Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport mode when first driving to warm oil up quicker.. yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 07:17 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Correct, Sport Auto warms up much faster because you have higher revs. That's also why the manual modes are the fastest (higher revs). What blew me away was when I calculated total engine revolutions to get to 160 degrees (your sport chrono captures enough data to do that), they are all about the same. So our cars aren't doing anything special to get to temp or to cool the oil on warm-up or whatever. It's just which driving mode gets you about 20k revs the fastest.
Interesting! Probably stupid question, but how do I get all that data from Sport Chrono? I'm assuming something I need to download onto a drive?
Old 03-02-2019, 09:07 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Not a stupid question. Once you have saved "laps", you can export to a flash drive within the sport chrono menus. I think I used the USB slot in the glove box. The data is saved in CSV files which are not the easiest to work with...IIRC parsing it out in Excel was not fun.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:32 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

This discussion is similar to eating dessert first, cutting in line, pants first underwear second, the faster I drive the less dirty the oil gets or as my 16 year old sister told my Dad when the brakes were totally worn to the backing plates 3 months after getting her license "everyone knows waiting until the last moment to stop uses less brake pad.

Good luck

Last edited by Steven C.; 03-02-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
This discussion is similar to eating desert first, cutting in line, pants first underwear second, the faster I drive the less dirty the oil gets or as my 16 year old sister told my Dad when the brakes were totally worn to the backing plates 3 months after getting her license "everyone knows waiting until the last moment to stop uses less brake pad.

Good luck
I like eating dessert first. Desert, not so much. To each his own.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:00 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 75 Posts

In Sport mode, it also runs the oil to an additional oil cooler I understand, but it's possible that said oil cooler is actually a heat exchanger like a laminova type setup (coolant pipes from engine cool the oil.) Since the coolant typically warms up faster, this could actually be part of the reason why the oil would heat up more quickly in Sport because it's going through a heat exchanger.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:36 AM
MDelaney
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts

This thread totally changed the way I warm up the car on cold mornings.

Never really gave much thought about targeting a specific temperature before exceeding 2k or 3k rpms. But now when I fire up the car, I toggle down to the water and oil temp menu so I can see the actual temperature number and keep track.

My old Audi S7 had a tach where the redline was indicated with led lights, and on cold start, the led's would light down to to 4500 rpms until the car warmed up (and the transmission computer would behave appropriately). But now I am an active participant in the warm up process, and based on this discussion, 4,500 seems a bit high..
Old 03-07-2019, 01:02 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

I keep the engine info display on as default. Sport is selected on start and the revs kept below 4k until the oil and water temps equalize.

I'm almost at the end of the run-in period, 100mi to go and except for a few blips to 6k, I've shifted at 4k since January when I picked it up.

Looking forward to letting it breathe.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,318 Likes on 487 Posts

^^^ I have set my ‘diamond’ button on the steering wheel to select the engine temps/info screen on the dashboard. Here in the UK, I wait until the oil temp has reached 90 degrees centigrade (or around 194 degrees Fahrenheit) before exceeding 4,000 rpm. I nearly always drive in Sport or Sport Plus mode and I have a manual gearbox.

Quick Reply: Sport mode when first driving to warm oil up quicker.. yay or nay?