Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major service-THE RIGHT WAY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Here's a major service done the right way on the Macan S : it includes spark plugs and PDK fluid and filter replacement.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:21 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Thank you guys. I'm off doe some grease!
Old 06-21-2019, 12:30 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 419 Posts

Loeber Motors, Lincolnwood IL
rocks!!!
Old 10-07-2019, 01:07 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Anyone try lubricating their upper shock mounts like this video? I've got this intermittent creaking in the front drivers side, almost sounds like its coming from the steering column. Could be the fuel tank. It made the noise before and after my coilovers (which use OEM upper mounts). I had to drive through the Bronx (**** roads) today, and it was driving me bananas. Want to triple check to make sure it is not the front upper mount before taking it further.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:15 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Anyone try lubricating their upper shock mounts like this video? I've got this intermittent creaking in the front drivers side, almost sounds like its coming from the steering column. Could be the fuel tank. It made the noise before and after my coilovers (which use OEM upper mounts). I had to drive through the Bronx (**** roads) today, and it was driving me bananas. Want to triple check to make sure it is not the front upper mount before taking it further.
Yes. I bought some horse hair brushes and some high pressure (name brand) grease. I cleaned then hand applied then brushed and dabbed in upper and lower mounting points and as shown in video. Nothing changed for a few weeks then one day, no noise what-so-ever and never since. Been six months now.
The following users liked this post:
koala (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 06:32 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
While I agree with everything you say, I am LMAO.

All that detail stuff, like claying the glass, putting tape on the body before taking off the rear bumper, spraying down and cleaning the frunk area, lubing the weatherstripping, etc, I don't know of any dealership, let alone a Porsche dealership, that would do any of that. It was all done for the camera and is a PR stunt.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they did. But these dealerships need to get cars in and out. Time is money and they are not going to go that extra mile unless they see money in their pocket.

OK, call me a cynic - but as the saying goes, you either sell or get sold.
Call me cynic number two. That video is an impressive commercial, period.

Jason
Old 02-01-2020, 07:53 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Yes. I bought some horse hair brushes and some high pressure (name brand) grease. I cleaned then hand applied then brushed and dabbed in upper and lower mounting points and as shown in video. Nothing changed for a few weeks then one day, no noise what-so-ever and never since. Been six months now.
Well, that sold me. Off to order some supplies!

Edit - something like this? https://www.redlineoil.com/cv-2-grease
Old 04-02-2020, 09:59 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Who knows, which is why I do it all myself. That way I know it is done right. Plus I enjoy looking after my vehicles.
Me too!

Jason
IXLR8 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 11:19 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by BOPE
Me too!

Jason
All we need is good info and that is hard to come by, yes, even on RL.

Way back I was considering rebuilding my dual-distributor. At that time, some private and businesses were providing a service to rebuilt them by simply cleaning them up and replacing the belt. Not exactly what I call a "rebuild" since it was the bearings that in some/many cases also needed replacing. Back then, the non-standard bearings weren't available to us...they are now. Doing some research, I asked what type of bearing is used. I got a reply from one of the guru shops that performs the rebuild, the one that everybody bows at the ankles to, that it was a ball bearing. Well after taking it apart, it was not. Sometimes you really have to wonder who to believe.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:18 PM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

In 2013-2014 I was traveling from Philly to Boston for a conference and one of my best friends asked me if Id be open to picking up a car for him while I was there. I said sure. He said it was an immaculate and perfect e28 5-series BMW. I was excited.

So I made my flight plans accordingly then asked him all the details. How does he want me to handle the transaction, what criteria he wants me to look for to walk away from, etc.

He then told me the 1983 BMW 528e had 343k miles on it. To which I reacted, "Holy **** mate"

Fast forward to me picking it up. This thing as a masterpiece. Immaculate. Could've had 10,000 miles on it. Owned by an OCD architect. He gave me a walk around and pointed out things like how a certain window seal had minor rubber cracking and that he had replacement seals in the trunk. How he had always greased every seal, door hinge, etc. with the appropriate BMW grease.

My point behind this is: I've seen firsthand what this type of obsessive care results in when it's done for many years. But unless you take your car to a very special place, they won't do it like you will at home. If you want your car kept to this level, demand it....pay for it....or simply DIY once a year. It takes 30 minutes to wipe down and grease seals and vacuum out rain gutters and radiators with appropriate tools.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:09 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

This service is average at best and raises concerns in a few spots for me. Unfortunately most dealers are far worse, which is why I avoid them like the plague.

1) No fender covers while putting charger on car (risk of damage to fenders)
2) Charger resting on car without cushion or cover (risk of scratching underhood areas)
3) Screw guns mean stripped screws. I don't care how good you are.
4) Horse hair brush used with barely any cleaner on under hood areas scratch plastic. Overspray from cleaner drifting onto waxed paint and removing/damaging finish on car.
5) Bumper was rested on dirty, probably gritty, floor. Bottom side of bumper likely scratched.
6) No steering wheel cover. No floor mat cover. No seat cover. Parts resting on seat during cabin filter change??

And yes. I am a nut. I work on concourse show cars all the time and have done so professionally as well. This video is not a testament on how a high value car should be cared for. He did a good job on the mechanics but failed on the finer points.

Porsche cannot cater to people like me. They are used to servicing SUV's all day. Unfortunately they charge for a service they don't have the capability to provide.

This is why I get cars back with dirty seats, stripped screws, broken clips, dirt on leather trim and steering wheel, scuffed paint, etc.
worf928 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 02:35 PM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
This service is average at best and raises concerns in a few spots for me. Unfortunately most dealers are far worse, which is why I avoid them like the plague.

2) Charger resting on car without cushion or cover (risk of scratching underhood areas)
4) Horse hair brush used with barely any cleaner on under hood areas scratch plastic. Overspray from cleaner drifting onto waxed paint and removing/damaging finish on car.
5) Bumper was rested on dirty, probably gritty, floor. Bottom side of bumper likely scratched.
6) No steering wheel cover. No floor mat cover. No seat cover. Parts resting on seat during cabin filter change??

And yes. I am a nut. I work on concourse show cars all the time and have done so professionally as well. This video is not a testament on how a high value car should be cared for. He did a good job on the mechanics but failed on the finer points.

Porsche cannot cater to people like me. They are used to servicing SUV's all day. Unfortunately they charge for a service they don't have the capability to provide.

This is why I get cars back with dirty seats, stripped screws, broken clips, dirt on leather trim and steering wheel, scuffed paint, etc.
I just had my white m3 professionally detailed by a guy who has been around forever, shows details on very high end vehicles all the time, etc.

The detail included a single stage polish and did not include a full interior detail. I paid too much.

When I picked it up, it had dried wax/sealant dust on the exterior windshields and just wasn't "tidy". It was decently done, but I could've done better for 3-3.5 hours work. I was dissapointed.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:34 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts

Wow - like holy crap! I'd love to see some pictures or a youtube of cars you worked on. I love seeing shots of meticulous work!

Old 04-02-2020, 04:04 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Wow - like holy crap! I'd love to see some pictures or a youtube of cars you worked on. I love seeing shots of meticulous work!
Most of the stuff we do now is our own cars or family. Some customer cars made it into magazines or took nice awards at point judging shows.

Its just a different world than most dealers understand. When you deal with owners who rub cars with a diaper in a heated garage, don't drive in the rain, etc then bring their prized possession to you for service, I feel you need to respect their car at that level of care or explain that you cannot provide that service. That is how I was taught.

My problem is if you are charging $500 for an oil change and talk the talk you need to walk the walk as well. Most mechanics that are servicing these cars have not lived and breathed the collector car world. They don't understand how some car owners treat their cars nor do they care. The dealers need to make money, they are charging enough to do the job right, but allow the mechanics to take short cuts. How long does it take to put fender covers on a car? Cover seats? Steering wheel? Put in paper mats? Use a bumper stand/rack? Use a screwdriver instead of a xx ft lb screw gun on a tiny screw?

A few months ago I got my SUV back from the dealer with grease smeared all over the light colored leather, doors, etc. It went in for an oil change. The mechanic came out and said he wore gloves (which he was wearing). His gloves were full of grease. This did not translate. He then came out with a bottle of heavy degreaser to clean the leather and was confused when I stopped him. It was ok. He just did not know. I cleaned the car at home without removing the dye from the leather. Its ok, I drive the car a lot, it is far from perfect.

It comes down the car you are servicing.

Some things in the video bother me even for working on daily driver cars (parts on leather seat!! Really!). This guy was ok doing these things and being video taped!

marcnyc (11-23-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:11 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts

I wholly agree with you. Though I may not be able to live up to the standard you're describing... I do service my 911 myself as it is my daily driver / puppy mobile and I believe nobody will give it as much care as I would. There have been two situations where I am not comfortable with doing the work myself and thus have had the good ppl at SOUL do it, but you are spot on.

Most of the stuff we do now is our own cars or family. Some customer cars made it into magazines or took nice awards at point judging shows.

Its just a different world than most dealers understand. When you deal with owners who rub cars with a diaper in a heated garage, don't drive in the rain, etc then bring their prized possession to you for service, I feel you need to respect their car at that level of care or explain that you cannot provide that service. That is how I was taught.

My problem is if you are charging $500 for an oil change and talk the talk you need to walk the walk as well. Most mechanics that are servicing these cars have not lived and breathed the collector car world. They don't understand how some car owners treat their cars nor do they care. The dealers need to make money, they are charging enough to do the job right, but allow the mechanics to take short cuts. How long does it take to put fender covers on a car? Cover seats? Steering wheel? Put in paper mats? Use a bumper stand/rack? Use a screwdriver instead of a xx ft lb screw gun on a tiny screw?

A few months ago I got my SUV back from the dealer with grease smeared all over the light colored leather, doors, etc. It went in for an oil change. The mechanic came out and said he wore gloves (which he was wearing). His gloves were full of grease. This did not translate. He then came out with a bottle of heavy degreaser to clean the leather and was confused when I stopped him. It was ok. He just did not know. I cleaned the car at home without removing the dye from the leather. Its ok, I drive the car a lot, it is far from perfect.

It comes down the car you are servicing.

Some things in the video bother me even for working on daily driver cars (parts on leather seat!! Really!). This guy was ok doing these things and being video taped!

Quick Reply: Major service-THE RIGHT WAY!