Sponsored by:

SC rev match for first gear 2019 911T?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 PM
sp767
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quattroboy
On my 2017 7 spd with sport chrono, I can't seem to get it to rev match, but I could have sworn it worked before. Now that I read this ^^^^ I see that I have to be going faster. I'm going to give this a try!
Ok, I just proved the 2-1 rev match today.. earlier poster was correct, it will down shift 2-1, you just have to be going fast enough for it to do it
Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Starting off in second gear will be more stress on drivetrain than matching revs and shifting to first.
I'm not quite sure of what you're trying to say, "starting off", is that from a dead stop? If it is, it's not what is being discussed here, the question is does rev match happen in a 2-1 downshift while the car is moving. According to some, it happens somewhere around 15 MPH.

I never mentioned that I'm "starting off'" in 2nd. Don't know where you got that impression.

At slow speeds, not "starting off", I don't find a need to drop to 1st, 2nd does quite well.

On another note, rev matching is loads of fun, but the drivetrain components are wearing on up and down shifts, so maybe for fun but not all the time. There's no free ride.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:58 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
I'm not quite sure of what you're trying to say, "starting off", is that from a dead stop? If it is, it's not what is being discussed here, the question is does rev match happen in a 2-1 downshift while the car is moving. According to some, it happens somewhere around 15 MPH.

I never mentioned that I'm "starting off'" in 2nd. Don't know where you got that impression.

At slow speeds, not "starting off", I don't find a need to drop to 1st, 2nd does quite well.

On another note, rev matching is loads of fun, but the drivetrain components are wearing on up and down shifts, so maybe for fun but not all the time. There's no free ride.
Sorry, misread and thought you were starting in second. What components are wearing? Rev matching is WAY easier on the clutch ....if done correctly the clutch isn't needed. As for wearing out components.....everytime you start and drive the car you are "wearing out" components.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:04 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, misread and thought you were starting in second. What components are wearing? Rev matching is WAY easier on the clutch ....if done correctly the clutch isn't needed. As for wearing out components.....everytime you start and drive the car you are "wearing out" components.
If you're engaging/disengaging the clutch/drivetrain on upshift that's wear on the way up, if you're engaging the clutch and drivetrain on downshift that's wear on the way down.

You have to use the clutch/drivetrain to upshift, however, you don't have to use the clutch/drivetrain on downshift for "less spirited" driving when slowing down. Brake pads/discs are easier/cheaper to replace than clutches/release bearings/pressure plates/flywheels and the like.

Happy driving!
Old 02-13-2019, 03:57 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BSO
If you're engaging/disengaging the clutch/drivetrain on upshift that's wear on the way up, if you're engaging the clutch and drivetrain on downshift that's wear on the way down.

You have to use the clutch/drivetrain to upshift, however, you don't have to use the clutch/drivetrain on downshift for "less spirited" driving when slowing down. Brake pads/discs are easier/cheaper to replace than clutches/release bearings/pressure plates/flywheels and the like.

Happy driving!
Not sure how to reply to that . The only way there will be no wear on any parts is to park it. I've matched revs for 43 years and have NEVER had a driveline issue of any sort. THATS where the fun is. Wow....................
Old 02-14-2019, 12:11 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Not sure how to reply to that . The only way there will be no wear on any parts is to park it. I've matched revs for 43 years and have NEVER had a driveline issue of any sort. THATS where the fun is. Wow....................
Really think that drivetrain wear isn't greater by engaging the clutch both up and down as opposed to using it just to upshift? Don't know the answer to that thinking.

Your "parking it" doesn't relate to the wear issue as to actual driving. Why don't you pose the question to an auto tech and see what they come up with?

Have a good one.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BSO
Really think that drivetrain wear isn't greater by engaging the clutch both up and down as opposed to using it just to upshift? Don't know the answer to that thinking.

Your "parking it" doesn't relate to the wear issue as to actual driving. Why don't you pose the question to an auto tech and see what they come up with?

Have a good one.
As I mentioned, rev matching properly does not wear clutch at all. So I guess you never shift down at all? The only way to avoid any wear is to not drive it. No winning this one..................
Have a lovely day
Old 02-15-2019, 12:32 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

As I mentioned, rev matching properly does not wear clutch at all. So I guess you never shift down at all? The only way to avoid any wear is to not drive it. No winning this one..................
Have a lovely day
"Does not wear clutch at all". Do you know this as fact? You don't, unless you're able to produce facts to back what you wrote, you statement is purely empirical, so at best it's only an opinion. Your absolute statement is a poor basis for discussion, because you have to prove it. You need disassemble a sufficient number of identical model, in use and wear as well, manual transmissions and conduct a detailed examination on every one. Further, you have to use controlled experiment procedures to isolate that which is being examined, the "does not wear clutch at all" part.

Get back with me when you've got your supporting data.

BTW, today I was driving down the road on Sport with my windows down, shifting up and down and enjoying the ride, so your "guess" is completely wrong. And "guess" what, I'll be doing that tomorrow as well.

Nice to have had the discussion.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:44 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BSO
"Does not wear clutch at all". Do you know this as fact? You don't, unless you're able to produce facts to back what you wrote, you statement is purely empirical, so at best it's only an opinion. Your absolute statement is a poor basis for discussion, because you have to prove it. You need disassemble a sufficient number of identical model, in use and wear as well, manual transmissions and conduct a detailed examination on every one. Further, you have to use controlled experiment procedures to isolate that which is being examined, the "does not wear clutch at all" part.

Get back with me when you've got your supporting data.

BTW, today I was driving down the road on Sport with my windows down, shifting up and down and enjoying the ride, so your "guess" is completely wrong. And "guess" what, I'll be doing that tomorrow as well.

Nice to have had the discussion.
Are you serious? I can shift up and down without the clutch. How can I have any wear ? You are unbelievable. This discussion is pointless/ridiculous. I’m out.
I'm out. You are clueless.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:57 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

IMO, 911 1st gears are pretty low in both the PDK and manuals, and downshifts to first with either tranny aren't the sweetest, unless moving very slowly. But that's not the speed that most 911s are most frequently driven, so it's not a big deal to me.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:05 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Are you serious? I can shift up and down without the clutch. How can I have any wear ? You are unbelievable. This discussion is pointless/ridiculous. I’m out.
I'm out. You are clueless.

From the onset, I was referring to rev-matching with clutch, your replies implied no wear occurred when doing that; had you stated that you rev-matched without a clutch from the beginning of this exchange, I would have agreed with you, but you didn't bring this point up until your exit post.

Driving cluch-less with a transmission that cost $10k-$20k on the newer cars? That's up to the owner, it's good you feel comfortable doing that.

Last edited by BSO; 02-16-2019 at 01:30 AM.

Quick Reply: SC rev match for first gear 2019 911T?