Sponsored by:

Trading my Panamera Turbo S for 991 4s or gts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 05:42 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 800hpTurboS
What kind is power are people seeing from a tune on a 4s 991.2 let’s say.
My 991.2 GTS with a Cobb stage 2 tune makes 500whp/508wtq. I highly highly recommend it. You won't have any complaints about power at all. I take all three kids to school in it, and the 7 and 9 year olds can get in the back and buckle themselves.

​​​​The GTS is a car that puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. Definitely get a 991.2 and tune it.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:12 PM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gts is top on my list right now. Almost got a 997 gts before the Panamera.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:17 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Been using a BMW 550 M-Sport as a daily for a few years. Have a teenager and grade schooler. Wife has another 4-door sedan (BMW 340). The 550 is coming off lease soon, and will NOT be getting replaced with another 4-door sedan. Here is why.

Bought a 2016 C4S with Chrono, PDK, and that lovely Porsche Sports Exhaust last summer. Other than those beastly 4-door sedans (M5's, RS7's, Panamera Turbos, etc..) not much is going to pull away from you light to light. It sprints from 40-130 in a few blinks. On an open road, holds up to anything I've come across upto 130mph, at which point self preservation overcomes ego and I let off the gas, give them a wave and thanks for the pull.

Its very sure footed in the cold, rain, and snow with cold weather tires. My experience with the snows this winter convinced me to not replace the 550 and go to the 911 as my daily.

To me, getting to 40mph first isn't the most important attribute. Scaring the crap out of everything around with that roar as torque builds, and that feeling of torque building, is. As is the cruise and sprint to 130, from 40. And when tooling about doing errands, there is no drone, and its a very civilized ride. Just got to get use to jackwagons parking around me.

I don't disagree with the 911.2 comments above. Those hit max torque very fast. But your going to definately give up some exhaust notes as compared to the 911.1 with PSE. Turbos are what they are; fast and crazy fast.

Last edited by phefner; 03-03-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 03-03-2019, 06:24 PM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Originally Posted by phefner
Been using a BMW 550 M-Sport as a daily for a few years. Have a teenager and grade schooler. Wife has another 4-door sedan (BMW 340). The 550 is coming off lease soon, and will NOT be getting replaced with another 4-door sedan. Here is why.

Bought a 2016 C4S with Chrono, PDK, and that lovely Porsche Sports Exhaust last summer. Other than those beastly 4-door sedans (M5's, RS7's, Panamera Turbos, etc..) not much is going to pull away from you light to light. It sprints from 40-130 in a few blinks. On an open road, holds up to anything I've come across upto 130mph, at which point self preservation overcomes ego and I let off the gas, give them a wave and thanks for the pull.

Its very sure footed in the cold, rain, and snow with cold weather tires. My experience with the snows this winter convinced me to not replace the 550 and go to the 911 as my daily.

To me, getting to 40mph first isn't the most important attribute. Scaring the crap out of everything around with that roar as torque builds, and that feeling of torque building, is. As is the cruise and sprint to 130, from 40. And when tooling about doing errands, there is no drone, and its a very civilized ride. Just got to get use to jackwagons parking around me.

I don't disagree with the 911.2 comments above. Those hit max torque very fast. But your going to definately give up some exhaust notes as compared to the 911.1 with PSE. Turbos are what they are; fast and crazy fast.
yeah the sound is just amazing without the turbo on the c4s. The one I looked at last fall had dual mode exhaust. Sounded amazing. But just didn’t have the pull. Felt great driving. Just had an amazing feeling. I would be torn as to turbo vs n/a 911. And I do have a 2012 cayenne as my daily. So this Panamera isn’t my every day car. I don’t drive it In winter salt and snow. But I try to get it out as much as I can other seasons.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:06 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah the sound is just amazing without the turbo on the c4s. The one I looked at last fall had dual mode exhaust. Sounded amazing. But just didn’t have the pull. Felt great driving. Just had an amazing feeling. I would be torn as to turbo vs n/a 911. And I do have a 2012 cayenne as my daily. So this Panamera isn’t my every day car. I don’t drive it In winter salt and snow. But I try to get it out as much as I can other seasons.
Slap some sport cats on the turbo 991.2 cars and they sound great. I love my GTS with Akrapovic sport cats and exhaust. It's not as visceral sounding as my GT3 RS, but I think it sounds better than most NA 911s. That's very subjective, of course.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:35 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

My GTS is stage II ready and I’m going to enjoy it as is for a while. It’s plenty powerful and I love the exhaust note with aftermarket cats and headers. I’ll probably pull the trigger on a stage II tune in a few months. I’ve heard a stage II will make it as quick as the current stock 911TT/TTS.
The M5, RS7, E55 AMG, etc. are all beasts and sound glorious, not to mention they can embarrass many super cars in a straight line. A 991.2 911 GTS with a stage II tune (high flow cats, headers, air filter, and of course a ECU remap) will most likely outperform them all in a straight line and most definitely out corner them while sounding glorious in its own right...if you are into that sort of thing. If you want more, just buy a 911 TTS, slap on a tune, and it will annihilate 99% of the cars out there.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 03-04-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:15 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
911 rear seats aren't really useful for people or even kids. I think a 6 year old should fit fine though its not something you'd want to do much.

I had considered a panamera and driven a base model as a loaner. The handling difference is really noticeable... panamera drives like a large sedan with considerable body roll and heft, but its got lots of satisfactory power. The strong point is its a large 4 door family car and you're obviously giving that up with a 911. If you got another family hauler, go for it...only car? I wouldn't.
My 8 and 9 year olds love the back seats and we use them all the time.

OP, have you test-driven the Carrera T? It’s a gem.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:04 AM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Originally Posted by FORENN

My 8 and 9 year olds love the back seats and we use them all the time.

OP, have you test-driven the Carrera T? It’s a gem.
no I haven’t. I was doing some looking around last night and came across a 17 carrera. 3.0 turbo. Don’t know a ton about this model. Haven’t looked for them much but it came across in my price range. Any thoughts on these?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:26 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I have owned a lot of car including 43 Porsche's. I have two 911's and 2 718's now I did have a first generation Panamera, and it was not for me. I also have a Alfa 4C (great car if you what a pure drivers car get one with the 17/18" wheel package), which you can easily get for under 50K. My car is tuned (both engine a transmission flash, plus a few other things, and it outperformed my 430 (which even my friends at Algar agreed with). It may not have 800hp, but it also weighs a bit over 2000lbs, and no who ever gets a ride or drives it ever calls it slow. The response s more like Holt s..t what did you do to this thing. I am a big fan of Porsche's (obviously), but being fortunate enough in life to own over 470 cars has shown me that at least for me my cars need to have a purpose. Even if that purpose is to transport my dogs (they have a Jeep grand Cherokee), and OP if your purpose is a true sports car, there are other options out there, and you might be able to save money and accomplish your goal.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:48 AM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

I’m a fan of other cars. Actually thought about keeping the Panamera and adding a Maserati gran turismo or something fun in a 2 door. A 911 has been on my radar for quite a while. Something I’ve always wanted. Never was too specific on the model til I saw a gts. It’s got everything I want. And I originally thought I wanted n/a.... Til I got the Panamera turbo. It’s hard to go back. But I do love the sound of the n/a.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:30 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I’ve also thought about just finding a 996 style 911 and getting that to curb my appetite for a 911 while keeping the Panamera. But im affraid of the bearing issue, I think it is.
I wouldn't be afraid of the bearing (IMS) issue. Its relatively rare, most affected cars have been fixed and it's easily detected by a PPI. Having said that have you looked at a 997? They're bargains (almost screaming bargains IMO) and the interior is leagues ahead of the 996. I owned one for quite a while- it's every bit the 911 and is as enjoyable as my 17 C2S.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:40 AM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Originally Posted by George from MD
I wouldn't be afraid of the bearing (IMS) issue. Its relatively rare, most affected cars have been fixed and it's easily detected by a PPI. Having said that have you looked at a 997? They're bargains (almost screaming bargains IMO) and the interior is leagues ahead of the 996. I owned one for quite a while- it's every bit the 911 and is as enjoyable as my 17 C2S.
I have looked at a few. But I’m one of the rare people who really likes the look of the 996. I have wanted a c4s or turbo 996 for a while. Had the chance to drive both of them when I was young detailing cars. Gel in love with them.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:56 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

no I haven’t. I was doing some looking around last night and came across a 17 carrera. 3.0 turbo. Don’t know a ton about this model. Haven’t looked for them much but it came across in my price range. Any thoughts on these?
​​​​​​Here are a few personal observations on the Carrera T, borrowed from a post I made in another thread a while back. But you should also read/watch some reviews, take a look at the "911 T owners club" thread here on Rennlist (easy to find as it's typically on page one), as well as the Carrera T thread on the GT3 forum, and, most importantly, test-drive one to experience it. Test-driving the Carrera T before you make your decision is most critical. The T is not for everyone, of course (no car is), but there have been many converts after a test drive, including several GT guys like myself. Heck, even if you have no interest in buying one, it will be a fun time. There has been tons written about what makes the T special (our own Pete Stout provided one of the best reviews - get 000 Issue 006 if you don't already own it) but driving is believing. Here are a few quick observations as to why I (and I gather many others) believe the T is so special.

-- Combining the base Carrera engine with the T's suspension upgrades and RAS is an amazing match. The base Carrera engine (with smaller turbos) is my favorite in the Carrera range, very linear, no lag with great low-end torque and that "on-rails" feeling with RAS is sublime. And you will not want for power on the road.

-- Gearing and short shifter are outstanding. I prefer both the shorter gearing (just plain more fun) and the short shifter over anything else in the Carrera range.

-- The reduced sound deadening gives the cabin a sound and feel that make you feel more connected to the road -- the T feels much more like Carreras of old.

-- Aesthetics: This is entirely subjective, but I love the unique agate grey and titanium grey trim on the exterior. The grey trim gives the T an unusual -- and unusually good -- exterior look that is equally sporty and classic.

-- The Carrera T is the last of the narrow-body Carreras. The GTS and C4S are both wide body shells (which some prefer, of course), as is the entire range of 992 Carreras currently rolling out. This is important to me as I like smaller sports cars, particularly 911s, and I prefer the lines and slimmer build of the Carrera 2, 2S, and T.

​​​​​​Pound for pound (or fun for dollars), the Carrera T is the "sweet spot" in the 911 range imo, especially if you are looking for a fun, nimble road-focused sports car with a throw-back feel. This is not to knock the GTS or C4S in any way as both are fantastic cars. Indeed I owned a 991 C4S and came very close to purchasing a 991 GTS at one time, so I understand the attraction. But I do think looking into the Carrera T -- and taking a test drive -- is well worth your time.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:37 AM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Is the suspension different on the T than on a base carrera? I’ll have to check them out. I saw them when they were launched and thought they were interesting.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:14 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I have owned only one Porsche which is the 991.2 C2s parked in the garage. I think they list it at 420hp or just under that, and after almost three years of ownership I am just fine with that. I can definitely see the appeal of an 800hp Panamera. That thing must be a beast! What I love about the 911 is that it's pretty fast and handles like a dream while at the same time being a fairly practical car to drive around. Before I got the C2s I test drove a non-turbo C4 and loved the handling but hated the anemic power, which I why I went for the 991.2 3 liter turbo engine which makes good torque down low. It's a nice engine! Maybe not as sonorous as the non-turbo cars but that is offset by the nice power curve. The other thing with hp and cars is that you can throw a lot of money at a car and get huge hp but everything gets really expensive because of the weight of the car and the forces involved that require stronger parts to deal with the power. My 911 seems like a good compromise. For pure insanity, take my Ducati V4s sport bike. Not including rider weight, the weight to power ratio is around 2lbs per hp. Nuts! And the bike is pretty light too. I am not sure if there is a car out there than can compete with the Ducati for pure thrills. But back to the 911. We decided for the first time ever to lease the car because we had no idea how we would feel about it after the newness wore off. Would we just get tired of it and costs associated with owning it? The lease is ending in a few months and NO WAY are we turning this car in. We love it, and plan to just pay off the car at lease end and keep the car long term. The 911 has classic looks that never grow old. Can't say that for any other Porsche. Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: Trading my Panamera Turbo S for 991 4s or gts