Sponsored by:

PDK SPORT+ mode, Manual Override, Hitting Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts
Default PDK SPORT+ mode, Manual Override, Hitting Limiter

I recently posted about wishing the car to shift automatically at redline even if one is driving in manual mode, as no one really needs to hit the rev limiter on purpose, and i have had times in track driving situations where i'm driving manual mode and with all the things happening around me, I forget to shift and hit the limiter. It would be nice if the car automatically shifted on those occasions.

Someone suggested I try driving in D on Sport+ and manually override using my paddles and see if the car will shift or hit the limiter at redline. I was at the track this weekend and totally forgot to try this, so I decided to guinea pig myself and try it on my way to work this morning.

PDK Sport + mode, driving in D, in third gear, manually overrode to second gear with paddle, and accelerated to red line. To my pleasant surprise, it shifted to third! It did not hit the limiter.

This pretty much solves my problems but kind of brought out another can of worms. When I manually overrode to 2nd and gassed it to redline, I did not want to bounce the limiter with alot of force, so I gradually increased the RPM and speed until it hit redline. it was slow but i think it took less than 3 seconds. Meaning, either two things. Either it did prevent me from redlining and shifted for me, or in Sport+ mode, the PDK reverts back to automatic so quickly after a shift override (FYI, I did notice the manual override reverts back to auto significantly quicker in Sport+ mode than in Normal or Sport), so before I hit the redline, the car had already reverted back to automatic. If it was the latter situation, while it does solve my problem, I'm not sure I would be comfortable doing it in a track driving scenario. if the PDK reverts back so quickly to automatic, I would be basically be constantly fighting the system manually overriding the car while the car also is trying to automatically shift for me. And both system and I are trying to gain maximum performance from the engine so both trying to shift at redline and both trying to downshift at higher revs. I'm not a computer whiz and I don't know how sturdy the PDK computer is, but I don't think repeatedly tyring to override the computer at every redline would be healthy. surely I would shift earlier but there would be times we both would be shifting exactly at redline together and I can't imagine how the system would take me overriding to shift while it is also trying to shift at the exact same moment, repeatedly. you do that enough and wouldn't you get the dreaded bluescreen that says sorry computer boom bye bye, like my PC computer?

any thoughts?
Old 03-04-2019, 05:04 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Its basic... if you put in manual mode it stays in manual (doesn't up shift or down shift by itself). If you its in drive and you manually shift, it will automatically up shift at red line and eventually automatically return to auto mode and get in proper gear.

Personally I end up in auto/D mode mostly and manually up shifting when accelerating. This way I get to decide which RPMs to be in and can floor the throttle to use all the power in the range and not be placed into the lowest gear. When I get up to speed it returns to automatic mode and I keep it there.

For cruising its typically 7th gear normal mode. For city driving its sports mode (1 gear lower than normal mode and doesn't go to 7th ever unless you're 75+ MPH). For any 'fun' driving I put it into sport plus so RPMs stay 3K+ always (or manual only in sport mode).

I do wish there was a 'wet mode' like in the upcoming generation. A trick to engage front wheels more is AWD car is keeping it 7th gear (manual only mode) and using lots of throttle. Otherwise in wet weather you're light on power to prevent slipping and front wheels don't really engage all that much.

Quick Reply: PDK SPORT+ mode, Manual Override, Hitting Limiter