Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 669 Posts

DvD5, how often do you scrape the front lip now?

And be proud of your amber side markers!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 AM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I scrape my stock base (whatever the non-S sport one is called) all the time. I can’t imagine being that much lower. I’d be destroying the nose of my car. I already feel like I take many entries slow and at crazy angles to minimize scraping. Next one will have front end lift, no doubt. I’ve seen the light!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:11 AM
DvD5
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Scraping

Originally Posted by bkrantz
DvD5, how often do you scrape the front lip now?

And be proud of your amber side markers!
Yeah, I'll probably keep the amber side markers...

Definitely scrape more now, mainly on driveways. Speed bumps don't seem to be a problem and I haven't found any problems on roads including steep, twisty roads. Fortunately, I mostly drive this car on back roads, so I don't really encounter driveways that often.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:00 AM
windblow
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXGold
Are the Eibach lower slightly than sPASM or slightly higher than sPASM?

Anyone know the spring rates of the Eibach or any of them for that matter?

what sway bars pair the best with above springs?

if I only want to start with one axle for the swaybars to start is rear the best?

what parts are needed to get full alignment with lowering springs.

for those wondering all three of the sleeve coilover conversions(HR, KW & ER) WILL NOT work with FAL (front axle lift).

Eibachs are slightly lower than SPASM. SPASM is 10 mm lower than regular PASM while Eibach is 20 mm lower in front and 13 mm lower in rear so it has a little rake.

You don't need to change swaybars. With bigger swaybars, your ride will suffer accordingly. DSC V3 works much better, firming up your PASM suspension as needed in aggressive driving and softening the ride in street driving. And it gives you the ability to fine tune the settings.

I didn't need any additional parts stock or aftermarket to do a full alignment since it's just slightly lower than SPASM. The shop was able to set camber a little more aggressive while setting everything else to specs. My cab is covered in storage mode at the moment so no pics.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 AM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

thanks for all the responses... i had decided on the techarts, but right before ordering, changed gears and went with the H&Rs. Probably tear the front end off the car, but at least I'll be able to report back to the forum!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:00 AM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DvD5
Those adjustable coilovers at Tirerack seem to be progressive springs, too. I was thinking of these from Elephant racing for a bit more: https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...-kits-for-991/

Agree that the Techart can pogo stick a bit, but so far I don't think it's worse than the stock setup.
I'm going to go with the Elephant Racing coilover conversion kit for a few reasons. 1) they use linear springs 2) offer different spring rates 3) retain the PASM shocks and 4) bought the DSC V3 to stiffen the shocks for track days.

Also, sway bars do not affect the ride, they control the roll when cornering so it reduces the weight transfer. Tarett Engineering makes their own sway bars (GT Series) based on the GT3 bars.

TechArt will not release their spring rates and from the comments here the progressive rate is really soft. The H&R are progressive too but have a higher spring rate and thus a harder ride.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:46 PM
windblow
Instructor

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I'm going to go with the Elephant Racing coilover conversion kit for a few reasons. 1) they use linear springs 2) offer different spring rates 3) retain the PASM shocks and 4) bought the DSC V3 to stiffen the shocks for track days.

Also, sway bars do not affect the ride, they control the roll when cornering so it reduces the weight transfer. Tarett Engineering makes their own sway bars (GT Series) based on the GT3 bars.

TechArt will not release their spring rates and from the comments here the progressive rate is really soft. The H&R are progressive too but have a higher spring rate and thus a harder ride.
Because they connect the left and right side wheels together, when you increase the stiffness of the sway bars, bumps experienced by one side will be transmitted to the other side, thus increasing the harshness of the ride as the bars fight against the side to side movement. Sway bars will improve handling by reducing body roll but will compromise ride quality on rough roads.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by windblow
but will compromise ride quality on rough roads.
I've never felt this to be the case on every car I have swapped the bars. The shocks and springs primarily dampen the road imperfections. There is no load transfer to the other side with an independant suspension until the car leans as thru a corner.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:32 PM
windblow
Instructor

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I've never felt this to be the case on every car I have swapped the bars. The shocks and springs primarily dampen the road imperfections. There is no load transfer to the other side with an independant suspension until the car leans as thru a corner.
This article explains how sway bars work.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with eibach because they are linear and from what I’ve heard about them will be the look I’m going fo and seem to be the stiffest offeringr. Will upgrade sway bars down the road. Hopeful for a decent alignment afterward.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:33 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TXGold
I went with eibach because they are linear and from what I’ve heard about them will be the look I’m going fo and seem to be the stiffest offeringr. Will upgrade sway bars down the road. Hopeful for a decent alignment afterward.
Would love to hear your feedback once installed. This is an inexpensive upgrade (was surprised how cheap) and would like to lower and stiffen things up some...just not bone jarring....
Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 AM
ROBBIEGG
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have any pics you can share?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:18 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

The 991.2 base comes with PASM standard. Maybe you are thinking of PASM-sport?

I put the Techart springs on my 991.2 base and so far, I'm pretty happy with them. The ride is pretty close to stock and I would say the handling is somewhat worse in slow turns but somewhat better in high speed cornering.

The car dropped exactly 1" in the front and 3/4" in the rear. I added 10mm spacers in front to help prevent the "tucked in" look, though 15mm may be better.

The process took about 4 hours and went pretty smoothly based on some of the previous posts from this forum:

I drove it around for 3 weeks and then had the alignment done at the dealer--it wasn't that far off, though. While I was waiting, this GT2 RS was being prepped:

Really need to watch out for driveways now, though speed bumps seem okay for the most part. Here's the look now (yes, I still have orange reflectors):
I have H&R Sportlines on my .1 and didn't drive the car without them (previous owner put them on) so have no comparison. How specifically did low speed handling get worse?
Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 AM
DvD5
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Techart springs in gentle turns

Originally Posted by K-A
I have H&R Sportlines on my .1 and didn't drive the car without them (previous owner put them on) so have no comparison. How specifically did low speed handling get worse?
I would say there is a bit more body roll in low speed cornering. Probably due to a lower spring rate in the first part of the spring travel. After driving on them a few months, I wouldn't say they are objectionable, but something you need to get used to.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

I would say there is a bit more body roll in low speed cornering. Probably due to a lower spring rate in the first part of the spring travel. After driving on them a few months, I wouldn't say they are objectionable, but something you need to get used to.
Interesting. I always figured that lower springs would be stiffer all around, but I’ve heard people say the same as you. Now I’m wondering how my car compare to another equal model on stock PASM. Now it’s starting to make sense how I don’t feel my car is as stiff as I’d think it should be at lower speeds. But once pushed it tightens up real good.

Quick Reply: 991.2 springs?