Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What required options for 991 to use car as a true GT. .

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 11:57 PM
75Outlaw
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What required options for 991 to use car as a true GT. .

First post but I am looking at a few 991 base and S coupes to use as my daily. I sit in traffic in the middle of LA and I do longer drives out to Las Vegas and Palm springs quite frequently for work Only about `10K miles a year but a lot of sitting in traffic and on the freeway at night. I have a track car and yes I know a Panamera is a better choice but I love the 911.

Are there any must have options to set up a 991 as a true GT car. IE the base car does not have PDCC, the disconnects seem like they would make long freeway drives just that much more comfortable. I need PDK, and at a minimum the 14 way seats with the heat/cooled option and the stereo upgrade but is there something else I should be looking for.

Things I am on the fence about.
If I find a clean S sport chrono or not? (For the softer comfort setting more then the sport settings)
Glass roof
Bermister vs Bose Radio?
PDCC?
19/20 inch wheels. (Tire dependent I know)
In California is the 4/4S more comfortable with the larger tires and bigger width.

I don't want to go nuts and get a Turbo for commuting but that is what I test drove and it was fantastic at being a GT. Good suspension, good stereo, comfortable seats. They are in budget but way overkill for what I need. Evne the base car is great with the PDK.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:49 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Have you tried searching? Lots of threads on these topics.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The reality is that pretty much any 991 will be fine in traffic and for longer drives. There aren't that many options you truly need, but there are some nice ones to have. Here are my thoughts:

PDCC: I have it on my GTS, and I love it. I think it's supposed to make regular driving more comfortable, but I don't really think it's uncomfortable without it, I just like it for the flat cornering since I drive my cars pretty hard.
Sport chrono: I wouldn't get a car without it.
Glass roof: I love an open feeling car, so that's a yes for me. Especially in a grand touring car, it makes the cabin feel more open and airy. For me it would be a must in LA, or a cab/targa.
Wheels: Get 20in. They're totally fine comfort wise, and the 19s look goofy on the 991. It was designed for 20in wheels and doesn't look right without them.
Radio: The Bose isn't too bad if you tweak the bass/treble settings. At stock settings it sounds like garbage, but that's true of any stereo I've had in every car. I've heard the Burmester is supposed to be great, but unfortunately I haven't heard one in person. I'm very happy with the Bose, but if I was speccing a car from scratch I'd spring for the Burmester since I listen to music all the time and it would be worth it for me.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

My only real recommendation is to sit in the various seat options and don’t assume one is more comfortable for you than another. All five seat choices have their advocates and detractors but it mainly depends on you. For example, the base 4 ways and 14 ways are not comfortable for me whereas LWB and 4/18 way sport plus are. Base stereo is fine for me but I would spring for burmester and would not give you a penny more for bose. One thing I find bothersome is bright trim inside so no stock silver or brushed aluminium trim for me.

Heated MF wheel would be nice. I wish I had one (well I do but it won’t work in a GT3).
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

I’ve owned a 996, a 997, and a 991. Honestly, any of them would work fine for a GT car. The 997 was a bit cushier than the 996, and the 991 is comparable to the 997 in terms of overall comfort. The suspension on the 991 is more compliant and comfortable than the 997 or the 996, even with 20” wheels. The 991 makes a great GT car in stock form. I have the Burmester system in my car, and it’s fantastic. That said, I get more enjoyment out of cruising with the top down and listening to the engine/exhaust noises. I suspect that sitting in heavy traffic would change my mind on this...

As mentioned above, the seats will have quite a bit to do with the comfort that you seek. I’d try a few and see what you like. I have the 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats in my car. They are comfortable to me, but many people complain that they are narrow or tight. Again - I don’t have an issue with this, but some people do.

Last edited by Dennis C; 01-24-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:38 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Nothing. No options needed. The options all add to performance. PDCC will do nothing for ride comfort but tighten up the car when you accelerate or throw the car hard into a corner. You can get some aesthetic things or a better stereo but that is all just personal preference.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:57 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
My only real recommendation is to sit in the various seat options and don’t assume one is more comfortable for you than another. All five seat choices have their advocates and detractors but it mainly depends on you. For example, the base 4 ways and 14 ways are not comfortable for me whereas LWB and 4/18 way sport plus are. Base stereo is fine for me but I would spring for burmester and would not give you a penny more for bose. One thing I find bothersome is bright trim inside so no stock silver or brushed aluminium trim for me.

Heated MF wheel would be nice. I wish I had one (well I do but it won’t work in a GT3).
+1

I would also make make sure I had ventilated seats in LA / PS.

A nice to have is full leather. I've had a 991 with and without and am still surprised how much the full leather adds to the commuting / DD experience.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:04 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Had base seats in one 991, couldn't stand them after 30 minutes. Had to sell the car and get one with sport + seats. Much more comfy for me. Never tried the 14 or 18 way because I like to slide the seat all the way back every time I get out of the car, and manually doing it is much quicker than electrically. Had LWBs in my GT4, but went back to sport + for the GT3 and love them.

I guess my point is, if you can, sit in whatever seats for an extended period of time before deciding. What feels good on a short test drive or sitting in the showroom, might not after 20-30 minutes.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:16 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm in BayArea and insane traffic is the norm here regardless of day or time.

18 way seats, heated/vented, I own a 7spd manual and used to always driving manual in Cali. Don't do bigger than 20's in California roads due to our terrible pothole-laden roads. My S also has PDCC but I don't use it much. I have Bose and it's sufficient enough for music. If you're stuck in traffic a lot in the dead heat of the sun I suggest getting some really good tint with high heat and uv resistance so you don't feel your face or arms burning from the sun.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 PM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

8,200 miles in 14 ways over the course of three weeks. I think that counts as a Grand Tour. Multi-function wheel was awesome. Ventilated seats helped a few times. So did heated seats as I saw < 20 degress to over 90. Good radar detector was key. Laser jammer, less so.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch
Have you tried searching? Lots of threads on these topics.
Yeah, you need to do some research here by reading threads and learning about the options, and cars as well. Hope to see you get one though!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Hard to find, but maybe Adaptive Cruise?
Old 01-24-2019, 08:58 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
18 way seats, heated/vented
Agreed 100%, I've done several long drives + sat in commuter traffic in my 911 and both of these have been huge in terms of comfort level. If you're into music add Burmester and you have the perfect combination for your needs.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Hard to find, but maybe Adaptive Cruise?
I would avoid this like the plague because it adds a really ugly radar wart in the middle of the front bumper. I originally specced a Turbo S with it, but I changed my mind quickly when I saw how ugly it was. In practice I almost never use the adaptive cruise in the cars I have them in anyway, not even on 20 hour road trips. YMMV.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:51 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts

I’d go for some niceties like full leather, burmester sound, and whichever seats fit you best. 19s for comfort but I’m happy with my 20s. Anything outside of that isn’t going to give you much.

Quick Reply: What required options for 991 to use car as a true GT. .