Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If using CarPlay, am I limited to one phone at a time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:58 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts
Default If using CarPlay, am I limited to one phone at a time?

Realized this morning that CarPlay might not work like I had hoped. In my BMW I had an old phone that stayed connected in the console via USB all the time. Its job was Spotify via BMW's integrated app. My main phone, the one in my pocket, would connect via Bluetooth and its job was to handle phone calls and text messages.

Can I do that in my Porsche when CarPlay is in use?

It does not seem to be the case. When I plug my spare phone in to handle Spotify and Waze via CarPlay it disconnects my main phone so I no longer receive calls or text messages via Bluetooth.

I'll pull the manuals out tonight and do some reading but figured I'd post to see if anyone could answer for me in the meantime.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:09 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Realized this morning that CarPlay might not work like I had hoped. In my BMW I had an old phone that stayed connected in the console via USB all the time. Its job was Spotify via BMW's integrated app. My main phone, the one in my pocket, would connect via Bluetooth and its job was to handle phone calls and text messages.

Can I do that in my Porsche when CarPlay is in use?

It does not seem to be the case. When I plug my spare phone in to handle Spotify and Waze via CarPlay it disconnects my main phone so I no longer receive calls or text messages via Bluetooth.

I'll pull the manuals out tonight and do some reading but figured I'd post to see if anyone could answer for me in the meantime.

Thanks!
From my 2017 991.2 manual:
  • If you use Apple CarPlayTM, you can only use the connected iPhone®for making calls. Mobile phones that are connected to the PCM via Bluetooth® are automatically disconnected.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:23 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

You can forward calls and texts to your connected phone while in the car, but it is another step, and must remember to unforward when out of the car.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:52 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Thank you both. Exactly what I needed to know.

I'll just get a longer cable.

Bummer, but at least I know.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:57 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see the need for 2 phones. My iPhone handles text, calls and Spotify. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:46 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
I don't see the need for 2 phones. My iPhone handles text, calls and Spotify. Maybe I'm missing something.
I'm in and out of my car a bit and it's a pain to have to deal with getting the phone out of my pocket and connecting it in the console each time. In my old car I'd just hop in and go. Bluetooth would take care of my calls and text messages. The hardwired phone took care of entertainment.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:26 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^ I’m hoping someone comes up with an aftermarket solution to enable connection via Bluetooth. BMW has it on their newer cars.

Trending Topics

Old 05-29-2019, 11:54 AM
scottlma
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

This "feature" is a serious annoyance in my 2017 C4S. I also want to keep a dedicated phone in the car for Waze, music, etc and still use my "regular" phone via bluetooth (as I do in my MB and have in other makes of cars). PCM seems to permit multiple simultaneous phones via bluetooth, but using Carplay backs it down to only one - the one connected via cable.

Hopefully Porsche will consider a PCM update for this (unlikely but i'll keep hoping.)

Quick Reply: If using CarPlay, am I limited to one phone at a time?