Porsche owner stereotypes - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

Porsche owner stereotypes

 
Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 PM
  #16  
dflowerz
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 683
Default

Judging by the few Porsche Club events I have attended, the average 911 owner is an older married man with a bit of paunch......just like me So the stereotype is a lot different from the reality!
dflowerz is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 PM
  #17  
Porsche_nuts
Super User
 
Porsche_nuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,865
Default

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991 View Post
A few minutes of my life I will never get back... What a stupid video.
You did better than me.
I watched about 25 seconds of it and just could not continue watching it.
You are being nice when you say stupid.
Porsche_nuts is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:09 PM
  #18  
dkhm3
User
 
dkhm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Orange County
Posts: 200
Default

Wide grins and not falling asleep at the wheel unlike Tesla drivers
dkhm3 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:29 PM
  #19  
fast1
Super User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,207
Default

Originally Posted by dflowerz View Post
Judging by the few Porsche Club events I have attended, the average 911 owner is an older married man with a bit of paunch......just like me So the stereotype is a lot different from the reality!
But you have two distinct Porsche owner profiles. Enthusiasts like you'll find at this site, and you are likely to find them at DE and Porsche club events. And guys who buy Porsches just for status. The second group is likely to own Rolex watches.
fast1 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM
  #20  
fast1
Super User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,207
Default

Originally Posted by V999 View Post
Speaking of sterotypes, my FWB gave me the t-shirt below. Kind of a portable (across brands) joke.

I'm debating wearing it to my first PCA event. Surely there are no Porsche owners who take themselves too seriously to appreciate a little self-deprecating humor.

I've owned 911s for over four decades, and the overwhelming majority of 911 owners have a great sense of humor. So you'll be fine with the shirt.
fast1 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 PM
  #21  
Dr. Ice
User
 
Dr. Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Missouri
Posts: 198
Default

Originally Posted by fast1 View Post
But you have two distinct Porsche owner profiles. Enthusiasts like you'll find at this site, and you are likely to find them at DE and Porsche club events. And guys who buy Porsches just for status. The second group is likely to own Rolex watches.
Damn.....I have a Rolex watch, but wear my TAG when I drive the Porsche😏
Dr. Ice is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:00 AM
  #22  
V999
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 352
Default

Originally Posted by fast1 View Post
I've owned 911s for over four decades, and the overwhelming majority of 911 owners have a great sense of humor. So you'll be fine with the shirt.
I was joking. In my experience, the majority of people I meet everywhere have pretty good senses of humor. Or they could just be laughing at me. Hmmm.

OTOH, I’ve found that not everybody likes being dragged under the self-deprecating bus with me.
V999 is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 02:52 AM
  #23  
snake eyes
User
 
snake eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 847
Default

PCA events are full of older guys!
track events _ private Days or clubs etc are younger folk

same applies with corvette owners as does Porsche’s from my experience
snake eyes is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 03:52 AM
  #24  
Wujohn
User
 
Wujohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 145
Default

This is funny but I've found pretty well grounded people driving some variant of a 911, even if they had more money that they knew what to do with it. A pretty solid group of folks in my limited experience.
Wujohn is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:54 AM
  #25  
fast1
Super User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,207
Default

Originally Posted by Wujohn View Post
This is funny but I've found pretty well grounded people driving some variant of a 911, even if they had more money that they knew what to do with it. A pretty solid group of folks in my limited experience.
That's been my experience, but there are exceptions to the rule as there are exceptions for owners of other upscale cars. The skit I posted is a farce, but there is a grain of truth in some of it which made it funny to me. For example haven't you ever seen a 911 take up two parking spaces? Granted that I've seen many other drivers of other car makes do the same, but unfortunately everyone recognizes a 911. And haven't you ever heard or read about a Porsche owner positing that he owns the only "real Porsche".
By way of example last summer I met my wife for dinner at a country restaurant which had an outdoor bar and seating. I drove to the restaurant in my brother's GT4. He is temporarily working in Europe, and asked me to drive his car whenever I could so that he wouldn't have to put it in storage. Since I got to the restaurant before my wife, I decided to wait for my wife at the outdoor bar. While at the bar I saw a beautiful 997 pull into the lot. The driver of the 997 and his date went to the bar and sat near enough to me were I was able to overhear their conversation. After a few minutes I heard the young lady favorably comment on the GT4 which she thought was a 911. Her date quickly corrected her and said that it was not a 911, and that it was a Cayman which is an entry level car for those who can't afford a 911.
Are guys like this typical? Of course not, but there are just enough of them to have some of the scenes in the skit resonate to me.
fast1 is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:21 PM
  #26  
Hurricane
Super User
 
Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,406
Default

Originally Posted by snake eyes View Post
PCA events are full of older guys!
track events _ private Days or clubs etc are younger folk

same applies with corvette owners as does Porsche’s from my experience
I have found that PCA drive and dine events skew on the older side, autocross draws the youngest crowd (although quite a broad mix of young and old), and DE’s and other social events somewhere in the middle. Still rare to see a Macan or a Panamera at any events but I do see a lot of Cayennes from time to time.

Several regular PCA autocross folks crashed a Corvette autocross event last year and I was surprised at how old the Vette group skewed - a LOT older than the PCA crowd.
Hurricane is online now  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:18 PM
  #27  
Bud Taylor
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 767
Default Twin Sport Chronos - + 10 RWHP

Thanks to my PCNA gift certificate i now have dual sport chronos.


Damn.....I have a Rolex watch, but wear my TAG when I drive the Porsche😏
[/QUOTE]

Bud Taylor is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 10:37 PM
  #28  
titan7
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
titan7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 407
Default

Originally Posted by fast1 View Post
That's been my experience, but there are exceptions to the rule as there are exceptions for owners of other upscale cars. The skit I posted is a farce, but there is a grain of truth in some of it which made it funny to me. For example haven't you ever seen a 911 take up two parking spaces? Granted that I've seen many other drivers of other car makes do the same, but unfortunately everyone recognizes a 911. And haven't you ever heard or read about a Porsche owner positing that he owns the only "real Porsche".
By way of example last summer I met my wife for dinner at a country restaurant which had an outdoor bar and seating. I drove to the restaurant in my brother's GT4. He is temporarily working in Europe, and asked me to drive his car whenever I could so that he wouldn't have to put it in storage. Since I got to the restaurant before my wife, I decided to wait for my wife at the outdoor bar. While at the bar I saw a beautiful 997 pull into the lot. The driver of the 997 and his date went to the bar and sat near enough to me were I was able to overhear their conversation. After a few minutes I heard the young lady favorably comment on the GT4 which she thought was a 911. Her date quickly corrected her and said that it was not a 911, and that it was a Cayman which is an entry level car for those who can't afford a 911.
Are guys like this typical? Of course not, but there are just enough of them to have some of the scenes in the skit resonate to me.
What a loser. Yep I have run across several P-Car drivers who give real Porsche enthusiasts a bad name. I always tell my wife there are Porsche people, and “PORSCH” people.
titan7 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 01:34 AM
  #29  
Dr. Ice
User
 
Dr. Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Missouri
Posts: 198
Default

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor View Post
Thanks to my PCNA gift certificate i now have dual sport chronos.


Damn.....I have a Rolex watch, but wear my TAG when I drive the Porsche😏
[/QUOTE]

Sweet watch.....I like it!
Dr. Ice is offline  
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
  #30  
Gary JR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Gary JR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: S Carolina coast & N Carolina mountains
Posts: 1,218
Default

Originally Posted by John Mclane View Post
Without being a cliche, seems more in par some other German brand that I shall not name.
What does that make a proud Porsche and BMW(s) owner?
Gary JR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: