Sponsored by:

Winter road trip with a new T

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Nathing32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Winter road trip with a new T

A friend of mine helped me find a T allocation last fall and I’ll be joining the GT Silver club sometime in February. I’m at the point where I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it!

I’m going to break it in on a drive from Vegas to Portland (Oregon - not Maine). I’ll be on the summer tires so mountain passes are most likely off the list that time of year. I don’t really want to slog it up I-5 unless that’s the only option due to weather - and even then there’s always snow and ice possible near Mt. Shasta and over the pass into Ashland. Anyone ever drive up through Nevada into Eastern Oregon on 95 or up to Boise on 93? If so, would you recommend? I’m looking for fun and unique. I realize there could be snow and ice on pretty much any of those routes so I could end up heading to the coast and taking the long (but beautiful) way home. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathing32
A friend of mine helped me find a T allocation last fall and I’ll be joining the GT Silver club sometime in February. I’m at the point where I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it!

I’m going to break it in on a drive from Vegas to Portland (Oregon - not Maine). I’ll be on the summer tires so mountain passes are most likely off the list that time of year. I don’t really want to slog it up I-5 unless that’s the only option due to weather - and even then there’s always snow and ice possible near Mt. Shasta and over the pass into Ashland. Anyone ever drive up through Nevada into Eastern Oregon on 95 or up to Boise on 93? If so, would you recommend? I’m looking for fun and unique. I realize there could be snow and ice on pretty much any of those routes so I could end up heading to the coast and taking the long (but beautiful) way home. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Well every year is different of course but if you could wait a few weeks? I remember driving a Winnebago from Sherwood to the Grand Canyon over spring break. We went through Oakridge and down the 97 to Reno then through the center of Nevada. Stayed in Pahrump overnight and remember how warm it was. You could do something like that in reverse, maybe throw in a mountain pass detour here and there? There also a fantastic route from K Falls to Winnemuca. I'd look into that one coming back for sure, just don't know about elevation, snow etc during the time of year you're going.

Congrats on the T. Just changed the oil in mine tonight. Probably the best 911 I've had.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Nathing32
Intermediate

Thanks man and always good to hear how much you like your T! I didn’t think about the K-falls route. That’s a good option as well.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Merely one suggestion below. There's so many roads out in Nevada and Eastern Oregon. Nobody out there. I also do some ADV riding so I can really get into plotting routes upon occasion.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:54 PM
Nathing32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randy M

Looks like a good antelope dodging route! And not to much elevation. I’ll have my son with me too (he’s 9). He can’t wait for the trip. Probably more excited about this than I am. He checks the ship’s progress for me online each day.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:26 AM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

We are going to hold a GT-Silver-T only Cars and Coffee when you get here.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:22 AM
olsonreels
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've driven that highlighted route several times over the years during the winter and early spring months. In a 4X4 1 ton diesel with 4 high engaged for most of it some years. If you encounter any winter weather it is a death wish on summer performance rubber.

Would be a blast during the warm months. Not a chance I'd even consider it in any car without winter tires and chains as backup when needed in Feb. Both of which may be required by law to get over Warner Pass.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:26 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 67 Posts

I just did Seattle > SF Bay Area after picking up my 991S, mostly along the coast. Definitely a memorable experience. It's about the journey, not the destination. So take the scenic route not highway 5.

(you can read about my trip here if you want)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:26 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 67 Posts

Oh and be sure to post your story during or after the trip!
Old 01-09-2019, 03:48 AM
Nathing32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vincenz0
Oh and be sure to post your story during or after the trip!
Will do. I'm new to this forum and from what I've seen this group is pretty great at swapping stories.

Originally Posted by vincenz0
I just did Seattle > SF Bay Area after picking up my 991S, mostly along the coast. Definitely a memorable experience. It's about the journey, not the destination. So take the scenic route not highway 5.

(you can read about my trip here if you want)
Nice - I'll check it out. I'm in no rush as well. This will be all about getting to know the car and spending quality time with my kid. No need to try to find a fast route into the mountains and hit crappy weather.

Originally Posted by olsonreels
I've driven that highlighted route several times over the years during the winter and early spring months. In a 4X4 1 ton diesel with 4 high engaged for most of it some years. If you encounter any winter weather it is a death wish on summer performance rubber.

Would be a blast during the warm months. Not a chance I'd even consider it in any car without winter tires and chains as backup when needed in Feb. Both of which may be required by law to get over Warner Pass.
Yeah - I'm thinking that would be a great drive June-October. Thanks for the advice! I used to live in the Bay Area and I would head up to the Oregon/California border area for steelhead fishing in the winter. One time I got this hair-brained idea that it would be fun to drive over to Crater Lake from the Smith River in the middle of February. I had an older Pathfinder back then and I needed to be in 4 high just to make it to the locked gate at the southern entrance to the park. That's still the most snow pack I've ever seen anywhere in my life.

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
We are going to hold a GT-Silver-T only Cars and Coffee when you get here.
Awesome! I take it there are 3 or 4 now in the area or am I missing a few?

Old 03-28-2019, 01:52 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

How was the trip?
Old 03-29-2019, 02:04 AM
Nathing32
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
How was the trip?
The trip was great. We still talk about it and wish it were longer actually. I wrote up a post about it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1060...l#post15688545

post #2043
Old 03-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathing32
The trip was great. We still talk about it and wish it were longer actually. I wrote up a post about it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1060...l#post15688545

post #2043
Oh wow, that's awesome! I didn't connect the two. The owners club thread seems to have died down, sadly. That's an epic thread and a perfect place to post your photos and trip recap. Great memories with your son! I'm jelly!

Quick Reply: Winter road trip with a new T