Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 991.1 Targa 4 GTS 7MT

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 10:05 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

They list the horsepower at 475- is that correct and redline at 8250? thought it would only be 430 with the power kit and lower redline? I was interested for a minute until I thought about it...
Old 03-31-2020, 10:08 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
They list the horsepower at 475- is that correct and redline at 8250? thought it would only be 430 with the power kit and lower redline? I was interested for a minute until I thought about it...
Not correct but consider the source...dealers tend to make mistakes like that when the average person would think a dealer would know the exact specs!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

Bob is right. Some of the people don’t know the exact specs so don’t read too much in that.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:43 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Hi guys,

so after 3 years or research and many missed opportunities of purchasing a 991.1 Targa 4 GTS manual (painful memories), I might just be able to pull the trigger on one of them. It's not a done deal yet so I don't wanna jinx it and just wanna keep my head cool.
The car is CPO'ed and I am a bit worried about the roof condition, there are some signs of wrinkling on the rear part of the fabric roof (seems some of you have this kind of wrinkles so I am not too worried).
Still waiting for DME reports and maintenance history service book , body looks good albeit rear bumper was replaced - not a deal breaker for me. What should I check on Targa roof conditions especially since it is my first Targa ever?

Other things to check (none Targa related) : COV recalls?
I know about the stumble issue and possibly some people had bore scoring - should I require compressions measurement and endoscope the combustion chamber?

Many thanks for your feedback and wish me luck!!
Old 12-11-2021, 10:48 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default 7speed

I think the 7speed is great. If you swap the GT4 kit it is epic.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1SSU.html

Old 12-11-2021, 05:06 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I think the 7speed is great. If you swap the GT4 kit it is epic.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1SSU.html
Good idea, it's on the list of things I might try.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:12 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

The long wait is over!
Just picked up my 991.1 Targa 4 GTS 7MT after more than 4 years of patience and many painfully missed opportunities. Sorry for the crappy pictures but I could not help but drive the car home ASAP.
The color is deep metal black.

Main options :
- GTS interior with red carmine stitching
- PCM + phone module
- model designation delete
- GTS sticker on doors delete
- Cruise control
- Bose
- Servo plus
- Light Package
- Automatic mirror
- Homelink
- LED with PDLS+
- 18 way seats
- parking radar front and read + back up camera
- Sport design steering wheel in leather and gear **** in leather
- Heated seats
- Smoking package
- Comfort package (don't know what that means)
- Digital Radio
- Camera that read speed limit signals

Drove the car back home mainly on motorway for about 350 miles, got about 26 US MPG and even reached 29 US MPG before traffic jams - speed around 80 to 85 mph with A/C ON so very impressed with fuel consumption for car this heavy with AWD.

First impressions :
- engine noise is great. Very different from the 993 (of course) in the sense that it does not sound like two 3 cylinder engines put together but sounds more like an inline 6 if that makes sense. Probably need more time with the car to confirm it but pleasantly surprised (I love the sound of inline 6 engines).
- engine performance: need to rev to get the car going but the engine likes to rev and the noise is intoxicating. acceleration from stand still is more than quick enough for me and I love AWD grip for quick take off. More fun than I expected. Driving in town or traffic is a chore (not pleasant) due to lack of torque at low - mid rpm.
- gearbox: still getting used to it, especially 5-6-7. I noticed the gear shift indicator asks to upshift early like from 1400rpm. That explains the low fuel consumption. Gear shift is OK, not as worse as what read - with spending more time in city traffic, I came to realize that gearshift is not super precise between 1 and 2 but I am being picky. I'll see how I like it or not with more mileage under my belt.
- clutch kissing point is a bit low on the clutch pedal so I had to adjust to it - almost stalled twice or thrice.
- engine vibrations felt obviously during eco-stop restart : not pleasant.
- noise on motorway (roof closed): a bit of aero noise (expected for a targa), engine noise is contained. much better experience compared to my 993 (of course).
- cruise control very convenient and helpful on motorway. a shame I don't have it in the 993.
- no specific cabin smell (like a nice leather smell just like in my 993)
- 18 way seat a bit firm for my butt. I did not have lower back pain which is a good point.
- very nice cabin, very happy with quality of materials and cabin lighting - feels like a luxurious GT.
- PCM navigation not as helpful as google maps - I use my smartphone in bluetooth. I don't feel the need for apple car play upgrade.

All in all, very happy with the purchase.

The following 7 users liked this post by Watson:
911sccab (02-03-2022), 991Targa4S (02-03-2022), desmotesta (02-03-2022), P991GTS (02-04-2022), spyderbret (02-03-2022), T3X4S (02-04-2022), Tangerine (02-04-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:44 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

congratulations! what an upgrade
The following users liked this post:
Watson (02-04-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 05:42 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

I checked the Comfort package and it is actually a bundle of options including :
- 638 : front and rear parking sensors with back up camera,
- P13: automatically dimming interior/exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor,
- 454: cruise control,
- 342: heated seats,
- P23: PCM with Navigation
- 666: Phone module

Writing down other impressions :
- Ergonomics of the dashboard and center console is very good to me. The gear **** placement is perfect, right under the hand and I like the high position of the center console. Volume **** for the stereo is also very close to my hand so I don't feel like I am missing the convenience of a multifunction steering wheel with all the buttons on it. Navigating the different menus in the "screen gauge" is OK with the stalk. So for those of you who are afraid to lose the convenience of a multifunction steering wheel if you have a Sport Design steering wheel, don't be.
- I really like the light design package, it give the cabin a very enjoyable atmosphere and makes easier to see all buttons when it is dark outside without being too bright. I thought it would also include lights for the rear footwell but it seems I don't have them.
- I have never listened to base audio or Burmester sound system but the Bose in the 991.1 is good enough for me, I have no complains about it (I am certainly not an audiophile). I don't think I would need to upgrade the audio as I initially expected and also because I also like to listen to engine noise (except on motorways).

One question for the owners of 991.1 with Sport Design Steering wheel with manual gearbox and Sport Chrono pack : when I push the Sport or Sport Plus button, the little light indicator "Sport" or "Sport Plus" does not show up on my Sport Design Steering wheel. I know the lights come ON for 997.2 Turbo PDK. Is it supposed to light ON or not with a manual gearbox? If not, have anyone tried to activate it - could be just some coding? That would look awesome.
I do have the Sport or Sport Plus message in the screen of the rev counter though.

Quick Reply: New to me 991.1 Targa 4 GTS 7MT