no use for the 4WD, as i don't drive mine in bad weather. PDCC is also a nice to have, stays flat for lower center of gravity during cornering.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:26 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 418 Posts

Between the two, the manual 4GTS, hands down. RAS is awesome. I prefer the RWD because it’s a little looser and feels a little faster but the AWD absolutely claws out of turns and you can get back on power harder and earlier than RWD. I traded an ‘18 991.2 4S with Powerkit for a 19 C2GTS and the GTS just feels smaller/nimbler, but squirrelly-er. People who talk about AWD in 911s for weather purposes don’t get it. It’s not a weather tuned system. It’s a track tuned system.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:57 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

If I had a chance to spec my own GTS 991.2 it would have been a 4GTS with RAS, FAL, 7 spd manual etc... I had a Panamera 4S and loved how that thing stuck to the ground planted on fast turns compared to my 991C2S that will definitely whip that rear like crazy

I found 2018 991.2 4GTS 7 spd manual recently to 98% of the specs I would have built it to if I had a chance, but unfortunately, at this moment in time, I can't purchase that dream car.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 AM
houstonbuckeye
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 2017 C2 GTS with PDCC, PASM, RAS, PDK (I am a manual guy as well) and creature comforts like ventilated seats and the Bose audio system. I love the RAS. As others have mentioned, the turning radius is surprisingly small and I can tell the difference in moderate/high speed maneuverability . I thought I wanted a GT3 and kept going back to my dealer to drive GT3's as they became available. I wanted the extra power and naturally aspirated exhaust note. My service advisor told me about a GIAC ECU upgrade, which I had installed. The resulting power increase is significant, but I still thought I wanted a manual GT3. I had a chance to buy a GT3 Touring, but after driving it, I didn't love it more than my GTS.
My GTS is a weekend car that I use for PCA DE and concours events and occasional road trips and it fits my purposes perfectly. Everyone is looking for something particular in their Porsche, so it is difficult to for someone else to tell you what is best for you. However, I don't think the C2 GTS will disappoint you.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:00 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Between the two, the manual 4GTS, hands down. RAS is awesome. I prefer the RWD because it’s a little looser and feels a little faster but the AWD absolutely claws out of turns and you can get back on power harder and earlier than RWD. I traded an ‘18 991.2 4S with Powerkit for a 19 C2GTS and the GTS just feels smaller/nimbler, but squirrelly-er. People who talk about AWD in 911s for weather purposes don’t get it. It’s not a weather tuned system. It’s a track tuned system.
I've already stated my opinion on the manual 7 speed, so nuf said.
But I'm going to disagree on the GTS versus 4GTS. The best GTS Nordschleife lap time (just under 7:24) was set by the GTS, not the 4GTS. And the GTS was not slip sliding away on that lap. The combo of PDK, SPASM, SC, PDCC, and RAS on the 2 wheel car is not beatable by a 4GTS on dry pavement in normal conditions.
Watch this Youtube video of Christian Gebhardt setting that lap time of more than 2 seconds faster than Timo Kluk the 991.1 GT3:

As Road & Track put it - "with less aero, more weight, weaker brakes, and less tire, the (991.2) GTS was still able to beat out its previous-generation motorsport-derived sibling (the 991.1 GT3)."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/videos/a33459/porsche-911-carrera-gts-nurburgring

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS vs 991.2 4GTS plus what to expect off msrp...plus RAS