Sponsored by:

Intercoolers - AMS v Tial v Any Others

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 03:44 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Intercoolers - AMS v Tial v Any Others

Anyone with the AMS or Tial or other intercoolers, please share your experience.

There was an AMS customer that installed these on his 991 but said the results were basically nothing until he installed
this fin this fin
in a reverse orientation on the rear fin so air would go into the ducts for intercooler under the rear wing, and after that only then did he see an increase in efficiency. Lot of money to end up having this plastic be what helped. I have the item now and plan to install on stock intercoolers first.

Have any of you installed the Tial intercoolers or some other brand and what were your results? Did you log after install?

Are there any other options for our 991.2 cars?

I am interested in intercoolers being the next hardware item added to Darkness. Need to wait on larger turbos to come to market and these will likely be a requirement so may as well do this now.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

I was told that intercoolers would help my car tremendously while it was strapped on the dyno,

IMO the difference between AMS and Tial are going to be negligible. They're both thicker than stock and they're both located in the same area.. The same amount of air is flowing through them.

You can discuss quality as one is "made in china" and one is made in the US(tial).. The AMS intercoolers use Garrett cores. One is not going to be head and shoulders above the other.

As for that strip piece.. I'm sure it may work but there is not way in hell i'm sticking that on my car.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
As for that strip piece.. I'm sure it may work but there is not way in hell i'm sticking that on my car.
Haha I agree it is lame as **** looking. I have two sets of end caps and plan to only put above area of inlets and not the whole thing. Looks totally ricer.

Also any guesses if both going to improve the same with pressure loss over stock?

Apparently someone here is working on a printed option that would look and function better than this for the reasons mentioned above. I forgot who it was that mentioned this.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Well, part of the reason the 992 went to a completely different IC setup is because it's hard to get air to and thru the ICs. ICs do no good if you can't get cooling airflow through them. So what that guy did with the fin is basically make an air scoop to get more air through the ICs.

This is data from AMS:

AMS uses a big thick Garrett core (made in Mexicali, Mexico FYI). So the bigger core should have lower pressure drop for the charge air from the turbo going through it. It also has more thermal mass to absorb heat. Because the core is thicker, it's more pressure drop for the cooling air from the outside to get through. So, without a scientific test, I would guess the AMS will performe better than the stock IC over a single pull because it has more mass to absorb more heat. That's shown in the test data from AMS. What happens over long duration WOT is hard to say because no one has done any solid testing that I know of. So i guess the unknown is if the AMS and upcoming Tial cores are not too thick to prevent sufficient cooling airflow to get through the ICs compared to stock.

I was thinking the Techart rear spoiler wing II looks like it basically has a built-in scoop, but there's not test data on it and how it affects IC cooling.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:37 PM
Psorcery
Banned

I wonder what the just the scoops off the techart would look like sans the wing.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:28 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 629 Posts

If I knew this would work, I would do this, without the big wing.
I like the little wing below, and I love the carbon scoopes.

I have the AMS intercoolers. Another week to go and Pro-Tune should be getting released. Then amateur hour is over.

GT2 Carbon
Old 01-24-2019, 10:24 AM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 73 Posts

Just raise the rear wing manually i.e. with the button, it lets a lot more air into the IC's. Doing some 60-130 runs this morning in a very cold UK. intake temps were 33C wing down and 15C wing up from start.

Last edited by GT3ZZZ; 01-24-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
Just raise the rear wing manually i.e. with the button, it lets a lot more air into the IC's. Doing some 60-130 runs this morning in a very cold UK. intake temps were 33C wing down and 15C wing up from start.
Stock air flow is not sufficient and bottle necking. These cars weren't meant to output stage 2 + power on a continuous basis..
Old 01-24-2019, 03:22 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Would be interesting to see some heat soak and recovery data. My gut feeling is that the bigger cores are more problematic once they get hot, but they will take a bit longer to get there. Thicker cores are harder to push ambient airflow through, that's just an unfortunate function of physics, compounded by the intercooler's location (poor airflow).

I'd love to see an Air/Water setup for these cars. Would be a nightmare of an install, but there's some good real estate in the front end for good heat exchange.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Perhaps the intercoolers would benefit from some fans, like the radiators? They could be coupled to a thermostat so they would only run when intake air temperature got high.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:32 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Would be interesting to see some heat soak and recovery data. My gut feeling is that the bigger cores are more problematic once they get hot, but they will take a bit longer to get there. Thicker cores are harder to push ambient airflow through, that's just an unfortunate function of physics, compounded by the intercooler's location (poor airflow).

I'd love to see an Air/Water setup for these cars. Would be a nightmare of an install, but there's some good real estate in the front end for good heat exchange.
Until we can see some actual real world data logs comparing the stock IC's to aftermarket, I think the majority of the data coming off the dyno's is just due to the fact that the larger cores take longer to heat soak with low airflow conditions on a dyno.

Im not saying they are not effective, just dyno testing them while static doesn't really provide me the information I care about. If the cores are so thick or the fin/bar density so high that they slow airflow through when driving, they may not be as effective as demonstrated by the data available.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 629 Posts

Have you heard of the Alpha 9 and Alpha 12 GTR? AMS have been doing this for awhile. I turst they know how to make some power.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:42 PM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the new TiAL ICs with the 3D Aluminum printed end tanks. I also have their upgraded turbos, inlets, and 3D AL printed plenum ...

There are some good pictures and description of these parts and the install process here: http://www.brrperformance.com/projec..._More_Power_42

I'm happy to share the actual logs, but I've been amazed at how low my IATs have been both just cruising and under load. Cruising on the highway, I've seen as low as 2 degrees over ambient. Then after a full throttle hard run where I'm hitting 22-23 psi for a few seconds, the IATs only rise to about 10 degrees over ambient. I don't have stock data to compare against (and that's certainly not stock boost levels!), but I've been extremely impressed.

It's worth noting that the TiAL solution is extremely well thought out and tested. I spoke with one of the designers (Jonathan C) at length and he told me how they spent weeks just adjusting the angle of the IC mount to achieve the best results ... a one or two degree rotation made a difference in terms of both the air flowing across the IC for cooling as well as reducing the pressure drop for the air flowing through. The fact that they went to this level of details speaks volumes to me.

Also the end tanks are works of art. There is absolutely the bare minimum amount of material needed to get the job done which means they are both lightweight and flow incredibly well - something you can't do with traditional cast manufacturing.

These guys are extremely passionate about Engineering, cars, and performance - and it shows in their products! I just wanted to give them a plug since I'm a happy customer and think they deserve the praise for advancing the art as they seem to be doing!
The following users liked this post:
Steven31371 (06-11-2020)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:03 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by joshd
I have the new TiAL ICs with the 3D Aluminum printed end tanks. I also have their upgraded turbos, inlets, and 3D AL printed plenum ...

There are some good pictures and description of these parts and the install process here: http://www.brrperformance.com/projec..._More_Power_42

I'm happy to share the actual logs, but I've been amazed at how low my IATs have been both just cruising and under load. Cruising on the highway, I've seen as low as 2 degrees over ambient. Then after a full throttle hard run where I'm hitting 22-23 psi for a few seconds, the IATs only rise to about 10 degrees over ambient. I don't have stock data to compare against (and that's certainly not stock boost levels!), but I've been extremely impressed.

It's worth noting that the TiAL solution is extremely well thought out and tested. I spoke with one of the designers (Jonathan C) at length and he told me how they spent weeks just adjusting the angle of the IC mount to achieve the best results ... a one or two degree rotation made a difference in terms of both the air flowing across the IC for cooling as well as reducing the pressure drop for the air flowing through. The fact that they went to this level of details speaks volumes to me.

Also the end tanks are works of art. There is absolutely the bare minimum amount of material needed to get the job done which means they are both lightweight and flow incredibly well - something you can't do with traditional cast manufacturing.

These guys are extremely passionate about Engineering, cars, and performance - and it shows in their products! I just wanted to give them a plug since I'm a happy customer and think they deserve the praise for advancing the art as they seem to be doing!
Not to call you out or anything, but I'd like to see temperature numbers under extended period of time going WOT or to redline.. At least 20 seconds of on and off WOT... From my experience a few seconds under WOT is still manageable.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:50 PM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Not to call you out or anything, but I'd like to see temperature numbers under extended period of time going WOT or to redline.. At least 20 seconds of on and off WOT... From my experience a few seconds under WOT is still manageable.
Yes, I would love to share logs of any reasonable test that people want to see. The numbers I gave were based on my anecdotal observations of watching the AP gauges while playing around on the highway. I have no problem doing a more scientific test and then posting the logs ... of course there will always be someone that's gonna say I faked something if it looks too good, but whatever ... I'm more interested in real data and not trying to sell anything. I do think Jonathan and the TiAL/Mimo folks are designing and fabricating some amazing parts by taking advantage of the latest software and 3D AL printing tech, and that's great for all of us!

Quick Reply: Intercoolers - AMS v Tial v Any Others