Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Porsche Connect and Car Connect Plus 2018+ (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1124657-porsche-connect-and-car-connect-plus-2018-a.html)

Cyberbug 01-18-2019 01:03 AM

Porsche Connect and Car Connect Plus 2018+

I am going to keep this short and simple.

Plenty of info on the forum about it. Many of us have been confused about it. This is to simplify for those who just want to get this setup quickly.
I have not picked up my car yet but I set them up already. All you need is a VIN number, you don’t need sim id etc. for 2018+ cars.

For Car Connect:
You can sign up for the service here: https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/login.do

Just follow instructions, you will get a code. Send it to your dealer or take it with you, they will use the code to activate it. After which you can add services etc. pretty simple. Dealer needs to put the code in the car. So do it at pickup or visit later.

For Car Connect Plus:
You can sign up for the service here: https://myvehicle.att.com/#/porsche/learn-page?country=US&language=en

Just follow instructions, use your VIN number, you get 3 month free. You can choose a plan as you wish. I already added it to my att shared account.

that is it. No need to get confused about setup or call att or porsche.

this was a public service post to make it easy for fellow members.

good2go 01-18-2019 11:09 AM

I looked at car connect and did not see any value and did not set it up. What do you like about car connect?

plus - does it only add WiFi hot spot? What uses the data connect? You phone already has the same data connection so it does not make sense to connect your phone to the WiFi. What uses the data connection?

911boy 01-18-2019 11:20 AM

^agreed. I don't get it....

Cyberbug 01-18-2019 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by good2go (Post 15575265)
I looked at car connect and did not see any value and did not set it up. What do you like about car connect?

plus - does it only add WiFi hot spot? What uses the data connect? You phone already has the same data connection so it does not make sense to connect your phone to the WiFi. What uses the data connection?

car connect is free for a year, you can view and control certain functions via an app. Since its free no harm in trying. For additional cost you can add vehicle tracking and some other functions. You also get climate control. If interested you can look up what you get.
in my MBs, I got 5 years free. The functions I use most is vehicle tracking, in case I want to know where my wife is shopping. Or remote start. Unfortunately remote start is not available in 991.2

connect plus, you get live traffic and google maps plus hot spots. I only care about live traffic and google maps only.

Originally Posted by 911boy (Post 15575289)
^agreed. I don't get it....

don’t have to :thumbsup:

this was meant to help those who are interested in getting it. Not to start another thread on pros and cons, plenty already on the forum

T3X4S 01-18-2019 12:03 PM

Thanks, Cyberbug for the simple clarification and links. I am still debating if I want either of them or just stick with CarPlay only.

tgavem 01-18-2019 12:12 PM

I also think your phone and service need to have "hotspot" enabled as well, anybody verify this?
ATT charges extra to be hotspot enabled.

Stanley Park 01-18-2019 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by good2go (Post 15575265)

Out of curiosity, I activated Porsche Connect on my ’17 C4S last week. Using the car’s wireless connection I was able to download and install an update to the PCM’s North America navigation database (640 MB). This was a pleasant and unexpected benefit as I had previously asked my dealer if any updates were available for the PCM in my car and was always told that there were none.

Scorponok 01-18-2019 04:34 PM

Thanks Cyberbug. You will find that about 30 seconds after setting everything up, you'll stop using it .... it's useless, provides no value and is a waste of time and money, especially when you leverage Apple CarPlay.

Mark993TT 01-18-2019 04:50 PM

Pretty sure you need some form of car connect subscription if you have to use vehicle tracking. Which my insurance company demands.

gellie 01-18-2019 04:59 PM

Agree completely waste of time. Seems like a afterthought.

tstafford 01-18-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by T3X4S (Post 15575396)
Thanks, Cyberbug for the simple clarification and links. I am still debating if I want either of them or just stick with CarPlay only.

I set it up in my C2S that I bought last January. Just traded that on a GT3 and I didn't bother to set it up this time. After a year of not using it, I figured why bother.

craig.martell 01-18-2019 07:18 PM

There are two things about the Connect / Car Connect bundle that are valuable to me, but I am still not sure they are worth the cost:

1. The ability to click on a calendar event and have it pass the address to navigation. I know I can do this on my phone, but in car navigation works even when there is no cell service (unlike Carplay);
2. Automatic crash notification if the airbags go off. This one is probably invaluable, since this is my daily driver and my kids often ride with me.

Craig

Chris - 97C2 01-18-2019 07:57 PM

Thanks, Cyberbug! Was planning on looking into all of it this weekend, so this was a great start. Wish I knew about the dealer part because I was there today. Oh well -- road trip! :)

anythingbuttime 01-18-2019 08:00 PM

I think it is bizarre that I can lock the car form my phone...but I can't unlock it. I see more need to unlock. Am I missing something?

StormRune 01-18-2019 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by tgavem (Post 15575427)
I also think your phone and service need to have "hotspot" enabled as well, anybody verify this?
ATT charges extra to be hotspot enabled.

That is built into the special AT&T/Porsche plan that uses the phone number assigned to your car (although it is a data-only number). It does not require anything special on your personal phone.