Sponsored by:

S - PowerKit vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 12:23 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
So why did you originally ask the question?! Again, you had it coming.
I asked the question because I keep reading threads where people comment that the GTS is so much better than the S. I always assumed the only difference was the PowerKit. As several have pointed out I was right.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:35 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
Had what coming? Insults from a kid? He does not ruffle my feathers. Others have confirmed the car is the exact same.
Maybe I dont ruffle your feathers but I sure do rustle your jimmies.

Its just not the same.. Forever an overpriced 4S.. The sales department all grouped up in the back and shouted "GOT'EEM!! and high fived each other.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:38 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

I asked the question because I keep reading threads where people comment that the GTS is so much better than the S. I always assumed the only difference was the PowerKit. As several have pointed out I was right.
Its absolutely not the same. The GTS and T are the unicorns of the Carrera lineup. GTS only 2wd with widebody rear and all GTS can have the GTS interior package. Including LWB in Europe. Centerlocks also offer less unsprung weight. Theres a reason it beats the S by 10 seconds on the ring.

GTS>S. Plain and simple.

If you knew, you wouldn't have made this thread.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:33 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

I love Rennlist. Attack a poster when they don't understand but are trying to...and sound superior when doing so

I debated between GTS and 4S when I bought my 991.2. The GTS is not for me but it's personal preference not better/worse. I remember one interesting thing the SA said and that is if you configure an S with GTS options (including the power kit), you do not have a GTS. The engine software is more aggressive in the GTS. So there is that...providing the SA knew what he was talking about.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:43 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

When I ordered my 2014 in September of 2013, I spec'd in the PowerKit option because the GTS was not yet available.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:12 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

You buy a 911...

You have two options.

Option 1.
You buy the dream spec you like and keep the car for many many years. Therefore you do not care for other trims or specs or depreciation because your car Will be a keeper.

Option 2.
You buy a nice to have Experience try learn as you pay spec that eventually you Will Sell it to buy another 911 or even another sports car. Because you are not sure if the 911 is the ideal car for you.

If you belong to Option 1 for sure you have to enjoy your time with the car and not open threads like this. It your car, your choise and your money. Enjoy in good health. Its a 911.....

If you belong to Option 2 there is a GOLDEN RULE. The less the options your car has the lower the loss Will be. Especially as Porsche options are quite price no one can guarrantee you that your car next buyer Will appreciate your PTS selection, power kit, RAS etc. Probably you Will pay to your dealer 40K for options and Finally Will get around 10K during the sale.

GTS trim is more "special" than normal Carrera S model. This is what PAG claims. Also GTS cars keep better value than S models.
In any case buy whatever you like and enjoy your time with your car.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:54 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Maybe I dont ruffle your feathers but I sure do rustle your jimmies.

Its just not the same.. Forever an overpriced 4S.. The sales department all grouped up in the back and shouted "GOT'EEM!! and high fived each other.
“Dad is that you?”
Old 03-10-2019, 09:04 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Its absolutely not the same. The GTS and T are the unicorns of the Carrera lineup. GTS only 2wd with widebody rear and all GTS can have the GTS interior package. Including LWB in Europe. Centerlocks also offer less unsprung weight. Theres a reason it beats the S by 10 seconds on the ring.

GTS>S. Plain and simple.

If you knew, you wouldn't have made this thread.
I have a 4S and would be comparing to 4GTS.

While you are screaming they are drastically different, they are basically the exact same car with differs emblem (Front and rear wheels are 1/2” wider).

what is funny is you think one is better because it’s a 4GTS and the other is a 4S w/ powerkit

If I was worried about price I would have skipped PCCB. Quick... tell me they’re not as good as steel.

Last edited by good2go; 03-10-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:12 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I love Rennlist. Attack a poster when they don't understand but are trying to...and sound superior when doing so

I debated between GTS and 4S when I bought my 991.2. The GTS is not for me but it's personal preference not better/worse. I remember one interesting thing the SA said and that is if you configure an S with GTS options (including the power kit), you do not have a GTS. The engine software is more aggressive in the GTS. So there is that...providing the SA knew what he was talking about.
This is exactly what I’m trying to learn. The PowerKit does flash the ECU. Is there a difference or are they the exact same.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:18 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The PowerKit I have in my 991.1 C2S cabriolet is the EXACT same PowerKit in all the GTS cars.

Brain
3rd radiator
Motor

Everything.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:19 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by nilaz
You buy a 911...

You have two options.

Option 1.
You buy the dream spec you like and keep the car for many many years. Therefore you do not care for other trims or specs or depreciation because your car Will be a keeper.

Option 2.
You buy a nice to have Experience try learn as you pay spec that eventually you Will Sell it to buy another 911 or even another sports car. Because you are not sure if the 911 is the ideal car for you.

If you belong to Option 1 for sure you have to enjoy your time with the car and not open threads like this. It your car, your choise and your money. Enjoy in good health. Its a 911.....

If you belong to Option 2 there is a GOLDEN RULE. The less the options your car has the lower the loss Will be. Especially as Porsche options are quite price no one can guarrantee you that your car next buyer Will appreciate your PTS selection, power kit, RAS etc. Probably you Will pay to your dealer 40K for options and Finally Will get around 10K during the sale.

GTS trim is more "special" than normal Carrera S model. This is what PAG claims. Also GTS cars keep better value than S models.
In any case buy whatever you like and enjoy your time with your car.
thanks. I won’t drive it forever. I did not even flinch when I wrote the check, I will never wonder what it’s worth. I will drive and park it anywhere. When I want a new car I will trade it in and get whatever it’s worth. My buy a new Porsche or something new.

i do really love driving the Porsche right now.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Yeah, my car total sucks. It's hard to drive a MY19 C4S SC, PSE, PDCC, RAS, PCCB, and PowerKit. All the cool kids are driving GTS.

More unique... its an investment. LOL I should have asked you which is the best car to buy.
Wouldn’t a 4GTS have been cheaper with those options than a 4S? It used to be the case with the 991.1, not sure about the 991.2. If not cheaper, unless you have an aversion to the black external trim or want more options in OEM non-black wheels, the GTS will do slightly better in resale value down the road compared an equivalent optioned S.

BTW, I have had a 991.1S, a second very loaded 991.1S w/powerkit, PCCBs and more, and now a 991.2GTS, my third and hopefully last 991 (lost the second one in a car accident). The 991.1S W/powerkit I had was built before the GTS was released. The nice thing about the S w/powerkit is you get the engine without the extra weight of the GTS. You lose that with the 4S w/powerkit vs 4GTS.

I don’t get the “my car is better than yours” debate or trolling, though. Unless you are a Porsche nut, no one in the real world knows or cares about which model you have or what options you have. Even at PCA driving events, I had just as many nice comments about my S cars as I do the GTS. Buy and drive what makes you happy.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S

I am really skeptical that the engine software is different for a GTS versus an S with a powerkit. That doesn’t make sense to me as they are the exact same engines with the exact same turbos in the .2.

I agree it comes down to personal preference. For the .1, the GTS was cheaper than an identically equipped S w/powerkit. Powerkit on the .2 is so much cheaper as an option than before, not sure that still holds true with the .2.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Wouldn’t a 4GTS have been cheaper with those options than a 4S? It used to be the case with the 991.1, not sure about the 991.2. If not cheaper, unless you have an aversion to the black external trim or want more options in OEM non-black wheels, the GTS will do slightly better in resale value down the road compared an equivalent optioned S.

BTW, I have had a 991.1S, a second very loaded 991.1S w/powerkit, PCCBs and more, and now a 991.2GTS, my third and hopefully last 991 (lost the second one in a car accident). The 991.1S W/powerkit I had was built before the GTS was released. The nice thing about the S w/powerkit is you get the engine without the extra weight of the GTS. You lose that with the 4S w/powerkit vs 4GTS.

I don’t get the “my car is better than yours” debate or trolling, though. Unless you are a Porsche nut, no one in the real world knows or cares about which model you have or what options you have. Even at PCA driving events, I had just as many nice comments about my S cars as I do the GTS. Buy and drive what makes you happy.
thanks. Really wasn’t a question about cost. My sales guy gave me a price I was happy with.

i wanted performance but I did not want low and aggressive. I drive in snow.

i know I’m in the right vehicle for me. I wanted to know if anything was different.

It it sounds like they are the exact same.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 AM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Just reading this, it does sound like you are pissed you don’t have a GTS. Otherwise why start the thread?

just sayin. It might not be the case. But reading through this, it appears so.

Quick Reply: S - PowerKit vs GTS