Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Qi Charger in Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 02:22 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

If you haven't, consider using this CFD designed print fan shroud, I found it improved print quality even more, especially with overhangs.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4376765
Old 10-31-2021, 05:41 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 88 Posts

A quick few pics of what I arrived at as a solution after trying the Qi charging. It does seem to work pretty well.

Just 3D printed a couple simple blocks applied with double-sided tape that serves as guides for the phone. Center block has a rounded cut out for a lightning cable. Lighting plug has degrees of freedom within the mount (which is good). Phone can be flexibly mounted and unmounted (muscle memory makes it seamless after a while). Can also be moved out of the way quickly to access the sunroof button.

I like that the phone screen is visible for quick checks (FaceID even works from this position). Another issue with keeping hidden within console is that I kept forgetting the phone in the car, LOL. So this avoids that.

Note that this is for an iPhone 12 mini, which will have smaller chassis than most other phones. Mounting blocks would have to be repositioned, or redesigned for a larger phone.

Last edited by devtec; 10-31-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Qi Charger in Armrest