Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't more folks do the x51 package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019 | 07:05 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

...or just move to Texas and do whatever you want.
Old 01-08-2019 | 07:15 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

I love those Sport Technos!
Old 01-09-2019 | 11:54 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Isn't that kind of an oxymoron regarding the 991.1 market? I have the feeling that a pre-owned car equipped with the X51 power kit does not command such a high premium as a GTS even if similarly equipped. Correct me if I am wrong.

I personally feel that a narrow bodied car with the power kit, and has same mechanical options as the GTS, is actually more special.
Agree. No 991 is narrow, but that's what i call them too - narrow body GTS. Actually, the narrow body X51 S is a tick faster than the GTS, because the coefficient of drag is a notch lower.

The factory built 991.1 X51 S are bargains compared to the GTS. But to add the X51 PowerKit to a 991.1 now would make no $ense.
Old 01-09-2019 | 12:14 PM
Ryun43
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
For anyone considering an X51, here’s a plug-and-play option for you. Fewer than 16k miles. Available for way less than a highly spec’ed GTS, assuming you could find one even close. PM for details.

that is a great spec
good looking car!
Old 01-09-2019 | 12:34 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Just thinking about the cost to gain for things done for a 991.1 to get more power/sound/performance.

Exhaust - goes from 2k - 6K depending on manufacture
Headers/Cat - 2-3K depending on manufacture
Tune - 2K or so
Intake filter - 200-300

How much added HP are you really able to get from Aftermarket bolt on's for 991.1 compared to 430HP and getting close to GTS power via Porsche factory parts.

After all of this what true gains are you getting and would these changes be legal for road/smog in your state ( For me it's harder since I'm in Cali ). X51 from Porsche is OEM and warrantied plus nets 430HP that also allows me to be road / smog legal in Cali? Compared to getting a mix of various go fast goodies to bolt on from different manufacturer's and potentially not be road legal compliant depending on your state? I already have PSE on my 2014 991.1 so no point spending on aftermarket exhaust IMHO.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991X51.html
  • modified cylinder heads and camshafts
  • newly developed variable resonance intake system featuring 6 plus 1 switchable valve
  • center radiator
  • Optional Sports Exhaust System with specially designed dual twin-tube tailpipes
  • a revised engine control unit including new engine compartment styling with a titanium colored cover and carbon inserts
So bring me back to my thoughts on why don't more people go with X51 upgrades? I know the total cost would be more than the advertised price due to Dealer labor and reprogramming, but it means your still going OEM.

And if your 991.2 it's slightly cheaper and gets you 450HP
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/992X51.html

Thoughts?
I have (in approximate values):
Exhaust: 6,000 (no power gained)
Headers: 4,000
Plenum: 1,000
BMC filters: 300
Center radiator: 1,000
Tune: 1,500

Total: ~$14,000 in parts and mostly my own labor.

If anyone says it's not worth it; they are right. If someone says it is worth it, it is also correct. These cars are not investments and I modified mine to enjoy and not resell. To me it is absolutely worth it.

Power: My car has the full package in terms of bolt power modifications. Dyno says ~40bhp increase. Same dyne on different days so there is certainly a reasonable % of variation. Yes, this was a lot of money for 40bhp. Would I do it again? No question.

Driving vs X51/3.8: My car with these mods sounds WAAAAAY better than a stock 911 with X51 (and better than a Gt3 for that matter). Yes you can add an exhaust to the X51 car. Comparing theoretically modified cars is ridiculous so I'm only comparing mine as I've experienced it to stock GTS cars that I'd played with; one did have an exhaust. Spec wise; on paper, the power is pretty evenly matched with not enough difference to matter. Under triple digits, my car is faster - no question. Why? The mid range and the combination evens out the dip when the car comes on cam. This makes a substantial impact. The X51 gets some more air moving through the engine at higher speeds. At a half mile event the GTS was ~5mph faster and had more to go if there was space. Neither were impressive that day and stock GTR's were killing us. The GTS also revs a little faster, subtle but it's there. Also, flame if you like, I know a half mile run isn't what these cars are made for but it sure was fun. Don't know if I'll go again but I had a blast. For mountain driving, mine pulls out of corner with noticeably more urgency.

Warranty: I went with the best quality I could find and everything works flawlessly from reputable manufacturers. With these mods, If I had a warranty claim when I had a warranty, Porsche would have LOL'd. The X51 keeps the warranty but on a 991.1 that matters less and less at this point given the age. I can't help myself from modding. Your tolerance may be different.

Overall: Like I said, everything on my car is subtle and OEM quality or better from proven, reputable vendors with proven results. None of the cold air intake snake oil and don't believe any manufacturer that states hp from a cutback propaganda, etc. For ME, it's the ultimate 911 experience. I appreciate when I get compliments but don't care when the air-cooled guys and the purists cry sacrilege. I'm not planing on ever selling and if I'm forced to then I don't plan on making money or getting any ROI on my mods. Between the suspension, sound, power and minor aesthetics(that no lay person can even notice) I can feel the difference and so can everyone else that has stepped out of their car and into mine.

Just my .02 on my particular path. It's not right or wrong but it makes me happy. Thought this perspective might be interesting to some given the context of this thread.
Old 01-09-2019 | 12:40 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Oh, forgot.... I don't think mine would pass smog in CA with the sport/200ct cats in the headers. For my state and the other 48 it would be fine.
Old 01-09-2019 | 01:23 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback garfunkle... I appreciate it. Living in KALIFORNIA makes decisions harder on performance and what can you really get away with in regards to smog / regulations and over reaching laws by this state. That's what I was stuck in a conundrum in regards to which way I go with

get the x51 https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991X51.html , warrantied and legal in this state, but price doesn't include install yet ( would that overall price go over the bolt on over all price)

OR

go with the bolt on's spend roughly 13-14K then have to walk on eggshells in this state due to issues above as with a 991.1, you need to change the cat's to unlock some power.
Old 01-09-2019 | 01:37 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Thanks for the feedback garfunkle... I appreciate it. Living in KALIFORNIA makes decisions harder on performance and what can you really get away with in regards to smog / regulations and over reaching laws by this state. That's what I was stuck in a conundrum in regards to which way I go with

get the x51 https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991X51.html , warrantied and legal in this state, but price doesn't include install yet ( would that overall price go over the bolt on over all price)

OR

go with the bolt on's spend roughly 13-14K then have to walk on eggshells in this state due to issues above as with a 991.1, you need to change the cat's to unlock some power.
I don't want to speak to the cats since I don't know. If they plug into the ECU to test you're fine. If it is a sniffer, then I just don't know.

Talking pure performance alone - eliminate the exhaust and the price is definitely way under. My tune and headers are FVD. If you buy together you save a lot. A tune + plenum + filters is the way to go if you want to avoid CA red tape and IMO would be be worth it and make a noticeable difference in the driving experience with regards to performance. That's ~&3500 installed.
Old 01-09-2019 | 01:42 PM
garfunkle
Banned

OR

One last thing - install price on the X51 is going to vary a lot from dealer to dealer. I would recommend having a dealer do this and not a shop. Should you have a warranty problem then PCNA may help with a dealer and if it's done by a shop then decide your trust and tolerance level as it relates to that shop. Also, I don't know the specifics but there is extra parts and labor needed for older cars. I know there is a mileage qualifier but I don't know for sure about time. If you talk to someone about this then make sure they've done it before...
Old 01-09-2019 | 09:55 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

In a nutshell......waaay too little gain for the investment. 20 HP is insignificant in my opinion.....but the cost is quite high for an unnoticeable gain. I think I got a larger HP gain when I changed out my front side markers.
Old 01-10-2019 | 06:39 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
For anyone considering an X51, here’s a plug-and-play option for you. Fewer than 16k miles. Available for way less than a highly spec’ed GTS, assuming you could find one even close. PM for details.

Love those 20" Sport Techno Wheels.
Old 01-10-2019 | 07:01 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
In a nutshell......waaay too little gain for the investment. 20 HP is insignificant in my opinion.....but the cost is quite high for an unnoticeable gain. I think I got a larger HP gain when I changed out my front side markers.

I know with my package there is a substantial different in the way the car makes power. Like I said earlier, much stronger mid range, no dip when it comes on cam and pulls harder up top. <<<That experience is may more meaningful than some arbitrary hp increase. Its's still a lot of money for it but definitely not an unnoticeable gain.
Old 01-10-2019 | 07:30 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Performance Curves per Sunsport for the X51 Kit.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991X51.html

You tell us...is that price before installation worth that level of performance gain? For my money, no. And if I needed the power, because like the 400 HP (spec'd) in the 911.1 4S doesn't get me into enough trouble as it is, I'd go find a Turbo to get 140 more HP and gobs ot torque. My quick scan shows you could do that for like 2-2.5x the cost of an installed X51 Kit over buying a CPO 4S right now.

I drove a 991.2 Turbo before I bought my 911.1 4S and wow, just wow performance.

Your money .. your move.

Quick Reply: Why don't more folks do the x51 package?