Sponsored by:

'19 991.2 GTS mods - Kline, Numeric, Rennline, DSC

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:11 AM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default '19 991.2 GTS mods - Kline, Numeric, Rennline, DSC

Having recently taken delivery in November, I quickly set out to improve upon the few key areas which would make this my ultimate DD. My improvement objectives – in order of priority – have been the following:

SOUND
1) Tone – angrier bark, edgier rasp, wail at WOT
2) Volume – as close to stock in Normal mode, 25%-40% louder with PSE engaged
3) ZERO drone

TACTILE FEEDBACK
1) Sharper, more precise shifter throws
2) Enhanced comfort & body control in Sport & Sport+

ENGINE
1) Responsiveness – reduction in lag
2) Upper range torque & HP

I’ll start by saying that I was sold on the Numeric and DSC sport controller upgrades from the beginning, so I’ll focus this thread on the exhaust. Having come from a 991.1 CS, I had little doubt that the .2 would be a significant upgrade in power, much more than I could ever reasonably deploy on the street. As a result, my search for an exhaust system was guided almost exclusively by aural improvement, an essential element of my overall experience and the one area where the .2 took a step backwards from the .1. I’d happilyy take any gains in torque & HP, but those would be all secondary to sound. The endless video clips and reviews online initially led me to shortlist the Akra high-flow cats & exhaust, paired with Vektor headers. That is, until I saw the inspired Kline video for the 991.2.

While the Kline system is well-documented for the 911 big “T” Turbo, there is a dearth of information, reviews or videos for Carrera applications – surprising, given Kline’s top-tier positioning and price point. Fortunately, I benefitted from first-hand owner impressions and wanted to thank @flsupraguy, @alevine, @pashaj , @stephen k , @Viperbob1 & @wassy for sharing their candid feedback. And a special shout-out to @SocalDave , who so generously shot several clips of his car at start-up, under load and during drive-by. This search reminded me of what a special community of enthusiasts we have here!

With the intent on going all-in with Kline coated headers, 200 cell cats and exhaust in Inconel, I made contact with @Felix_Kline and his US distributor, Sam Ahdoot @SamboTT@ByDesign. They patiently answered all my questions, and Sam offered a total satisfaction guarantee which gave me confidence to go forward. Both Felix and Sam would soon follow through on that guarantee.

SP Motorsports in Hayward, CA did the install. They specialize in Porsche race and track prep, and as an aside I’ve never seen a greater concentration of GT4s, GT3s, GT3 RSs and GT2s in one place! The coated headers went in first and as a standalone upgrade already resulted in a deeper base rumble and gains on the dyno. With the cats mounted with screws still loosened, however, there was a nearly 1cm gap in lining up the exhaust. The team simply could not get the cats and exhaust to line up, so they reinstalled the stock cats and exhaust so I could take the car home for the weekend. I sent pics and videos to Felix and Sam, and after a brief exchange the decision was made to fabricate and send me another set of Inconel cats and exhaust from Europe. To be clear, Felix and Sam advised to loosen up the headers in addition to the cats, believing that the exhaust would then prove to line up. But I didn’t want to burn additional labor hours only to possibly have to need new hardware anyway. I also had to balance travel, the upcoming holidays and SP Motorsports’ availability, so I really needed the second attempt to stick.

Second attempt with the new hardware went without a hitch, and my experience with the car is now transformed. Yes, my butt dyno senses improved engine responsiveness and upper end power gains – a future comparative dyno will indicate just how much. But the sound… is epic. More raw, raspier and much more audible in-cabin without crossing the line into excessive. It sounds better than my 911.1 CS with PSE, and is how the car should have sounded coming from the factory. I have no experience to compare the relative value of Inconel to stainless steel, but as of now I can proclaim that I’m fully satisfied with the Kline Inconel system, the service of SP Motorsports, and the support I received from both Felix and Sam. Would I do it again? Absolutely! Pictures and video below, although I regret that the revs with the system installed fail to capture the sound transformation.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:38 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,492 Likes on 799 Posts

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Really appreciate the info! There is a lack of info on Kline for the .2 other than a nice review from PTS-Berg, if I recall correctly. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on 200 cell cats and want to upgrade the headers but just cannot commit to the complete replacement you did. Any thoughts on sound and performance improvement with just cats and headers? I love my car but can feel a real lack of power at the top end and of course we all know sound is a weak spot.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:48 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

I have the full Kline set up in Stainless Steel, with coated headers, 200 cell cats and exhaust. I decided on SS instead of Inconel simply because it was less expensive. Performance wise they are identical and Inconel is certainly lighter. With my fat *** and my Targa, saving weight isn't a priority. Just got the car pro tuned off of the dyno today. Here is a video clip of the should of a full Kline set up wide open throttle.

https://youtu.be/BEirzpuok5c

I happen to think its the best sounding exhaust for the 991.2 platform and that's why I bought it..
Old 01-05-2019, 02:19 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Just got the car pro tuned off of the dyno today.
Congrats. When you say "Pro Tuned" was it via the COBB Access Port, or another brand?

Did you go over 500HP?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:11 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I will be posting a new thread on the topic possibly later today. Just doing one last set of data logs to confirm dyno tests and emailing to a Rennlist member to review independently before jumping into the forum fire..
Old 01-05-2019, 08:22 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

great setup - given the list of everything you did; did you consider FF1 TRANSMISSION bushings?
Old 01-05-2019, 12:44 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 972 Likes on 589 Posts

So glad you love it Eddie thank you for the review and kind words. The car is absolutely beautiful and it’s been a pleasure to be a part of it. Your post also shows how many gents are running our system just that you were able to contact. They may not all be postin but they are out there. Either way you trusted our pedigree and we appreciate it. Enjoy!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I will be posting a new thread on the topic possibly later today. Just doing one last set of data logs to confirm dyno tests and emailing to a Rennlist member to review independently before jumping into the forum fire..
I hope COBB didn't take the easy way out and just decrease boost? With the Stage 2 mods causing the throttle to close, I don't want to hear less is more. I want to see waste gate duty and Boost.

I am also wondering if the Stage 2 Power has been adjusted due to stage 1 not being able to be hit on a dyno? Meaning Stage 1 claimed 509 HP but the most people saw was 480Hp. So "if" the new claim is 520Hp, will people see that 520Hp or will it just be 11 more than they saw? I understand under the curve is more important, just disappointed, those with it, just went on holidays and posted nothing. How about some information?

Or you could just wait another week until its released, and we can see for ourselves.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:19 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I am waiting for another forum member to review my data logs and get back to me. I can tell you that the pro-tune increased power in the midrange by 50hp.
Throttle blade issue has been "solved" and is no longer an issue.
I am going to cut and paste the last email from another forum member who reviewed the data logs and you can accept it or not..

"Based on my calculations from your road pulls, you're putting down about 600whp (roughly dynojet numbers) at 7500rpm. Just pure physics, force = mass * acceleration. I was able to find values for coefficient of drag and frontal area, but those are only so accurate. I also had to estimate vehicle mass. The ambient was 50F when you did your pulls and the standard corrected value is like 75F. I estimated the GTS could do like 560whp on 93 octane after estimating the compressor flow capability of the turbos at standard corrected temp, so I don't think there's much left in the turbos. You're basically at the power limit without using higher octane fuel to run more boost. My 600whp calculated value does just about match the 714 crank hp estimate (714 * 85% = 607whp) based on the calculated torque value given by the ecu in your datalog. 700crank hp was also what I estimated the turbos could do. Everything points to the car making in the area of 700hp crank on the road where the ICs get proper airflow. Not too shabby with just bolt-ons and the stock engine rated at 450hp."
Old 01-06-2019, 01:58 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I am waiting for another forum member to review my data logs and get back to me. I can tell you that the pro-tune increased power in the midrange by 50hp.
Throttle blade issue has been "solved" and is no longer an issue.
I am going to cut and paste the last email from another forum member who reviewed the data logs and you can accept it or not..

"Based on my calculations from your road pulls, you're putting down about 600whp (roughly dynojet numbers) at 7500rpm. Just pure physics, force = mass * acceleration. I was able to find values for coefficient of drag and frontal area, but those are only so accurate. I also had to estimate vehicle mass. The ambient was 50F when you did your pulls and the standard corrected value is like 75F. I estimated the GTS could do like 560whp on 93 octane after estimating the compressor flow capability of the turbos at standard corrected temp, so I don't think there's much left in the turbos. You're basically at the power limit without using higher octane fuel to run more boost. My 600whp calculated value does just about match the 714 crank hp estimate (714 * 85% = 607whp) based on the calculated torque value given by the ecu in your datalog. 700crank hp was also what I estimated the turbos could do. Everything points to the car making in the area of 700hp crank on the road where the ICs get proper airflow. Not too shabby with just bolt-ons and the stock engine rated at 450hp."
50 Hp in the midrange is awesome. Thanks. Did you see the logs and see what the Wastegate duty cycle was? It will be a percentage like 80% etc. We are only out of turbo when that number is in the high 90's.

Mine is currently 55%. So plenty of turbo left LOL. The turbo is not the limiting factor in stage 1.

If I take 700 hp at crank in American numbers, and try and convert that for the rest of the world. That is Bang on 520 RWHP. Not trying to upset anyone. American dyno's typically read 15% higher than ours. So that is 595 HP at the crank on our dyno. (450 Stock so that is a 145 Hp gain at the crank, in our language. That's huge) Then allow 12.5 % drivetrain loss is bang on 520 HP at the rear wheels. Its Good. What I would love to see is someone who dynoed stage 1 at 480 HP , post a stage 2 chart showing 520 HP. Would be cool to see. But my car definiately has 500 rwhp with all the mods stage 1 and some E85. So I would expect 520 without the E85. More with it.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:52 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Wait, PTS you're running a Cobb Protune and not the Stage 2?

Old 01-06-2019, 02:58 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Mine is currently 55%. So plenty of turbo left LOL. The turbo is not the limiting factor in stage 1.
Just need more fuel octane me thinks to run a few psi more boost to max out the turbos I would also add that due to the tough cooling situation of getting air to the ICs on the dyno, peak power numbers on the dyno may be skewed downward. This has already been shown a bunch where the ICs get heat soaked. Only thing that matters is how the cars perform out on the track.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:03 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I posted my thoughts of PTS-BRG's logs in the COBB thread, So we wouldn't Hi-Jack this thread.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 01-06-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:46 PM
BMWDEMON
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Great write up!

Thank you for writing up on the Kline. I considered the system but decided that another route was better for me. BTW what spoiler do you have installed? I like the mini duck....slightly over OEM yet very clean...

Quick Reply: '19 991.2 GTS mods - Kline, Numeric, Rennline, DSC