Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement quote - does this make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 PM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GasStation
Found the answer to the "braking energy recuperation" theory in the Banner website FAQ. Now it is just a matter of confirming that the 991 alternator acts as described below.

Quite simply, brake energy recovery.
When you accelerate or brake, some of your car's kinetic energy is usually lost. Part of this energy is recovered through recuperation.
This is because the alternator (also called generator) intentionally puts more strain on it in this phase, the voltage of the alternator is raised so that the charging process is accelerated and thus more energy is supplied to the battery. The alternator converts the kinetic energy into electricity, in principle like a bicycle dynamo. In acceleration phases and in normal operation, the output of the alternator can be partially reduced or even set to zero, which means more energy is available for the drive.
The reason: The vehicle now uses the energy that the battery has previously stored. This saves fuel and emissions. Because Banner Running Bull series start-stop car batteries are real CO2 and fuel savers.
it does, keep it in normal mode(no sport or +) and watch the voltage , it would hover around 13.6-13.7v while driving, but when breaking it will increase to > 14v
Old 02-12-2019, 02:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

VRLA batteries include the sub-groups: AGM, SLA, EFB, GEL. They are all VRLA batteries. They are all sealed and necessitate safety valves.
I don't think so. What was your source? As far as I know from my years working in a battery lab, an AGM and GEL is.

I do not know what an Enhanced Flooded Battery (a Banner battery term?) is, maybe just a fancy name for a different FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) battery that can take cycling.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:52 PM
GasStation
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I don't think so. What was your source? As far as I know from my years working in a battery lab, an AGM and GEL is.

I do not know what an Enhanced Flooded Battery (a Banner battery term?) is, maybe just a fancy name for a different FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) battery that can take cycling.
My source: https://www.concordia.ca/content/dam...dBatteries.pdf

What battery lab did you work in all those years?

Here's for the EFB description.

The enhanced flooded battery (EFB) is an upgraded conventional battery. Special additives and the use of a polyester scrim lend the active mass additional hold. As a result, the battery has improved cyclical resistance and is extremely vibration resistant.
Banner recommendation. For safety reasons, when installing the battery indoors always use a degassing hose, which in an emergency will conduct the gas outwards.

TECHNICAL DATA AND INFOS
  • Nonwoven layer on the separator and a special active mass recipe
  • Twice the cycle life as compared to standard starter batteries.
  • E3 classification pursuant to EN 50342-1.
  • Highest V3 vibration resistance pursuant to EN 50342-1
  • Double-lid top for maximum leak protection and the highest operational safety
  • Absolute maintenance-free owing to modern calcium mesh technology.
I now agree that the VRLA battery installed in my 2015 is an AGM VRLA-type based on my latest findings concerning the braking energy recuperation theory in the Banner description.

Cheers,
Old 02-12-2019, 04:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

What battery lab did you work in all those years?

I now agree that the VRLA battery installed in my 2015 is an AGM VRLA-type based on my latest findings concerning the braking energy recuperation theory in the Banner description.
National Defense battery lab where I tested chargers and batteries. We would do the full test on batteries: load and capacity test using proper but time consuming equipment. Its why I have seen big differences in readings between fast and easy conductance testers like a MidTronics or that Solar shown a few posts above to real "time consuming" capacity tests using a Programma Torkel 840/860. As for charger testing, lets not go there other than to say many so-called high tech chargers promise you the world...right on their packaging. lol

This is the Banner battery I believe we have in our cars, less the Porsche and Porsche part numbers on the label. The specs are the same as those in my car. Some vehicles have the 70 Ah battery, I have the 80 Ah battery.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Banner AGM 580 01.pdf (205.4 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Bammer Batteries Source US

Where did you find in the Us to purchase banner batteries (I can only find them in Europe).

National Defense battery lab where I tested chargers and batteries. We would do the full test on batteries: load and capacity test using proper but time consuming equipment. Its why I have seen big differences in readings between fast and easy conductance testers like a MidTronics or that Solar shown a few posts above to real "time consuming" capacity tests using a Programma Torkel 840/860. As for charger testing, lets not go there other than to say many so-called high tech chargers promise you the world...right on their packaging. lol

This is the Banner battery I believe we have in our cars, less the Porsche and Porsche part numbers on the label. The specs are the same as those in my car. Some vehicles have the 70 Ah battery, I have the 80 Ah battery.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

All this talk about AGM, VRLA, SLA, EFB is making my head spin. Can't we just buy an Interstate or Duracell AGM battery to replace the Banner when it dies? I mean, the Interstate or Duracell or whatever is not going to make the car explode, will it?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
All this talk about AGM, VRLA, SLA, EFB is making my head spin. Can't we just buy an Interstate or Duracell AGM battery to replace the Banner when it dies? I mean, the Interstate or Duracell or whatever is not going to make the car explode, will it?
Obviously to the first question and obviously not to the second question. I'll just use an East Penn, a manufacturer of batteries. So many of them are just relabeled and made by Johnson Controls and a few others, etc.

In fact the last Interstate I think it was, had a "Made in Germany" sticker on it. Saw that on one of the threads on here.

Want to start an oil thread? It would be far worse and based on conjecture.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:17 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Where did you find in the Us to purchase banner batteries (I can only find them in Europe).
Just mentioned them as it is the Porsche factory installation in my 2015. See post #69 above - pic of a Porsche - Banner battery in my GTS.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 PM
GasStation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Methinks the only Banner brand battery you may be able to purchase in Canada or the US is probably going to be from a Porsche dealer parts department.

FWIW, now that I know that the OEM Banner (Porsche) battery is an AGM, I would not have a problem with purchasing a replacement battery from Porsche.

In Canada, we always pay 35% more in CAD due to the USD exchange rate. Plus, since we don't have the population and sales' numbers, add another 10% - 15% on top of that, then add a 5% for the Liberal government's corruption & collusion needs and you end up with a Porsche AGM battery being sold by the dealership at approx $400 + 15% (taxes). But we are used to being exploited...it's the Canadian way.

However, I refuse to pay $170 per hour to have a it installed...there I draw the line.

The aftermarket high end AGM batteries in Canada run upwards of $375 CAD + 15% tax. So in the end, I don't mind buying from the Porsche dealer parts' department and drinking their free caffé latté. It gives me some "face-time" with them and provides indulgences for future requests.

Gas
Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Does anyone with a 991.1 use this battery? There has been discussion at the 958 forum that this battery is made in Germany by the same supplier of Porsche batteries:

AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H8, 900 CCA
Old 02-14-2019, 02:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

In fact the last Interstate I think it was, had a "Made in Germany" sticker on it. Saw that on one of the threads on here.
Found it. Who knows who it is made by. Could be Moll-Kamina who used to make them for Porsche (993). I know my East Penn battery I installed in my 993 looked 100% identical to the Porsche Moll-Kamina I took out, other than case color.

Also note that it states "Marketed by Interstate Batteries" and not "Manufactured by" just above the bar code sticker.

Last edited by IXLR8; 02-23-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:45 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I have been doing some research both here and in the 958 forum. It looks to me that Porsche has been putting different size batteries in the 958.

Here, Lexvan's link to the self installation thread shows a 70ah, 760 CCA battery, while IXLR8 shows a 80ah, 800 CCA battery. So, I think a 95ah, 900 CCA should cover all bases
Old 02-15-2019, 01:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Here, Lexvan's link to the self installation thread shows a 70ah, 760 CCA battery, while IXLR8 shows a 80ah, 800 CCA battery. So, I think a 95ah, 900 CCA should cover all bases
It is a lot colder up here and I guess Porsche covered their butt in case someone is _____ enough to drive their 911 in the winter.

If you have trouble starting, it is either a tired battery, a charging system not performing, a wiring connection issue or the starter. Pointless going bigger...your choice.

My friend's 997 was ultra slow to start when hot. Installed the much talked about on RL wiring harness. That wasn't it. New battery even though it tested good. That wasn't it. It was the starter. Faulty starter which I rebuilt and is a spare now.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:11 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Sounds like he was trying to do you a favor by charging you about $800 for a freaking battery. Crazy. Buy an AMG battery and put it in yourself. Save about $550. Take the wife out to an expensive dinner and then buy her a gift too for being such a good wife. Or buy the kids a nice holiday present. This programming stuff is just a scare tactic to separate you from your hard earned money.

Your SA sounds like a grinch wannabe.
One of these days someone ought to turn all these "scare tactics" episodes into a class action lawsuit.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:12 PM
MAXIME75US
Intermediate

are you in the US?
because Varta doe not sell it in the US...
I am lloking for a 49/H8 AGM

Quick Reply: Battery replacement quote - does this make sense?