Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing and washing do's and don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 01:39 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Detailing and washing do's and don'ts?

I've been cleaning my own cars for many years (always use the two bucket method with grit guards, microfiber towels, etc), but am new to the Porsche world and was wondering if there were any key DO's or DON'Ts when cleaning my 991? Especially a white one.

Feel free to point me to a thread if there is one but I didn't see any after a few searches.

Same question as applies to the interior....any products to avoid? I've never had perforated seats before so how concerned should I be about getting cleaning products into the holes?

Favorite products either interior or exterior?

I haven't done a polish or wax/sealant yet on the Porsche, but am moderately skilled at paint correction with a Porter Cable 7424XP.

Random pic of my baby's first bath under my ownership (yes, I wash the car indoors.)

Old 01-23-2019, 03:03 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Hello, nice car.

I am a former semi pro detailer. I find that there's too much marketing going on with the dos and don'ts to sell a product. Many things are way too time consuming for a home setup.

My advice is to leave the polishing and waxing to a pro as you can easily have an accident that would cause major headache... If something happens, it's on them.

Just don't touch the paint. Ever. Stick to your foam cannon and two bucket method(which I am also finding too messy and time consuming). Dont trust too much into waterless washes unless you've got PPF.

Best thing to do is get a full detail plus PPF or at the least a ceramic coating. Do your glass and wheels too. Upkeep your black plastics and rubbers. You should be good to go.

The only way I'd stick to traditional detailing (clay, polish, wax etc) is if I was like Bob Z and had literally nothing but time on my hands. AKA a hobby..

For the interior.. I find wetting a towel prior to going for the seats works well on these seats. I've soaked them and wiped before. It works just fine but when you turn on your heated/ventilated seats you'll get a moldy wet rag scent until the water dries(15 minutes or so).

Dont use degreasers inside. I like to use a PH balanced product like chemical guys nonsense and a boars hair brush. Apply, agitate and wipe.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:11 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

For the interior I like 303 Aerospace. Or 303 Protectant if it is easier for you to find locally.

Big fan of Jescar Power Lock Plus in terms of paint sealants. After each wash spray a little Griots Spray On Wax and you'll be good to go for a long time.

Another one I've been liking post-wash is Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish. Sometimes I use that instead of the Griots.

My favorite soap for maintenance washes with the foam cannon is Chemical Guys Mr Pink. Also use Meguiar's Gold Class sometimes.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

At the end of the day, it's a car.
What applies in terms of detailing for other cars, applies to Porsche's as well.

You got a good basis with the 2 bucket, grit guard, microfiber towels etc...I don't think you need anything else.

Ceramic coating is something I'd recommend. If your skilled with polishing and correcting paint, applying a coating should not be too difficult.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:22 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Good tips, thanks! I also like the 303 aerospace on the interior and rubber bits.

Anything in particular that people use for the gauge faces? On others cars those are often cheap plastic and easy to scratch. I usually just use the 303 on them with an MF towel.

I also picked up some of this Gyeon stuff with my last order, but have yet to try it out:
https://www.detailedimage.com/Gyeon-...423/500-ml-S1/

Normally, for sealant I use Blackfire Wet Diamond, which I've always loved as it's easy to apply and remove. But my past few cars have been darker cars (blue) and I'm not sure a white car will ever had the "depth" to the paint that a darker color will.

I also noticed the aluminum inlays on the engine cover (where the fans are) look like the previous owner used something on them that hurt the finish. Not a big deal as they're normally hidden but I want to try to clean or polish them up in the future. (Not a great photo of the issue, but sort of gives you the idea.)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:52 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Masterblaster
Old 01-23-2019, 06:09 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Aatish;15587491]At the end of the day, it's a car.
What applies in terms of detailing for other cars, applies to Porsche's as well.

You got a good basis with the 2 bucket, grit guard, microfiber towels etc...I don't think you need anything else.

I agree with this ^

I will add, I'm a big fan of the foam gun, A bit messy, but works well. I love Zaino products. They're great and very easy to use. Something new I want to try on the tires is - McKees 37. Some pretty good reviews. Basically a tire shine sealant that last much longer than the usual products.

https://www.autogeek.net/dp-tire-coating.html
Old 01-23-2019, 06:13 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't use two buckets and use sand at bottom to filter particles, then never forget the crisco for awesome gloss! Wipe crisco off with oven mitts. Olive oil for leather, electric razor for level carpet and NEVER forget the BEER!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
Random pic of my baby's first bath under my ownership (yes, I wash the car indoors.)
Looks like you live in an apartment in California. Don't they give you s**t for washing your car because of the water shortage?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:21 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
Looks like you live in an apartment in California. Don't they give you s**t for washing your car because of the water shortage?
Haha, yes but only during droughts. They passed a law that the police can actually fine you if you're washing your car without a nozzle on your hose (meaning just letting it run freely), but honestly who does that anyway?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ I believe Uncle Jerry recently made it a permanent year-round ban. It's a $500.00 fine and they're encouraging people to rat out their neighbors.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
^^^ I believe Uncle Jerry recently made it a permanent year-round ban. It's a $500.00 fine and they're encouraging people to rat out their neighbors.
That’s nuts. Rat out you neighbor. Not a chance. This ain’t N Korea.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Pretty cool that you have access to a hose in the garage! I have do to a waterless wash in my garage so currently I use ONR. Once I run out, I'll likely switch to the Ammo kit which I've heard good things about. https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/hoseless-lift-kit-150/

I attempted to do a paint correction on mine about a year ago with my Porter Cable but was only able to get 50% of the swirls out...need to attempt again. Probably was using wrong pads or need better cutting / polishing products...and I'm also an amateur.

Btw, the frunk opens if you wave your hand over it. The only time this feature seems to work for me is when washing the car so watch out for that.
​​​
For interior detailing, I use Leather Master Strong cleaner followed by Leather Master Vital. This stuff works great for full leather and keeps the matte OEM look going. If you want to try some of the leather master products out, feel free to let me know and you can try some of mine.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Plastic, like gauges faces, should be cleaned with Novus Plastic Polish (https://www.novuspolish.com/) which I started using on motorcycle shields many moons ago.

And even though I have a lot of free time cleaning is not how I wish to use it, and it hurts my back as well so I like to clean quickly, but correctly. I use OptiRinse since my car is OptiCoated (Plus) and it has PPF, which makes it pretty easy with good microfibers & waffle towels.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd

That’s nuts. Rat out you neighbor. Not a chance. This ain’t N Korea.
Have you followed events in California? Not fully North Korea yet, but more North than South now.

Quick Reply: Detailing and washing do's and don'ts?