Sponsored by:

991.2 Engine misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:38 PM
neospazzy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 Engine misfire?

Just purchased a CPO 2017 991.2 Base Manual (with options including PSE and Sports Chrono) with 19K miles on it.

Yesterday during a drive, I noticed a "ka-thunk" noise coming from behind the car when I came to an intersection (0:04). It sounded like something fell off. I proceeded to drive into the shopping center and I heard the muffler putting away as if the engine is misfiring (0:29). A few seconds later, the sound coming from the engine got worse with a now "popping" noise as I proceeded to stop the car (0:44). There were no warning lights on the instrument panel. While parked, I gave it some throttle and it now sounded normal. I turned off the engine and walked around my car and found nothing unusual. Upon restarting the car and driving away, the issue did not come back. Weird!

I uploaded a video of the event from my dashcam. You may need to turn up your volume to hear it.

I scheduled an appointment with the dealership this Friday and I did send a copy of the video to the Porsche service adviser.

Anyone else experienced something similar? Is this an engine that is misfiring? Any insight of what possibly could be the issue could be useful if any of you experienced the same thing.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

What is your gas situation? Tank low? Bad gas??

It should have thrown some codes. The dealership should be able to read them.

Could be a bad/failing coil pack.

Report back.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, likely you have a dodgy ignition coil. Not expensive. When dealership plugs in their kit, it will tell them which cylinder. Apparently they are prone to water damage from underneath car if drive much in the wet.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:15 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
What is your gas situation? Tank low? Bad gas??

It should have thrown some codes. The dealership should be able to read them.

Could be a bad/failing coil pack.

Report back.
I would agree with this. Bad coil pack or packs. I’ve owned a lot of Audi’s, and I used to keep one in the trunk, because they always went bad. Your description is what I usually felt when one was bad.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,196 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Agreed, probably a coil pack. Check engine light eventually will come on if it persists. OBD-2 scanner hookup will show "Misfire Cylinder ___". Than just put in a new coil pack. Your's is under warranty, they could probably do that in 10 minutes once on the lift.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:43 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

this is easy. its the fetzer valve.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:12 PM
neospazzy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will mention about the coil packs to the dealership. I also read somewhere that it could also be rocks thrown up into the calipers. I took the car out last night the issue has not come back, but will take it in regardless just in case.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Engine misfire?