Racer

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Two weeks today with my T, and...

• Having to plug in the phone each time for CarPlay is a huge PITA
• Basic HVAC controls are buried behind the shifter
• Folding tilt-in-reverse mirrors should be standard
• Can’t disable auto-open frunk sensor so it won’t open while washing car
• I miss pop-open rear windows
• No ‘Instant Fuel Econ’ gauge? Having a P-car doesn’t mean I’m not cheap!
• Hard to detect when the interior alarm sensor is disabled w/double-click
• PCM sucks, no other way to say it
• An extra 1/2” of door pocket width would fit a retractable dog leash better
• Rear license plate mounting is an embarrassment
• Sunroof tilt and open/close buttons could’ve been combined as BMW did
• Provisions for a cargo net in the frunk would keep grocery bags upright
• An idiot reminder for parking lots should warn me, “Relax, it’s only money.”
• Gawd, I hate e-brakes
• Same for fragile Piano Black interior bits

Thanks for asking!
Sorry for your problems. You Should have bought a BMW, really.
Old 03-18-2019 | 11:40 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
A button to activate and deactivate auto rev matching tor those of us with manual transmissions. Plenty of room for that next to the shifter.
Agreed. I'd like to be able to use this feature in "Normal" and "Sport" modes, not just "Sport Plus."
Old 03-18-2019 | 12:19 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTOWN83
WOW! I'd better sell my POJ (Junk). I didn't realize there were so many things wrong with it. Damn. I have a Cab and no one mentioned anything about that. My wife like to wear a hat when we drive with the top down. Imagine that, her hair gets messed up with the top down. I guess that's a significant, "Porsche Fail."
No offense but you and others sound exactly like an Apple fanboy would defending their perfect product. I think most all bought this car because we love driving it and all the other niggles certainly fade away when doing so. The topic of the thread was to identify gaps in product delivery and there are some. Why should anyone care if these are pointed out? I am confident that no one in this thread thinks the car is a “POJ.”
Old 03-18-2019 | 12:43 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

I set mine on fire yesterday. Who would want to be seen in such a POS.
Old 03-18-2019 | 12:50 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by white6speed
I set mine on fire yesterday. Who would want to be seen in such a POS.

By the way, you can no longer post on this profile as you've reached the perfect number of posts!

Old 03-18-2019 | 12:50 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Default A new low calling out Porsche Fails

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Two weeks today with my T, and...

• Having to plug in the phone each time for CarPlay is a huge PITA
• Basic HVAC controls are buried behind the shifter
• Folding tilt-in-reverse mirrors should be standard
• Can’t disable auto-open frunk sensor so it won’t open while washing car
• I miss pop-open rear windows
• No ‘Instant Fuel Econ’ gauge? Having a P-car doesn’t mean I’m not cheap!
• Hard to detect when the interior alarm sensor is disabled w/double-click
• PCM sucks, no other way to say it
• An extra 1/2” of door pocket width would fit a retractable dog leash better
• Rear license plate mounting is an embarrassment
• Sunroof tilt and open/close buttons could’ve been combined as BMW did
• Provisions for a cargo net in the frunk would keep grocery bags upright
• An idiot reminder for parking lots should warn me, “Relax, it’s only money.”
• Gawd, I hate e-brakes
• Same for fragile Piano Black interior bits

Thanks for asking!
"An extra 1/2 inch of door pocket width would fit a retractable dog leash better"
You have to be kidding!! You may be better off driving a Prius.

Last edited by MarkG123; 03-18-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Fixing
Old 03-18-2019 | 12:52 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shootermcgavin
this may largely have to do w/what tires you're running, unless you mean to tell me you've ran the gamut of tires available for these cars and ALL of them are loud.
I'm running the tires that came on the car--Yokohama Advan Sport V105.
Old 03-18-2019 | 12:56 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Originally Posted by Wolf_911

The Porsche keyless entry/start has no push button. You get a “dummy” key which you turn like your “real” key.
You also can remove the dummy key and stick in your “real” key.

ive tried that, but then i have to take the key out of my pocket and stick in in the slot. Also, i dont like how loud the things in the back get when i push that button that says PSE. wtf???
Old 03-18-2019 | 12:59 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Amen.

I bought this thing to drive it. Should I find myself stuck in traffic all the buttons are an entertaining distraction, but as soon as the road clears its all about driving pleasure. Pay attention to that and the other stuff fades in the rear view...
Fair enough, but a decent infotainment system wouldn't add any weight or make the car slower or less satisfying to drive.

Now you could argue that the collective mindspace of the Porsche engineering team is focused on this latter goal, and if it were to divert effort towards the electronics, there would be less attention paid to the driving dynamics and performance. But this is one area--and perhaps the only one--where being part of the greater VW empire could pay off. If Porsche simply plugged in the voice recognition and logic form the Audi MMI system, we would all be better off. And the car's would still drive just as well.
Old 03-18-2019 | 01:15 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

I have no problems with the PCM. Works great for me. I don't use CarPlay because it would mean having to buy an Apple product, and it would mean having lower quality audio, because Apple won't let the audio be full quality for greed purposes.
Old 03-18-2019 | 01:52 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's a bit of a battery leech... Maybe I worry about nothing but I always see low battery voltage readings on the dash when I don't drive it for 3-4 days (and you can tell it's recharging at a higher voltage - 14.9V), it likes to be tethered to the charger more than any other car I've owned.. I suppose that would suck if I lived in an apartment complex or something...

The gear display on a manual (early 2013) is useless as it only tells you the gear you are in *after* you release the clutch. *Before* would be way more useful esp for 7th -> 6th downshift to make sure you didn't accidentally nab 4th. Though one gets used to that.

The brakes squeal 10x more than any other 911 or other car I've owned.

PCM looked antiquated when it came out - nothing new there, porsche radio/entertainment system always is. In fact I'm shocked there' s a USB port for music and that they added carplay before 2025 ;-)

I feel I need to close with " great car though".
Old 03-18-2019 | 02:18 PM
stevenvillatoro
Advanced

Originally Posted by 991.two
Sorry for your problems. You Should have bought a BMW, really.
Originally Posted by MarkG123
"An extra 1/2 inch of door pocket width would fit a retractable dog leash better"
You have to be kidding!! You may be better off driving a Prius.
i thought I’d included enough clues of humor in my list, but apparently not.
Old 03-18-2019 | 02:26 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg D.
It's a bit of a battery leech... Maybe I worry about nothing but I always see low battery voltage readings on the dash when I don't drive it for 3-4 days (and you can tell it's recharging at a higher voltage - 14.9V), it likes to be tethered to the charger more than any other car I've owned.. I suppose that would suck if I lived in an apartment complex or something...

The gear display on a manual (early 2013) is useless as it only tells you the gear you are in *after* you release the clutch. *Before* would be way more useful esp for 7th -> 6th downshift to make sure you didn't accidentally nab 4th. Though one gets used to that.

The brakes squeal 10x more than any other 911 or other car I've owned.

PCM looked antiquated when it came out - nothing new there, porsche radio/entertainment system always is. In fact I'm shocked there' s a USB port for music and that they added carplay before 2025 ;-)

I feel I need to close with " great car though".
Battery Voltage - I keep this on my screen because it's the only analog gauge that is missing. I like to keep an eye on it as well. I plug in my battery tender daily. Dealer said my battery is still looking good after 5 years.
I have the Speed Limit displayed where the upper compass is so that's why y ou see the compass twice. Also like the stopover flag since the destination distance/ETA shows on the main PCM screen.

Old 03-18-2019 | 03:05 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 6sigma
4. Garage door openers don't work when car is switched off. I know many German cars do this, but I don't like it. I pull into my garage, turn the car off, and press the button to close the door behind me - in that order. I don't like to close the door with a running car. Likewise I don't like to start the car with the garage door closed (cold start fumes in the garage).
The Home Link buttons functions with the ‘key’ in the ‘run’ position regardless of whether the engine is running. So, turn the key to the run position, open garage door, when the door is open start the engine and drive out of garage.
Upon arrival at home, after stopping in the garage, turn the key off and then back to the run position, close garage door, then turn key off and withdraw.
Old 03-18-2019 | 03:53 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

The only that really annoys me are the parking sensors. I swear they detect the afterlife...... They go off randomly.

Quick Reply: NoFun Facts about 991