2018 991.2 C2 Base: My First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:21 AM
mistaacme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 991.2 C2 Base: My First Porsche

Hey guys/gals.

Just picked up my first Porsche after many years of wanting one. Finally was able to score a nice deal on one thru a buddy of mine Jon over at Jack Daniels Porsche. Have some basic plans for the car and curios as to member's insight on various parts such as suspension and exhaust.

Specs:
Guards Red/ Agate
-heated seats
-sunroof

My red headed stripper

Current mods ready for install:

-OEM Carrera T front lip
-OEM Carrera T short shift kit
-OEM Rear spoiler
-OEM Black Porsche Badge
-OEM Euro reflectors

Future mods (Open to suggestions of member with experience of any of these):
-Suspension. Considering Ohlins R/T coilovers, KW V3 or possibly KW HAS Kit
-Exhaust: Considering SOUL performance catless bypass as the OEM non-PSE is very quiet especially after my AMG GTS I traded out of!
-Tuning: DME Stage 2, possible Stage 3 if I do the Pure Turbo upgrade. Heard COBB is good too, but only limited to S1 at the moment?
-Wheels: too many to choose from, Likely will end up with something in BBS or HRE flavor

Last edited by mistaacme; 12-14-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:29 AM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:31 AM
mistaacme
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sean L.
Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks! So far so good. Have about 500mi on the clock and feels quite peppy for "only" 370hp...
Old 12-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice car man! Congrats!

I got a C2 Base as well.

I found the stock non-PSE exhaust to be very quite as well. I swapped the stock muffler for a Fabspeed X-pipe; that made a dramatic experience. Next is to do headers and cat-bypass to up the Rowdiness a bit and prep for tune.
In regards to tune, still waiting on more user data on stage 2 before jumping on board. That said, looking at either Fabspeed or AIM Performance for that.

Wheels lol; I got the same wheels as you right now. Ordered some HREs; I'll post pictures once I have them mounted in spring. Tons of choices like you said.

Enjoy the ride and have fun!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:38 AM
mistaacme
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aatish
Nice car man! Congrats!

I got a C2 Base as well.

I found the stock non-PSE exhaust to be very quite as well. I swapped the stock muffler for a Fabspeed X-pipe; that made a dramatic experience. Next is to do headers and cat-bypass to up the Rowdiness a bit and prep for tune.
In regards to tune, still waiting on more user data on stage 2 before jumping on board. That said, looking at either Fabspeed or AIM Performance for that.

Wheels lol; I got the same wheels as you right now. Ordered some HREs; I'll post pictures once I have them mounted in spring. Tons of choices like you said.

Enjoy the ride and have fun!
Way too many choices for wheels! Which HRE's did you go with? I'm really liking Classic 300. They've been done countless times, but look so good to me.

I was looking at the Fabspeed Xpipe as it seems they're the only company offering a piece like this for the base non-pse guys like us. However with poor past experience with them as a company I'm a little hesitant. Your plan is to go full straight thru? I semi-daily this so don't want it to be too too roudy haha! My benz was loud, but zero drone or anything.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Aatish
Pro

Originally Posted by mistaacme
Way too many choices for wheels! Which HRE's did you go with? I'm really liking Classic 300. They've been done countless times, but look so good to me.

I was looking at the Fabspeed Xpipe as it seems they're the only company offering a piece like this for the base non-pse guys like us. However with poor past experience with them as a company I'm a little hesitant. Your plan is to go full straight thru? I semi-daily this so don't want it to be too too roudy haha! My benz was loud, but zero drone or anything.
Classic 300s are really nice! I went with FF04s in Liquid Metal. Really like how they look in person. Pretty good for track and Mexico use, from past experience.

I'm probably going to do headers next, before touching the cats...but most likely will go straight through. Didn't have any issues with my X-pipe during install; everything lined up. Only thing that I needed to modify was the exit pipe; took off a 1/4in or so to bring the tips in a bit more. I believe they revised the exit pipe length to keep the tips tucked in a bit more.

The x-pipe honestly transformed the car. Wasn't expecting this big of a change with just a muffler; have had to touch the cats to get things rowdy in the past. But with this, it was a pleasant surprised. A lot louder than before; tone has become a lot meaner and noticeable. Crackles and pops in sport mode are a lot more pronounced now; almost gun-shot level. Arguably my favorite mod so far. I've take 300 mile + trips in the car with the exhaust, no issues with drone or comfort with this mod. If I wasn't planning on doing some roll racing events, I probably would keep it at just the X-pipe.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:06 PM
mistaacme
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aatish
Classic 300s are really nice! I went with FF04s in Liquid Metal. Really like how they look in person. Pretty good for track and Mexico use, from past experience.

I'm probably going to do headers next, before touching the cats...but most likely will go straight through. Didn't have any issues with my X-pipe during install; everything lined up. Only thing that I needed to modify was the exit pipe; took off a 1/4in or so to bring the tips in a bit more. I believe they revised the exit pipe length to keep the tips tucked in a bit more.

The x-pipe honestly transformed the car. Wasn't expecting this big of a change with just a muffler; have had to touch the cats to get things rowdy in the past. But with this, it was a pleasant surprised. A lot louder than before; tone has become a lot meaner and noticeable. Crackles and pops in sport mode are a lot more pronounced now; almost gun-shot level. Arguably my favorite mod so far. I've take 300 mile + trips in the car with the exhaust, no issues with drone or comfort with this mod. If I wasn't planning on doing some roll racing events, I probably would keep it at just the X-pipe.

Thanks for the input! Nice choice on the wheels. What color is your car?

I'd like to change the tips too as the factory non-PSE are kind of blah. Crazy how tips only are $500+. Might have a set custom fabbed along with an exhaust x. Will see though.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:18 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Love the car! I'm waiting on "just the right deal," too, to upgrade from my 991.1 to the .2. In fact, I'm going to be shopping for one with your the base 19" wheels due to the fact Atlanta roads are so terrible.

Enjoy it, and post in the future about how you like your mods.

PS - plastidip rear emblems
Old 12-14-2018, 12:50 PM
mistaacme
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drive95
Love the car! I'm waiting on "just the right deal," too, to upgrade from my 991.1 to the .2. In fact, I'm going to be shopping for one with your the base 19" wheels due to the fact Atlanta roads are so terrible.

Enjoy it, and post in the future about how you like your mods.

PS - plastidip rear emblems
Thanks, I plan on thoroughly enjoying this car and updating this thread as it progresses. Thank you for reminding me! I also purchased black PORSCHE badge and euro clear reflectors with the other stuff.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Aatish
Pro

Originally Posted by mistaacme
Thanks for the input! Nice choice on the wheels. What color is your car?

I'd like to change the tips too as the factory non-PSE are kind of blah. Crazy how tips only are $500+. Might have a set custom fabbed along with an exhaust x. Will see though.
My cars black. Nice and boring lol. I’m digging your red.

I had the OG square tips; swapped them out for the Fabspeed dual wall tips. Love em.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:59 PM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice...!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:10 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Congrats! Classic red never gets old. Have fun making mods.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:20 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

RE: the KW V3 suspension: I had this on my last 911 (a 997) and I found it to be WAY too stiff for everyday driving. Unless the roads in your area are as smooth as a pool table I would not recommend them. The spring rates on the rear are so high that it felt like the rear suspension didn't move for any bump. Ever. I lasted one summer before I swapped them out for a less aggressive Eibach set. The 991 version of the V3s may be different than the 997 version.

My two cents anyway. YMMV.

John
Old 12-14-2018, 11:59 PM
Mr_Skull
Intermediate

Nice! I also have a Guards red base 991.2 that I’ve had for a couple months and done some mods on. Techart springs, clear side markers, color matched headlight washers from BumperPlugs, SOUL high flow cats, Fabspeed X-pipe, and Fabspeed matte black tips. Got a set of dark brushed black BC Forged monoblock wheels on order. I’ll have to look into that OEM Carrerra T front lip.

I’ve done some road trips and Tail of the Dragon on the new exhaust setup and while I love the increased sound, HP, and exhaust note mine definately drones at highway speeds in the 70-90 mph range. I’ve heard SOUL is working on an options for the non PSE guys but not sure on a timeframe on it.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:11 AM
jesm
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The drop on your car looks PERFECT!! CONGRATS! Can you share more details on the Techart springs? fitment, ride, installation, etc...

Thanks, JESM.

Quick Reply: 2018 991.2 C2 Base: My First Porsche