Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   911T and Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1123489-911t-and-spyder.html)

Spyerx 04-17-2019 09:33 PM

No. Having both a 997rs and a 981 spyder. The rs will destroy the spyder. In most depts. spyder is very good. 997 gt cars are some of the very best cars Porsche has made, EVER. 911T vs a spyder? Spyder.

DK7 04-18-2019 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zeus993 (Post 15781381)
Destroys a Gen-1 Spyder? Nah. You just need to know how to eke out the goodness of the lesser HP, more balance Spyder. The Spyder, IMO, and I've driven both back to back, is about a good 80% of the RS. Yes the RS has a "wild" side to it that goads you on to "take it to the limit" and could seriously bite you in the leg in the process but the 997.2 Spyder, on the right road and temperature... sublime driving. And... at 30% the cost. And if you know the road, and get on the power early on, you can keep up with the RS. Just sayin... :corn:

i dont know the mythos a boxster is better balanced than 911 for performance driving, it isnt.

987 Spyder can keep up with a 997RS, really funny.
Both driver same skill the 997RS is three leagues over 987 Spyder. 987 nice cruiser, 997 RS beast! Complete different world in driving imho.

GT3 Nut 04-18-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by DK7 (Post 15782794)
i dont know the mythos a boxster is better balanced than 911 for performance driving, it isnt.

987 Spyder can keep up with a 997RS, really funny.
Both driver same skill the 997RS is three leagues over 987 Spyder. 987 nice cruiser, 997 RS beast! Complete different world in driving imho.

I have owned both and driven both extensively.
They both excel at performance driving - just different driving technique.
I prefer the 987 Spyder over the 997.1 RS for STREET driving and just all around use.
The Spyder will absolutely keep up with the 997.1 RS ON THE STREET for curvy mountain roads - tires and drivers being equal.
On the track, of course the 997.1 RS will be faster as long as its a track with longer straights (such as VIR) - again tires and drivers being equal.

BUT who cares really? They are both fantastic Porsches and will go down as 2 of the greatest street cars of all time.
The 911T? It obviously is polarizing.....I like it a lot but when pure emotion is involved in the driving experience it isn't on par with the Spyder or 997.1 RS.
However, I would bet that the 911 T is as fast as the 997.1 RS on track - equal drivers and tires.... (but lets face it...the cars are 10 years apart in technology and development so the 997.1 RS is amazing in its own right...)
(oh boy I bet I will start a flame session with that one....)

Bottom line...we all have our own opinion and are entitled to it.
We are talking about cars that are all fun and enjoyable to drive.

seis-speed 04-18-2019 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zeus993 (Post 15557983)
Not quite in the Carrera T pool yet but I relate to your description of the GT4 being almost too good, almost too easy to drive. I'm finding somewhat the same experience with my Gen-1 (987.2) Spyder. It's an incredible car, often described with superlatives like "magical" and "greater than the sum of all it's parts" etc... but so good at what it does that is slightly boring to rip it up in the mountains. Some month back now I test drove a 991.2 GTS 4 and really loved it. This got me looking at the T with a build similar to what you've mentioned - LWBS, MT, RAS, PCCBs. So I'm looking forward to hearing the responses that come in. Good luck on your hunt!

Interesting...

That is what I love about my 1M BMW. It is not too good, in fact the lack of sophistication in the chasis (does not always connect in the rear diff, feels a little erratic/snappy & has a lot of body roll) is what makes it so much fun to drive. The flaws or lack of capability, make the experience a little more thrilling, at least for me.

The T is fun to me, because it is rear-engine and I can feel that dynamic (which is great fun).
It is wildly capable on corners and not as much of a handful, but the rear engine swing has me hooked!

I will be curious to hear what you think of the T once you get some seat time. :thumbup:

Zeus993 04-18-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by siete-speed (Post 15783292)
Interesting...

That is what I love about my 1M BMW. It is not too good, in fact the lack of sophistication in the chasis (does not always connect in the rear diff, feels a little erratic/snappy & has a lot of body roll) is what makes it so much fun to drive. The flaws or lack of capability, make the experience a little more thrilling, at least for me.

The T is fun to me, because it is rear-engine and I can feel that dynamic (which is great fun).
It is wildly capable on corners and not as much of a handful, but the rear engine swing has me hooked!

I will be curious to hear what you think of the T once you get some seat time. :thumbup:

Yes - I actually know what you mean about having a car slightly unbalanced. Certainly not a great idea on a track at high speeds but for a good rip, lots of fun.

I am looking forward to the T and it's rear-weight balance. It should be a blast! Especially after years now with Spyders and a Cayman. I did enjoy the 993 C2S as well.

And so I wait...

whilechukwuzout 01-11-2021 11:12 PM

Deleted