Porsche 911 - 991.2 Ventilted Seat Cleaning Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 01:19 PM
jpanamera
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 911 - 991.2 Ventilted Seat Cleaning Question

Hey Folks,

Does anyone also get what seems like every speck of dirt, dust, crumbs, stuck inside the tiny holes in the perforated leather seats?

Does anyone one have a “hack” or easy way to extract all these annoying things? It’s killing me and my “car OCD.”

I have trie lint roller to no avail. A pin or paper clip seems precarious and one slip up and your maybe nicking or cutting leather.

I can’t be the only one out there with this little predicament.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:20 PM
jpanamera
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpanamera
Hey Folks,

Does anyone also get what seems like every speck of dirt, dust, crumbs, stuck inside the tiny holes in the perforated leather seats?

Does anyone one have a “hack” or easy way to extract all these annoying things? It’s killing me and my “car OCD.”

I have trie lint roller to no avail. A pin or paper clip seems precarious and one slip up and your maybe nicking or cutting leather.

Here is a pic...
Old 12-01-2018, 01:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

This needs to be moved to the 991 Forum.

You need a decent leather cleaner like Lexol in the orange bottle. And a quality, small, leather cleaning brush from Swissvax.

You can also experiment with the leather cleaner and a shop vac, while still damp.

Last edited by LexVan; 12-02-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:55 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 196 Posts

Well damn. I just spec'd leather seat centers w/ventilated seats in my GTS over the Alcantara because of my perception that the leather would be easier to clean.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:00 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by jpanamera
Hey Folks,

You want a hack, well here is a hack. Well, maybe not a hack, in fact, its a lot of work, but an OCDers paradise.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1054...ted-seats.html
Old 12-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I laughed out loud when I originally saw that thread and just did the same again. Leather is better than Alcantara so you made the right decision V999. As said, use a thin conditioner like Lexol and wipe it on gently. If it builds up over time you may want to try to use a warm/damp rag, which may help but I have yet to experience that and never did in past rides with similar seats, and my wife has not had any problems with perforated seats in SUV so I have no clue how people are getting their seats so dirty.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:54 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

first a vacuum, then hot water and a terry cloth towel, scrub and vacuum. If somethings stuck use a brush or paint brush and scrub it
Old 12-02-2018, 02:03 AM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the same seats. The ventilation is awesome, especially here in Phoenix, however they are a PAIN to keep clean.

I know you said you tried a lint roller. I bought a 4-pack of lint rollers from Costco. They work 100 X better than the store bought ones.

I had a small tear repaired on my seat & asked the tech dozens of questions on the seat & interior care. He said vacuum, then use a lint roller, then a damp microfiber cloth (not the cheap ones) on the seats. NOT too wet! Maybe 2X per year use a water base (not oil) conditioner...lightly.

I have a nice 6 Gal portable Ryobi cordless 80 CFM vacuum I use as well for debris in the webbing.

Last edited by Dkk16; 12-02-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:45 AM
Cheshi143
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Lint roller pulls the dust/stuff out of the ventilation holes.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:53 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Wow you guys are really overthinking this. All the special cleaners and brushes are not going to pull that stuff out of the perforation holes. That is the problem he is trying to solve.

Stick a wooden toothpick in the clogged hole and you are done in 1 second for each clogged hole. That rubber gum massager tool also looks like it would work. Yeah it pushes a little speck into the seat. But really, so what. It is invisible and minuscule.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:05 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Here is another thread worth resding onthe same topic.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1089...forations.html
Old 12-02-2018, 10:10 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Wow you guys are really overthinking this. All the special cleaners and brushes are not going to pull that stuff out of the perforation holes. That is the problem he is trying to solve.

Stick a wooden toothpick in the clogged hole and you are done in 1 second for each clogged hole. That rubber gum massager tool also looks like it would work. Yeah it pushes a little speck into the seat. But really, so what. It is invisible and minuscule.
This is what I've done for some time and it works quickly like JW911 says... maybe an extra 5 minutes during an interior cleaning. Done gently and with a rotation, the wood seems to clean out the hole nicely with no enlargement. A couple of times I've had to dampen the toothpick with leather cleaner to better "wash out" whatever it was in the hole. You can first dull the sharp tip a little if it worries you, but I've never had a problem with harming the surrounding leather. Heck, they are safe enough to jab in your mouth around the gums, so they can't be that sharp.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
Well damn. I just spec'd leather seat centers w/ventilated seats in my GTS over the Alcantara because of my perception that the leather would be easier to clean.
I spec'd leather w/ ventilation over alcantara in my GTS and couldn't be happier. Once every 2-3 months a quick clean with Griot's 3-1 leather cleaning and no issues.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:04 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
I don't think you need to worry either... in my case I think I "had" to do the toothpick trick twice in 3 years or so. One of those was from someone getting in with excess sunscreen on the back of their legs and it dried in the holes before I noticed it.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:14 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
I spec'd leather w/ ventilation over alcantara in my GTS and couldn't be happier. Once every 2-3 months a quick clean with Griot's 3-1 leather cleaning and no issues.
I appreciate you easing my mind about it. In truth, I’m not very OCD about that sort of thing. Also, there appears to be a couple well respected detailers not too far from me. I was already planning to take the car to one of them quarterly anyway. So it will be their problem, mostly. I’ll do the day to day washes.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 - 991.2 Ventilted Seat Cleaning Question