Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Objectively speaking: 991.2 or 991.1 for a $90k purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 02:43 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

It's fun to ask for other people's opinions but you know what they say about opinions, right?!
I test drove a C2S and it was a blast. It had all the creature comforts and the performance to boot. I ended up ordering a GTS because it hit the sweet spot for me. The bottom line is, get the car that you can afford and/or you are willing spend. I've learned to spend a little more to get what I really want vs. living with a car that I'm not 100% happy with. In the long run, it'll save you $$. No one truly knows what is best for you but you and yourself alone. My .02.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:30 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
People ask me for car buying advise quite a bit, probably since I've owned 462 cars (42 Porsche's).
Now I know whom to ask about specifics of a certain car. And I thought i had a lot with only about 30 42 Porsches! Nice!
Are you a dealer, or have extended family, or live in 462 cities around the Globe?
Old 12-21-2018, 12:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
It's obvious from the answers so far that there is a clear winner lol.
Well, there's always gotta be .1st place and .2nd place.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by afk
my vote would be: 991.1 GTS convertible
Mine too - that's why I have one.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:55 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

More hp, the boost is linear from very low in the rev range, just good usable everyday power. The front and rear looks better as well. Get a .2
Old 12-21-2018, 09:22 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Without disrespect to the OP, I am continually amazed at the number of threads here that ask for other opinions on variants, colors, options, etc., that can truly only be resolved by one person (maybe 2 if you include the spouse). In the end, the only result from these threads is the number of cuckoos flying over the nest espousing the reasons why they made the very personal decision to buy the car that they drive. In the .1 v .2 discussions, you will never get a consensus or a correct answer in this forum, just a lot of biased opinions. It's like having CNN and FOX on your last channel button. The two cars you have settled upon are very much the same, but have very different characteristics .Drive them both, then buy the one that speaks to you. Period, end of story.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
People bag on the .2 as not being that engaging, but everyone who has a T seems to love it.
I've owned and driven several 911s from both generations of the 991 era. If you can swing a Carrera T, that's the way to go.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Without getting into a hornet's nest here, I want to hear what people have to say about each of these cars. I am considering a fairly high dollar purchase, and am looking at either late model 991.1 4S, GTS, or 4GTS models. At the $90k+ price point however, the 991.2 comes into play. I have driven both, but they were limited test drives. Obviously, nobody is going to loan me a car to take 100 miles out to the mountain roads I want to really test the car on. I owned a 2012 C2S manual, so I know the 1st-gen pretty well.

Differences I have been able to discern already: the NA engine vs Turbo (Turbo faster, NA more engaging); exhaust (PSE sounds better in the 991.1); handling (dampers feel more refined and tighter in the 991.2) and the newer car seems to handle better; the clutch and transmission is improved on the 991.2.

Good summary? The 991.1 GTS models are coming down in price and I can probably pick one up in the low 90's if I am patient, but boy, the 991.2 feels like the quicker car, at least from a handling perspective, at least the one I drove when I swapped with a fellow RL'er on a drive recently. It was one impressive car. I was all set on the .2, but now I am thinking GTS again. The GTS may depreciate a bit less, which is a good thing. The ones I see for sale are about the same price as the 991.2 C2S models, which are a year newer.

People bag on the .2 as not being that engaging, but everyone who has a T seems to love it. There doesn't seem to be that much logic behind some of this reasoning.

991.2 GTS is out of the question. Can't afford it.
I owned a 99.1 S and later a second 991.1S with the power kit and currently own a 991.2GTS, so I have a fair amount of seat time with both engines. The 3.8 liter is very emotional, with great sound, but with the infamous “stumble.” The 3.0 TT has gobs of torque (lag is negligible), pulls fiercely and much more quickly than the 3.8 liter, with very good sound that is more than acceptable for most owners. The telematics, steering wheel, center storage (slightly larger), mirror (nearly frameless), and some other minor things are improved on the 991.2. The 991.1 had consistent change over valve issues (mostly fixed early and under warranty but you still see some failures pop up on Rennlist from time to time) and the 991.2 seems to have a high number of water pump failures (again, replaced under warranty - mine has been fine so far, no failure). As far as looks, the 991 is such a classic shape that I think both are winners. I do prefer the back grille on the 991.2 over the lobster back of the 991.1 but that is really just quibbling. One other minor advantage to the .2 - you can turn off the auto start/stop and it will stay off (on the .2 it will return to the default of on every time you start the car). On the .2, RWS is an option on some models - an absolute game changer (virtually extends the wheelbase 19" at high speeds and reduces it by 9" at low speeds).
Both cars are fantastic (I have owned two 991.1S’s and now the 991.GTS and have loved them all).

Name:  si3JmDL.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  94.8 KB

Old 12-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
Without disrespect to the OP, I am continually amazed at the number of threads here that ask for other opinions on variants, colors, options, etc., that can truly only be resolved by one person (maybe 2 if you include the spouse). In the end, the only result from these threads is the number of cuckoos flying over the nest espousing the reasons why they made the very personal decision to buy the car that they drive. In the .1 v .2 discussions, you will never get a consensus or a correct answer in this forum, just a lot of biased opinions. It's like having CNN and FOX on your last channel button. The two cars you have settled upon are very much the same, but have very different characteristics .Drive them both, then buy the one that speaks to you. Period, end of story.
I appreciate the reply. The reason I haven't driven both is that it is nearly impossible to find 2 of these cars nearby with the correct options. I don't live in a densely populated area: the nearest Porsche dealer is 190 miles away, and the nearest place that would even stock a car like this is...190 miles away. The 2 feet of snow we have on the ground also doesn't encourage many dealers to bring in cars this time of year. Yes, I know I "should" drive both, but not everyone is lucky enough to live in SoCal, Miami, or another hotbed for sportscars. I have owned P-cars before, but this will have to be a "faith" purchase.

At least I am not asking about color. That decision is made: Mexico Blue!
Old 12-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I owned a 99.1 S and later a second 991.1S with the power kit and currently own a 991.2GTS, so I have a fair amount of seat time with both engines. The 3.8 liter is very emotional, with great sound, but with the infamous “stumble.” The 3.0 TT has gobs of torque (lag is negligible), pulls fiercely and much more quickly than the 3.8 liter, with very good sound that is more than acceptable for most owners. The telematics, steering wheel, center storage (slightly larger), mirror (nearly frameless), and some other minor things are improved on the 991.2. The 991.1 had consistent change over valve issues (mostly fixed early and under warranty but you still see some failures pop up on Rennlist from time to time) and the 991.2 seems to have a high number of water pump failures (again, replaced under warranty - mine has been fine so far, no failure). As far as looks, the 991 is such a classic shape that I think both are winners. I do prefer the back grille on the 991.2 over the lobster back of the 991.1 but that is really just quibbling. One other minor advantage to the .2 - you can turn off the auto start/stop and it will stay off (on the .2 it will return to the default of on every time you start the car). On the .2, RWS is an option on some models - an absolute game changer (virtually extends the wheelbase 19" at high speeds and reduces it by 9" at low speeds).
Both cars are fantastic (I have owned two 991.1S’s and now the 991.GTS and have loved them all).

Hurricane! What great looking cars you have!

The Aerokit 991 in black is simply stunning. I imagine the Blue 991.2 looks great as well, although the picture didn't correctly upload.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Hurricane! What great looking cars you have!

The Aerokit 991 in black is simply stunning. I imagine the Blue 991.2 looks great as well, although the picture didn't correctly upload.
Thanks! I dearly love the Sapphire Blue one! The only one that I had built (the others were bought used/CPO). She's a keeper - I hope to have this one for a very long time.

The black w/powerkit and aerokit cup was a fantastic car. Sadly, I was hit by a 17 year old girl in a large Kia last year (her fault) and the car was totaled.

The basalt black 2012.5 991S in the first photo was also a great car. Had a lot of fun with that one - my first 911! Traded it in on the black w/powerkit/areokit cup in 2016.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

I appreciate the reply. The reason I haven't driven both is that it is nearly impossible to find 2 of these cars nearby with the correct options. I don't live in a densely populated area: the nearest Porsche dealer is 190 miles away, and the nearest place that would even stock a car like this is...190 miles away. The 2 feet of snow we have on the ground also doesn't encourage many dealers to bring in cars this time of year. Yes, I know I "should" drive both, but not everyone is lucky enough to live in SoCal, Miami, or another hotbed for sportscars. I have owned P-cars before, but this will have to be a "faith" purchase.

Great color!
Old 12-21-2018, 06:34 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
Because the .1 Defense Bridge has arrived. Whenever the .1/.2 discussion begins, they're there.
Waiting for the Dyson comments, already heard "more engaging"..."sounds better". I'll take my twin turbos and the Bose anyday.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:54 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

I live in an area with plenty of dealers, and even with that, the short, meaningless test drives offered by the dealers on traffic choke routes didn't help my decision. I feel your pain.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:02 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Whoa, I hope you're aware that this is a paint to sample color, and finding a model in the Carrera line in this color with the options you want will be extremely hard. If you find one, head quickly to Vegas and place some bets while you've got your luck with you, lol.

Quick Reply: Objectively speaking: 991.2 or 991.1 for a $90k purchase?