Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1S odd sound at idle when engine cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:36 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe there are other threads on this issue, or at least on ones with a tapping noise. I have a 2017 C2S and on some days it taps for a while after startup and drive off. It actually can be a little embarrassing as I drive through the neighborhood. I'm having my dealer document it so I have a history of it happening this way iif anything were to happen after warranty they can't say I didn't report it.

A private off the record conversation with my Gold tech he said their tech forum it is a conversation and they are aware of it.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

That tapping sound is normal and it is the DFI high pressure fuel injection nozzles. Only hear it in idle, then it is “drowned out” from exhaust engine sound (noise) 🤣! Enjoy the ride in good health!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:55 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
Here is mine when idling cold at ~60 degrees ambient temp

Tick tick is right. Sounds louder from the passenger side than drivers.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991

Excellent. Thanks for the video. I was ok the fence about the AWE, but that sounds exactly like what I’m looking for. Do you get any drone on highway cruising? I’m assuming you have the HRE FF01 where too? Spacers on the wheels, they sit pretty flush? I’m guessing you’re lowered too? I like the entire setup a lot.
No real drone on the FWY, but if you want to go extra quiet just close the valves and it sounds stock. You are correct about the wheels, and no I do not have spacers. I ordered the wheels with an aggressive enough offset to not need them. I have SPASM suspension with H&R lowering springs. I love how it handles with that combo!
Old 02-08-2019, 03:39 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
Here is mine when idling cold at ~60 degrees ambient temp

https://youtu.be/KS5gOwYpBds
Background ticking is the valve train opening and closing the valves. When the engine warms up, the background ticking should quiet down.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Started my car up yesterday for the first time in a month and boy was it ticking. tt must have been 20 minutes before she finally warmed up.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:16 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 75 Posts

I actually narrowed down conditions for my "noise"; it is when the engine is cold, car is in drive (PDK) and idling at a stop with the foot on the brake. If you shift to neutral or park the noise goes away, same if you lift off of the brake pedal.

So perhaps it has to do with the transmission and something with the dual clutch mechanism instead of the engine?

Unfortunately, this makes it harder to capture a video as I need a second person to film or sit in the car with their foot on the brake, but I will try to get a recording this weekend.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:08 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Wink

stop agonizing about it. It’s completely normal. i’ve listened to the videos and upon cold startup and mine sounds exactly the same since new, 32k presently. Twice when she was in for service i asked different techs and both said, yup, very little sound deadening back there and its just normal cold 6 pot engine sounds. Embrace it.

Quick Reply: 991.1S odd sound at idle when engine cold