991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GTS vs 991.2 C2S. What to get used?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019 | 04:45 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

FWIW I have had zero issues w my 991.2GTS. I also had zero issues with my 2014 BMW M5, any of the three X5s, the 2009 M5, etc.

Forums are littered with people that have issues; people that don't have problems rarely speak up.

I don't think any of the high end brands in the modern era have appreciably more issues than others.
Old 01-27-2019 | 05:40 PM
jnolan
Pro

Most people would agree that owning a car for 4 hours and having the check engine light come on and then having the car at the dealer for 10 days (and counting) qualifies as exceptional. Even PCNA acknowledged that this is a completely unacceptable customer experience.

As you are no doubt aware, JD Power tracks the number of reported problems per 100 vehicles in the first year of ownership. Their data contradicts your statement about luxury brands. Lexus and Porsche consistently lead the list of most reliable, with Mercedes coming in 50% worse (somewhere around 12th on the list) and BMW in between them. For the first year of ownership on my GTS, I really didn’t have any serious issues. It was around month 14 that the electrical issue hit me and the service advisor told me they had over 40 hours of diagnosis time before they even isolated the problem, which I think you could say is serious.

Originally Posted by dhirm5
FWIW I have had zero issues w my 991.2GTS. I also had zero issues with my 2014 BMW M5, any of the three X5s, the 2009 M5, etc.

Forums are littered with people that have issues; people that don't have problems rarely speak up.

I don't think any of the high end brands in the modern era have appreciably more issues than others.
Old 10-29-2019 | 11:07 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

I just bought a used 2017 AMG GT S with a great spec (Hyacinth Red and brown Designo interior) and 20k kilometers on it (12k miles) for slightly under $100k CAD ($76k USD). I think the car is beautiful, it’s far more exotic looking than any regular 911, and has a prettier and higher quality interior than any 991 or 992. It’s properly quick too, on par with 991.1 Turbo or 991.2 GTS or 992 S. For the price, it’s truly a bargain.

The depreciation hit the previous owners took is insane though. My car (as specced) had an MSRP around $175k CAD, and now it has dropped to under $100k in just 2.5 years. There are just too many of these cars for sale, and that has been depressing values.

I find the ride quality over bumpy roads to be fine in the soft suspension setting, and the sound/feel of the car is much more of an event than any non-GT Porsche 911 or 718. It does feel big though and much less tossable than my Porsche 987, and having the steering wheels so far ahead of you feels disconcerting, at least initially.

I do wonder how much further it will depreciate. It’s hard to imagine such an exotic looking, exotic feeling, and exotically fast car depreciating to the price of a loaded Toyota Camry, but if the past 3 years trends continue, it will be there in another 4 years time.

Last edited by wizee; 10-29-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2019 | 02:16 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Porsche > MB. But this forum is biased
This should have ended the thread!

I tried to explore options outside of Porsche for even an SUV and just nothing was as good as Porsche. Some had more tech widgets but for transportation, nothing was as good as Porsche. I don't think this is different in any segment. Certainly not in 911!

I will say if your friend wants something modern and flashy though to go for the AMG over the 911 but that wears off.

Quick Reply: AMG GTS vs 991.2 C2S. What to get used?