Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:13 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 516 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish
hmmmmm.

What's the identifier for the reading?
There's a couple pressures related to boost; the true boost value is a sum of these values. Usually ambient and pre throttle.
used torque app, and check calue against oem gauge first and matched, but oem stops at 19 and torque app shows 20.7psi
Old 02-19-2019, 09:00 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 83 Posts

we had discussion on this topic a while ago on this forum to death. but i think the gist is that these modern cars are computer controlled to control the boost so that you get the linear feeling of a NA car and maintain the maximum HP your car is designated to have by bleeding the turbo through computer control. if this was an older turbo car, once the turbo hits max boost it should stay there through redline, but not in these 911s. the turbos boost is basically managed by the computer real time. its normal is what i'm trying to say i guess.

try launch control. you'll hit max boost
Old 02-25-2019, 10:07 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Update:

I notice that boost is higher at 65F temperatures.

~low 30F: Boosting to 12 (with 13 blips)
~40F: Boosting to 13 (with 14 blips)
~65F: Boosting to 14 (with 15 blips)

Early morning and later evening (when I typically drive) its lower peak boost by 1 or 2. Mid day its higher... I actually saw 16 in 1st gear when trying to repro at dealer.

Sport mode, sport plus, sport response etc doesn't do anything with peak boost. I haven't messed around with launch control. Sports plus keeps turbo always spooled 1-2.

I'm leaning toward that the car is tuned to use PSI boost to meet a performance target. This means the engine is LIMITING itself intentionally and things like weight aren't a factor. It goes how fast Porsche codes it to go. I suppose that means there's plenty of headroom for aftermarket hack tune, but I personally don't find myself wanting more power. I just want to know that I don't have something wrong with my car.

I'm still not sure about PSI dropping 1 or 2 1000 RPM before red line though.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:52 AM
minthral
Pro

75F and I've seeing 15 PSI a lot and up to 17 sometimes.

I think that my theory is correct. These engines are hard coded to boost less with colder/denser air and boost more when air is less dense to meet performance target. Kind of weird because my NA boxster performed better with denser air...noticeably worse in hot humid (+maybe high altitude). The plus side is everyone is getting consistent performance.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:52 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
75F and I've seeing 15 PSI a lot and up to 17 sometimes.

I think that my theory is correct. These engines are hard coded to boost less with colder/denser air and boost more when air is less dense to meet performance target. Kind of weird because my NA boxster performed better with denser air...noticeably worse in hot humid (+maybe high altitude). The plus side is everyone is getting consistent performance.
Nah, not weird. Modern turbo cars try to hit a specific torque target in all conditions being temperature and elevation. They just adjust the boost level. This makes the car feel the same in all conditions as much as possible. You're old na boxster has no such mechanism by which to compensate for changing ambient conditions.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Dtkf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Base is 12, S is 14, GTS is 16.

nah .. my s does 16 psi .. just tried it
Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtkf
nah .. my s does 16 psi .. just tried it
is that in all modes - normal, sport, sports + ?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Base is 12, S is 14, GTS is 16.
Actually the listed peak boosts are 0.9, 1.1, and 1.25 bar for the three models, which translates to 13.1, 16.0, and 18.1 psi.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:30 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Hmmm...my t only saw 10 psi. With Cobb stage 1 it’s at 15psi. Anyone with a base or a carerra t notice anything different on theirs? Wondering if I may have a small boost leak?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 AM
Dtkf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShaunP
is that in all modes - normal, sport, sports + ?
tried it on sport n sports + both at 1.1 bar which is 16 psi.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 AM
minthral
Pro

To anyone concerned about boost leaks and if something is wrong...

The reality is how much your car boosts compared to others is "it depends" on altitude, temperature, and air density. In less than ideal conditions an S model will boost up to 16-17 PSI peak. If conditions are good and it can meet its torque target, it simply won't boost as high.

I don't have GTS, but my understanding is boost is will be similar, however will be earlier and maintain in the RPM range. Assuming conditions call for it, a GTS will get to 16 PSI and stay there and slightly dip near redline, but in same conditions S will peak at 16 past 5k RPMs. A T or base model will be similar to S but 2-4 PSI less. The less boost the engine is doing the more NA it feels like so there are pros and cons for either model...people say GTS noticably feels boosty and the base car is more responsive, while an S without powerkit is somewhere in between (IMO closer to base car).

If you're not flooring it and revving in mid RPMs mostly like me, honestly peak boost isn't relevant since it's mostly less than 10 PSI. I think 50 more torque in S model would be noticable in this range though. I wish these cars had hp and toque gauge...
Old 03-19-2019, 01:17 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

That makes sense-thanks!!
Old 01-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Hmmm...my t only saw 10 psi. With Cobb stage 1 it’s at 15psi. Anyone with a base or a carerra t notice anything different on theirs? Wondering if I may have a small boost leak?
I dredged this thread up as I have noticed my car (base 3.0 ‘19) seems to max out at 10 as well, at least on the street without acting stupid but getting at or near redline in 2nd and 3rd. The car seems fine but I have never seen 13 (or anything over 10). I’ve been thinking of a tune but want to make sure everything is ok first.
Am I missing something?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Update:

I notice that boost is higher at 65F temperatures.

~low 30F: Boosting to 12 (with 13 blips)
~40F: Boosting to 13 (with 14 blips)
~65F: Boosting to 14 (with 15 blips)

Early morning and later evening (when I typically drive) its lower peak boost by 1 or 2. Mid day its higher... I actually saw 16 in 1st gear when trying to repro at dealer.

Sport mode, sport plus, sport response etc doesn't do anything with peak boost. I haven't messed around with launch control. Sports plus keeps turbo always spooled 1-2.

I'm leaning toward that the car is tuned to use PSI boost to meet a performance target. This means the engine is LIMITING itself intentionally and things like weight aren't a factor. It goes how fast Porsche codes it to go. I suppose that means there's plenty of headroom for aftermarket hack tune, but I personally don't find myself wanting more power. I just want to know that I don't have something wrong with my car.

I'm still not sure about PSI dropping 1 or 2 1000 RPM before red line though.
i literally just posed the following on another 991.2 boost thread...

2017 4s mt

during the summer months I was pulling the following:

in sport mode - 15-16 psi even hit 17 in a flash
in sports plus 17-18psi easily

these values were achieved due to TWO NEW factory turbos being installed (warrantee work).

more recently now that it is winter the boost has dropped to the following:

sports mode - 13 psi and I can hear the blow off valve really loud (or maybe I am hearing a leak)
sports plus - I am rapidly hitting 17psi then the blow off noises and then bouncing between 13-15 psi

is this normal behaviour given the car is now driving in the winter temps? Or should the boost be constant and independent of outdoor temps?

... is it possible I have a leak?
Rapter is online now Report Post
E

based on your post and a few other it seems your conclusion may be correct. The cold dense air is allowing the cars power/ torque target to be met and therefore less boost is needed.

do I have this right?
Old 01-10-2020, 07:40 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Yes I searched and don't see a definitive answer. If you want to try help, go ahead otherwise go grumbling somewhere else.

Ain't no one got time for that.
And stay off my lawn you little brat, and learn how to search.

Quick Reply: 991.2 S boost behavior