Sponsored by:

GTS vs GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:46 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default GTS vs GT3

Lately I have fallen in love with the GT3 Touring. I really can't afford it , but as a current very happy GTS owner I was just wondering if current or past owners (or if you driven one) can give me your opinions on the car , if using it as a daily driver. Really no tracking just daily driving and nice road trips. I see a number of regular GT3s for sale with such low mileage. Makes me think the owners bought them and realized its to much car or more of a track car then they realized and maybe to loud. Anyways please be kind enough to share your 2 cents. I am really interested. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:50 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

the low mileage ones you see for sale are more than likely speculators who bought them to make a quick buck. Very few dealers sell them at MSRP. I was fortunate enough to have a dealer that sold me one at sticker. Its a winged manual, but I only have 300 miles on it so far. I can feel every bump, crack, seem in the road, but I think it could be, for me at least, a fine daily driver. The only reason I won't daily drive it, although I still may, is that I drive to work at the airport on average 1 time per week and park the car for 3-5 days at a shot. Even though I pay for covered parking, I'm not sure I want to leave it out that long.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:32 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

It’s not too loud. At least if you keep it under 3800rpm or so. It is too low, but FAL makes it tolerable and there is some adjustment in the suspension to bring it up a bit. It is downright quiet and cushy compared to my previous Elise and Exige S. Totally able to daily if you avoid cold rain and snow on cup2 tires. Lots of GT3 are on the market because people buy the latest and greatest so they are getting GT3RS or GT2RS. Go drive one and see what you think. That is really the only way to tell if it is worth it to you.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's totally liveable as a daily driver. It's not very loud stock (too quiet for me), and I don't think it's very stiff either. At least not for the roads around me. I love my 991.2 GT3, and it seems to scrape a lot less than my 991.1 GT3 did. I'd still say the FAL is a must have option.

I also have a 991.2 GTS that I love, and it would be hard to pick between them if I really had to. I love the looks of the GT3, but the GTS is such an amazing package, and I think if it came down to it I'd keep the GTS. It feels as capable as the GT3 for the driving I do, and the massive torque is hard not to love. Then again the GT3 has that certain something that the GTS will never have, so it's hard. That's why I have both, lol.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:43 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 2017 GTS and my best friend has a 2018 GT3 Touring. I love the front bumper and splitter on the GT3 but wouldn’t trade it for the backseat in my GTS. The NA vs. turbo debate is perpetual and more emotion than anything else because on the track these cars are neck and neck (the power curve between turbo and NA gives each car an advantage where the other does not). I’d really like to have the dry sump in the GT3. I’d be fine with either car, they are that close. I’d pay the markup on the GT3, along with the dealer premium.

He sold his GT4 when he ordered the Touring Edition and still bemoans the fact that the GT4 was more fun on the track.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:02 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Lately I have fallen in love with the GT3 Touring. I really can't afford it , but as a current very happy GTS owner I was just wondering if current or past owners (or if you driven one) can give me your opinions on the car , if using it as a daily driver. Really no tracking just daily driving and nice road trips. I see a number of regular GT3s for sale with such low mileage. Makes me think the owners bought them and realized its to much car or more of a track car then they realized and maybe to loud. Anyways please be kind enough to share your 2 cents. I am really interested. Thanks!
GT3 touring is just a GT3 with the aero removed. I didn’t like driving my GT3 on the road at all. That’s why I pursued a Carrera T. In fact, I suspect it’s why a bunch of GT3 owners are now buying Ts. They are just better cars for road driving. I don’t see how you could make the GT3 more road friendly just by deleting the wing. If we’re being honest, it’s really just an aesthetic package. There are some guys who even say they daily drive their GT3s. More power to them but that sounds miserable to me.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:35 AM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's fair to say that most GT3 owners have more than just one car. So when you're choosing between car a,b,c you spread out 12k cumulative miles over 3 cars and therefore put less miles on each individual car. I now have a GT3 and drive it regularly but don't be fooled, it will be no way as comfortable as a non-GT 911. I've heard folks comment on the forum that SPASM has been uncomfortable for them; if you're in this camp I would look elsewhere. For me though, I drive mine most "good days" and throw a couple track days throughout the year and there's nothing better for the money.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:31 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm driving what i call a "narrow body 991.2 GTS" its a loaded C2S Endurance Racing Edition w/ X51 PowerKit, and love it. I changed out the cats for a great sound improvement and quicker Turbo spool up. Now, the exhaust sound is second to none among modern Street Porsches.
To be frank, id much rather be driving a GT3. I love that screaming redline, close ratio gears, rear wing and aero front, no back seat, lighter weight, bigger brakes, wider tires & wheels, and all around better looks.
But - the GT3's harsh ride and lack of lux options i have on mine - like PDCC with PASM Sport Suspension (tames ride harshness when wanted while still cornering flat, sunroof, ventilated seats, Keyless Entry, parking sensors etc - are all issues for me. Otherwise, I'd rather be driving a GT3.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:45 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

I think its very dependant on where you live, the quality of the roads and the general weather conditions encountered in the area where you most commonly drive. Good weather, great smooth roads and light traffic - GT3, isn't a bad option. However, if you had to have one vehicle that did almost everything well and can handle most conditions - then its hard to go past a nicely specced GTS.

Alternatively, if you have the option of another nice daily then, the GT3 makes a great weekender. Your local environment and access to tracks and such the like will have a strong influence on how you feel about the vehicle. Another point, long drives can get very boring, very quickly on ordinary roads in a loudish, relatively firm car.

Also, consider historics - from the point of view of driver engagement 996 GT3 > 997 GT3 > 991 GT3 from the pov of performance 991GT3 > 997 GT3 > 996 GT3. By the sounds of it your not into putting down nationally registered laptimes. Thus you may be able to square the circle with an older model and still retain the GTS. Now that is a win - win
Old 01-08-2019, 07:04 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
. I love that screaming redline, close ratio gears, rear wing and aero front, no back seat, lighter weight, bigger brakes, wider tires & wheels, and all around better looks.
But - the GT3's harsh ride and lack of lux options i have on mine - like PDCC with PASM Sport Suspension (tames ride harshness when wanted while still cornering flat, sunroof, ventilated seats, Keyless Entry, parking sensors etc - are all issues for me. Otherwise, I'd rather be driving a GT3.
GT3 has the same size tires 245 and 305 as a GTS and the wheels are the same as GTS 991.2 centerlocks too. 9in and 12in

The ride in normal suspension is not bad either. I would not call it harsh. Firm maybe, but not harsh.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:01 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Friends who have had and sold recent GT3s always explained that they "could have" daily driven them, but didn't because it wasn't that much fun to live with.

Hard to beat for Cars N Coffee and weekend blasts, but DD? Not so much.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:47 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Friends who have had and sold recent GT3s always explained that they "could have" daily driven them, but didn't because it wasn't that much fun to live with.

Hard to beat for Cars N Coffee and weekend blasts, but DD? Not so much.
If you can DD a GTS you can DD a GT3. It's really not that much harder to live with. Suspensions have come a long way, and even my 991.1 GT3 was a lot more comfortable and plush than my 997.1TT. I drove the 997.1TT two hours to pick up the GT3, and drove the GT3 two hours back. The GT3 felt more comfortable in every way. The 991.2 is even more comfortable and has even more refined suspension. Sometimes I even find myself wishing it was a little more stiff, and I drive with the suspension in sport mode most of the time.

It also has most of the creature comforts you need. Bluetooth, a good stereo, great nav, etc.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:49 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Before buying my 991.2 gts I test drove a gt3. I was so underwhelmed, the car has no torque. It does sound better and handle marginally better but that's about it. Just my honest $.02
Old 01-08-2019, 08:59 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Before buying my 991.2 gts I test drove a gt3. I was so underwhelmed, the car has no torque. It does sound better and handle marginally better but that's about it. Just my honest $.02
​​​​​​
Did you test drive a 991.2 or a 991.1? The 991.1 felt a little gutless and it was one of the reasons I sold it. My 991.2 feels much better, and it doesn't feel slow even compared to my stage 2 GTS. It obviously doesn't feel as torquey, but it doesn't feel as deficient as the 991.1 did.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
​​​​​​
Did you test drive a 991.2 or a 991.1? The 991.1 felt a little gutless and it was one of the reasons I sold it. My 991.2 feels much better, and it doesn't feel slow even compared to my stage 2 GTS. It obviously doesn't feel as torquey, but it doesn't feel as deficient as the 991.1 did.
It was a 991.1 I do need to test drive a 991.2 gt3

Quick Reply: GTS vs GT3