Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Mod List & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I have used Cobb tuning on past cars and I would use them again in a heartbeat, and probably will after the break-in of my new Targa GTS is done. And I agree that most users are probably completely satisfied with the gains...too bad a few that always want more make it seem that Cobb is not a viable option.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:21 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by blurum
I would wager some of the frustrated Cobb owners are hard core and a small % where most opt for an OTS and done for the day. (pure guess without any kind of survey) But its these hard core guys that push the envelope that also push the best (or worst)out of the tuners. I learn a lot everyday from them. But for now I am happy with my Cobb OTS stage 1 . Once I start to track next year I am sure I will want more
Having the Access port gives flexibility and easy to flash on and off or swap tunes.
Agreed. I am one that likes to push the envelope. For the majority, who are more conservative, COBB Stage 1 will knock your socks off and you will love it. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But I know there is way more. Once Pro-tuning is released, we can get custom tunes for all our mods. You can refine to the nth degree. When you push hard on the track, Stage 1 pulls some timing. So we play with fuel, until stage 2, or the ability to adjust via Pro-tuning.
But stage 1 on the street is fantastic and easily the biggest bang per buck mod by a country mile.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I have used Cobb tuning on past cars and I would use them again in a heartbeat, and probably will after the break-in of my new Targa GTS is done. And I agree that most users are probably completely satisfied with the gains...too bad a few that always want more make it seem that Cobb is not a viable option.
No one is making it seem that COBB is not a viable option. It is the best option. However a few of us who push the envelope are impatient. Let's go baby. Let's see what these things can do. Its a combination of excitement and impatience. COBB is, and will always be number 1.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:58 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

What would a Cobb stage 1 do for a 991.2 c2s 0-60 or 1/4 mile?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:34 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdr911
Thank you so much for the very detailed review and rationale - to recap right now COBB is the only tuner with an access port which means we can easily tune via pro-tuning once the Stage 2 is released + if we get the ECU flashed for some reason at update or we want to put back to stock for a service inspection it will allow you to go back to the original settings. And there aren't any other ECU providers who can provide that ability (aka access port)? Sounds like I'll wait until Feb as that is when I will be looking for the install and if Stage 2 COBB is actually released we will even have data to compare against the other modders.
Removing the software is the least of your problems if you have a Stage 2 or 3 set up and have to bring to the dealer for a service inspection under warranty.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:33 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
At what milage do you consider the car "broken in"? I am at 1K with my Targa 4. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdr911
At what milage do you consider the car "broken in"? I am at 1K with my Targa 4. Thanks!
Under 4k RPMs for the first 1k, and over the next 1k I will gradually increase the max RPMs by 500 or a so a week.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:03 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I am an old guy (learned to drive on a 3 on a tree), and have been taking cars apart for over 45 years. Drove my first Porsche 48 years ago, and bought # 42 a couple weeks ago. Number 39 is a 997 S I bought and took apart 24 hours later, it has over 135K in modifications in it, many of the parts one off and designed by me. The word tuner did not exist (at not the way it is used for cars) when I started rebuilding cars, and over the years (with the 462 cars I have owned and others I have helped make their cars better) I have learned a great deal, and made many, many mistakes. I have blown up engines, multiple transmissions, and for I while I was the guy people came to when they wanted to turn their AWD car to RWD (I built RWD Gallardo in 04, and multiple 996tt RWD cars). I tell you this because there always comes a point where you must realize that there are limits to what you can do to the car without pulling out the engine rebuilding it and then adding a supercharger or turbo kit to it (I found this out 13 years ago with my 997, ending up doing just that. The other way is less weight, changing wheels and tires (or going to a lighter braking system) going to a smaller lighter wheel may not look good but if you can save 7-10lbs a corner the difference is far bigger than you think. Or you could take the car apart and rebuild the chassis with lighter material. Just remember if you are not prepared to make some radical changes there is only so much you can gain by tunes, I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars over the years trying to change cars that just would never be what I wanted them to be. In the end you need to ask yourself what you want from a car, and if you bought the right car. By the way I still have that 997S I have now spent over 280K (it blew a transmission up last summer), it has 17k miles on, can only be driven in perfect conditions (it has no traction controls and over 600HP) and the Porsche dealer considers it a kit car, and it is essentially worthless to anyone but me. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I am an old guy (learned to drive on a 3 on a tree), and have been taking cars apart for over 45 years. Drove my first Porsche 48 years ago, and bought # 42 a couple weeks ago. Number 39 is a 997 S I bought and took apart 24 hours later, it has over 135K in modifications in it, many of the parts one off and designed by me. The word tuner did not exist (at not the way it is used for cars) when I started rebuilding cars, and over the years (with the 462 cars I have owned and others I have helped make their cars better) I have learned a great deal, and made many, many mistakes. I have blown up engines, multiple transmissions, and for I while I was the guy people came to when they wanted to turn their AWD car to RWD (I built RWD Gallardo in 04, and multiple 996tt RWD cars). I tell you this because there always comes a point where you must realize that there are limits to what you can do to the car without pulling out the engine rebuilding it and then adding a supercharger or turbo kit to it (I found this out 13 years ago with my 997, ending up doing just that. The other way is less weight, changing wheels and tires (or going to a lighter braking system) going to a smaller lighter wheel may not look good but if you can save 7-10lbs a corner the difference is far bigger than you think. Or you could take the car apart and rebuild the chassis with lighter material. Just remember if you are not prepared to make some radical changes there is only so much you can gain by tunes, I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars over the years trying to change cars that just would never be what I wanted them to be. In the end you need to ask yourself what you want from a car, and if you bought the right car. By the way I still have that 997S I have now spent over 280K (it blew a transmission up last summer), it has 17k miles on, can only be driven in perfect conditions (it has no traction controls and over 600HP) and the Porsche dealer considers it a kit car, and it is essentially worthless to anyone but me. Happy Holidays!
Wow, from one car lover to another, but one that has had just over 60 to date, I would love to see your past and present vehicles. Do you have an online picture album of them for viewing? PM me if you prefer.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:08 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Great reply and thank you! Def helps to set expectations - I’m really just looking for a fun GT style daily driver that is somewhat idiot proof and yet has pickup and sounds great. But I would prob never track - hence why I got a Targa. Sounds like I’ll wait until Feb for COBB to finish stage 2 and upgrade with an X Pipe + Cats to have a better sound and get to a GTS level engine output. Many thanks to everyone for replying.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:06 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 629 Posts

I'm not quite that old, but I used to pretend to drive my dad's three on the tree. : )
Today its much simpler. Its basically 5 Stages.

Stage 1 is just a Tune on a stock car.
Stage 2 Is some bolt on's for freer flowing exhaust. Headers, Sports Cats, Exhaust and CAI or Air filter - With more tune.
Stage 3 Is usually about cooling, Upgraded intercoolers and radiators to get rid of the extra heat from more agressive tune as well.
Stage 4 is bolt on turbo's. Most these days make pre-made Hi-Flow turbo's (Most even do exchange)
Stage 5 is a Fully built motor.

But today with how clever ECU's are, all along the way, you can play with Fuel mixtures. Most here would be unfamiliar with E85. It sounds fearful. But it provides extra cooling and octane. It makes a huge difference.

Stage 3 with a custom E50 tune (half E85 and Half 93) will knock your socks off. It should exceed 600HP. To go beyond that, you'l need to upgrade the Turbo's.

Pretty much as soon as COBB release Pro-Tuning. I will jump from Stage 2, straight to Stage 3 and some E85. That may be enough. It depends on traction. If it can still get most of it to the ground, then I may keep going.
It takes time for the right set of Turbo's to come along. Most will move the Power curve to the right, so that usually helps with traction and drive ability. I still want an all rounder. One that can be epic at the track, and still be taken out to dinner at night.

Building a straight track car is easy. Building a really fast car, with no compromise, is much harder, and much more expensive. I did buy the right car. I was going to get a GT3, but really there is little that can be done to the N/A.
The turbo is much more interesting to mod. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:59 AM
1Carnut
Pro

The 991.1 I just bought is the first PDK 911 (my girlfriend drives a 718 Cayman S PDK) I have ever owned and what interests me more than the ECU tune is the PDK tune (I don't think you can get one without the other) since the better the cars transmission works then better the power comes on. The IPD unit interests me, and of course (something I blame Audi for) drive by wire delay, which for I have installed throttle controllers for. I seem to be overly sensitive to the delay drive by wire causes (and when I blame Audi it is because of the cars that the gas pedals got stuck on 30 years ago I think they were the 100's series). I have lost out on a couple of used Cobb units with the PDK, and since I live close to Fabspeed (I have known Joe since he was selling out of his trunk), I may take a ride up there and see if they will let me test out the Cobb unit. I did a transmission tune on my 4C, and put a different TCU (from a stradale) in one of my360's, and it made a huge difference in both cars. Right now all my summer cars are in storage including my 997, so I can concentrate on what the 991 needs. I do agree that building a car that can still be used as a road car (especially a daily driver) as well as a track car (I have owned a few Corvettes including a heavily modified C6 Z06) can make things more complicated.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I'm not quite that old, but I used to pretend to drive my dad's three on the tree. : )
Today its much simpler. Its basically 5 Stages.

Stage 1 is just a Tune on a stock car.
Stage 2 Is some bolt on's for freer flowing exhaust. Headers, Sports Cats, Exhaust and CAI or Air filter - With more tune.
Stage 3 Is usually about cooling, Upgraded intercoolers and radiators to get rid of the extra heat from more agressive tune as well.
Stage 4 is bolt on turbo's. Most these days make pre-made Hi-Flow turbo's (Most even do exchange)
Stage 5 is a Fully built motor.

But today with how clever ECU's are, all along the way, you can play with Fuel mixtures. Most here would be unfamiliar with E85. It sounds fearful. But it provides extra cooling and octane. It makes a huge difference.

Stage 3 with a custom E50 tune (half E85 and Half 93) will knock your socks off. It should exceed 600HP. To go beyond that, you'l need to upgrade the Turbo's.

Pretty much as soon as COBB release Pro-Tuning. I will jump from Stage 2, straight to Stage 3 and some E85. That may be enough. It depends on traction. If it can still get most of it to the ground, then I may keep going.
It takes time for the right set of Turbo's to come along. Most will move the Power curve to the right, so that usually helps with traction and drive ability. I still want an all rounder. One that can be epic at the track, and still be taken out to dinner at night.

Building a straight track car is easy. Building a really fast car, with no compromise, is much harder, and much more expensive. I did buy the right car. I was going to get a GT3, but really there is little that can be done to the N/A.
The turbo is much more interesting to mod. Happy Holidays.
Not to be pedantic, but if you want to run E50, it would seem to require about a 60/40 blend of E85 and gasoline (85% ethanol x 60% = 51%).

No argument about the cooling and octane benefits of ethanol, but since ethanol requires a richer mixture for the same output than gasoline, and the increased output requires even more fuel, can the stock injectors keep up? How much headroom do they have?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

The 991.1 I just bought is the first PDK 911 (my girlfriend drives a 718 Cayman S PDK) I have ever owned and what interests me more than the ECU tune is the PDK tune (I don't think you can get one without the other) since the better the cars transmission works then better the power comes on. The IPD unit interests me, and of course (something I blame Audi for) drive by wire delay, which for I have installed throttle controllers for. I seem to be overly sensitive to the delay drive by wire causes (and when I blame Audi it is because of the cars that the gas pedals got stuck on 30 years ago I think they were the 100's series). I have lost out on a couple of used Cobb units with the PDK, and since I live close to Fabspeed (I have known Joe since he was selling out of his trunk), I may take a ride up there and see if they will let me test out the Cobb unit. I did a transmission tune on my 4C, and put a different TCU (from a stradale) in one of my360's, and it made a huge difference in both cars. Right now all my summer cars are in storage including my 997, so I can concentrate on what the 991 needs. I do agree that building a car that can still be used as a road car (especially a daily driver) as well as a track car (I have owned a few Corvettes including a heavily modified C6 Z06) can make things more complicated.
The Audis never had sticking throttles. The problem was an idle speed controller that sometimes failed and elevated idle speed. When the driver popped the car into drive or reverse, the car lurched unexpectedly, since the idle speed could be above 2000 rpm. In those days, the transmissions did not have interlocks requiring that your foot be on the brake before shifting out of park into drive or reverse, so this lurch startled the drivers. The driver then went for the brake, and 999 times out of a 1000, easily controlled the car.

In that 1 out of 1000 circumstance, however, the driver accidentally hit the gas and floored the throttle. Thus was born the out-of-control, unworldly powerful, madly accelerating Audi. The German engineers understood this pretty well, but they didn't comprehend public relations. Telling Audi customers, who were, and are, largely affluent, educated people, that they were at fault didn't go over well. Denying the problem in general didn't help either. All this happened in 1986 or 87 and in a matter of two years, Audi sales fell about 80% in America and took about a decade to recover.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:48 AM
1Carnut
Pro

I was able to purchase the Cobb unit with the PDK software yesterday, it should be here next Tuesday. There is also another issue I have encountered over the years and that is tolerance for risk. Some owners like me could care less about warranties since they cannot enjoy the car the way it is out of the box (my reference to a stock car), though I am very well known at car dealerships in my area and have never been denied a warranty claim. Others are less inclined to risk anything and will wait till the warranty ends before doing anything. Then there are those who are worried that changing their tail pipes will void the warranty. I myself am not a purist, I believe cars are made to satisfy a wide variety of users. I should probably tell you I am different (I am autistic and have only an 8th grade education), and see cars without emotional attachment they are merely machines to me (or adult tinker toys as I call them). I am only telling you this because I found out on the Ferrarichat forum that because I cannot be offended, I do at times offend others. I will apologize in advance if I do, I never mean to.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I was able to purchase the Cobb unit with the PDK software yesterday, it should be here next Tuesday. There is also another issue I have encountered over the years and that is tolerance for risk. Some owners like me could care less about warranties since they cannot enjoy the car the way it is out of the box (my reference to a stock car), though I am very well known at car dealerships in my area and have never been denied a warranty claim. Others are less inclined to risk anything and will wait till the warranty ends before doing anything. Then there are those who are worried that changing their tail pipes will void the warranty. I myself am not a purist, I believe cars are made to satisfy a wide variety of users. I should probably tell you I am different (I am autistic and have only an 8th grade education), and see cars without emotional attachment they are merely machines to me (or adult tinker toys as I call them). I am only telling you this because I found out on the Ferrarichat forum that because I cannot be offended, I do at times offend others. I will apologize in advance if I do, I never mean to.
My thoughts exactly, and no offense taken at all!

Quick Reply: ECU Mod List & Feedback