Sponsored by:

Warranty related what ifs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 AM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Warranty related what ifs...

I know I may get roasted for posting, but I was thinking about this and wanted to see if anyone else had.

I am going to do a few things to my car (exhaust, tune, etc). There are risks associated with this and Im fine with that, BUT...

In the event of something failing and the car going to the dealer for them to find that it was tuned which results in them suggesting the tune caused it, what happens? Do they deny the warranty claim for the faulty part? is the "warranty voided"? And if thats the case, they cant very well proactively void the warranty on the entire car, so what do they do?

I am a risk mitigation expert and as a result, I like to to identify exposure.

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

991.1 or 991.2?

I think more inherent risk with the .2...................that's why I ask............and will probably effect some of the responses.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:38 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

I agree with the above. But to answer your question, if they do decide that an engine problem was caused by a tune they find, they will deny warranty work and probably blacklist your car in the systems. I’ve seen that happens on many other forums, with cars that are modified. It is tempting to tune a 991.2, and I would probably do the same, but not for a 991.1. Exhaust work would be the only thing I would look to do. But that’s just me. I bought this car to have it as is. I have another car to fill my need for speed.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 AM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
991.1 or 991.2?

I think more inherent risk with the .2...................that's why I ask............and will probably effect some of the responses.
991.2 and i'd probably agree with that.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 727 Likes on 336 Posts

Doing a tune, unlocking the ECU etc, imo you're playing with fire. Everything is insanely expensive with these cars. Porsche charges up the wazoo for every single part. They'll only honor warranty if they absolutely have to. I'd save that tuning stuff for a Honda .
Old 01-16-2019, 02:55 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy M
Doing a tune, unlocking the ECU etc, imo you're playing with fire. Everything is insanely expensive with these cars. Porsche charges up the wazoo for every single part. They'll only honor warranty if they absolutely have to. I'd save that tuning stuff for a Honda .
Fair advice. Noted.

But thats the same response Ive seen prior. Honor warranty on what? how far can they take the "warranty is void"? is the entire warranty voided? bumper to bumper? If I tune the car, it has nothing to do with the driver seat not working, etc...
Old 01-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 727 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
Fair advice. Noted.

But thats the same response Ive seen prior. Honor warranty on what? how far can they take the "warranty is void"? is the entire warranty voided? bumper to bumper? If I tune the car, it has nothing to do with the driver seat not working, etc...
You're correct. Everyone always mentions the magnusson-moss warranty act. However, a manufacturer can just blacklist your car if you give them reason to, then it's up to you to force them to take care of something through the legal system. They have really deep pockets. Nor worth it it imo. If I want a car with more performance I'll just go buy one.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 PM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Gentlemen,
Be careful. I played around with this on a C7 Z06 Vette. Car got blacklisted and repairs were on me. Yes you can cite the Moss act but it will not be quick. It will most likely require an attorney which will require more funds. My dealership clearly proved my tune had nothing to do with the failure. GM told us to pound salt and sue. The dealership was class and fixed the car to sell and that’s how I ended up in a pcar and as a pcar nut. The whole nightmare was not worth any thrill increase I got. JMHO
Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Or just take your chances and the odds are in your favor. Lots of people tune cars and very few have warranty problems, and the ones that do over do it regards to mods so keep it simple and you should be fine.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:09 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 546 Posts

You could always find a Porsche dealer that performs aftermarket modification and see what can be done. They will likely be conservative and steer you in the right direction.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:48 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

I was going to also suggestion something similar to the above. Next time you are at your dealer, talk to the service manager about your future plans and how they feel about it. Doesn’t hurt to ask.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:00 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

The fine print of the sale documents and the warranty coverage contains specific language regarding modifications.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:24 AM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

At the end of the day you need to do what makes you happy. Only you know how important the mods are to you and therefore you can assess the risk. I will say that the poster above is correct when mentioning the risk is minimal because it is. My situations was I had a car and manufacturer that had a weakness and they were using any excuse they could to get out of warranty work. Do research on your car and do what makes you happy
Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 AM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by YTownSpyder
Gentlemen,
Be careful. I played around with this on a C7 Z06 Vette. Car got blacklisted and repairs were on me. Yes you can cite the Moss act but it will not be quick. It will most likely require an attorney which will require more funds. My dealership clearly proved my tune had nothing to do with the failure. GM told us to pound salt and sue. The dealership was class and fixed the car to sell and that’s how I ended up in a pcar and as a pcar nut. The whole nightmare was not worth any thrill increase I got. JMHO
Please provide more details on the mods and the failure. Did GM revoke the bumper to bumper warranty or just the drive train warranty?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Good idea to check with the dealer you plan to use, and talk to the Service Manager, not an Advisor. Some dealers are "mod-friendly" and they will tell you what they permit and what they do not.

Quick Reply: Warranty related what ifs...