Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first Porsche, am I crazy to road-trip it home with wife and kids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:15 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Go for it, sounds like a fun trip. If they don't like it, just drop them off in Portland and let them fly home.
This is a great idea!
Old 12-01-2018, 10:15 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Go for it. Right after we bought our 911 we drove down the Oregon coast to visit the kids in NorCal. Just my wife and I and we really enjoyed it. I think we did two stops and took three days. Roads should be less crowded this time of year too. Just peel off toward Astoria off I5 and no big mountain passes. There is a good chance it will be rainy, but maybe you get lucky. Good luck!

Last edited by dflowerz; 12-01-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:34 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

I would not do that. Shipping is cheap, compared to depreciation, maintenance, tires, fuel, meals and lodging. Save the driving for when you have it ready for a nice drive in great weather.. Im on my tenth Porsche and that's what I'd do.

Last edited by PCA1983; 12-01-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a 991.1S and drove it from LA to Tampa in less than 48 hours. It was a blast and totally worth it.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:16 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Originally Posted by PCA1983
I would not do that. Shipping is cheap, compared to depreciation, maintenance, tires, fuel, meals and lodging. Save the driving for when you have it ready for a nice drive in great weather.. Im on my tenth Porsche and that's what I'd do.
Yeah this is not a financial decision but an experiential one.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:24 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 380 Posts

way too long of a drive with 2 kids in the back of the Porsche. They will remember the trip , but not fondly. Bring wife and leave the kids!
surprised no one here has mentioned this: BTW I hate it when people make an offer, it gets accepted and then they back out. Is that how you do business as well? In life you only have one reputation and you do not stand behind your word. How would you feel if the seller of the white car backed out after accepting your offer? Sorry but I had to say it, scummy move IMO. And from your description (unless I am missing something) you bought the white one before even seeing if you could get out of previous deal. I believe in Karma.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:26 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnob
Don't do it .
it won't be comfortable for the kids even though they're small .

an hour with little kids in the back is already a long trip.
Will be plenty of opportunities to drive it around the bay area or nice twisty roads to get a full enjoyment out of it.
I totally agree. You'll have so many opportunities to enjoy this wonderful car with them!
Old 12-01-2018, 11:26 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Do it! Your family will thank you for the bonding time. I took my 4 and 10 year olds in the back seats on a 5 hr (one way) pilgrimage to the Porsche meet in Hershey PA and they loved it. Two carry on size suitcases fit in the front. Lots on junk fits behind the rear seats. Bring entertainment (iPads etc) and headphones.

The only downside was the kids wanting to drive faster and accelerate harder! Got to keep it reasonable....

Join PCA and you will read plenty of stories about owners who had formative experiences in the back seats. I too remember those days! Pass it on!
Old 12-01-2018, 11:29 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
way too long of a drive with 2 kids in the back of the Porsche. They will remember the trip , but not fondly. Bring wife and leave the kids!
surprised no one here has mentioned this: BTW I hate it when people make an offer, it gets accepted and then they back out. Is that how you do business as well? In life you only have one reputation and you do not stand behind your word. How would you feel if the seller of the white car backed out after accepting your offer? Sorry but I had to say it, scummy move IMO. And from your description (unless I am missing something) you bought the white one before even seeing if you could get out of previous deal. I believe in Karma.
Nope definitely not how I do business which is why I called the salesman during his day off on his cell phone and apologized to him. We actually had a very nice chat and he was extremely understunderstanding.

If any of you are interested in the blue car call and ask for tim. Super good guy. I'd be happy to tell you what the offer was if yours serious and want to PM me.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:36 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 380 Posts

based on you backing out of a deal in lieu of another, I probably shouldn't offer this advice....but, many Porsches purchased sight unseen are not as advertised, I would suggest getting a ppi or at least a body shop or a friend to inspect the car before you fly out with your family to pick it up. Many Porsches at dealers have been in accidents and they do not declare this even if the dealer has knowledge and receipts of repairs.
Good luck and please next time you make a deal with someone...follow through on it.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:35 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 608 Posts

It all depends, mostly on the kids, somewhat on your wife, and on you. We did several epic trips, starting with my 14 month old daughter going cross country in a 944. We all enjoyed (I think) a multi-day drive from Anchorage to Skagway and back, in a 964 when my kids were 8 and 5.

If you think everyone can be happy for at least a few hours at a time, and you are willing to stop for play time when necessary, then you will have a great trip.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:53 AM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it. Too long for the kids.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:26 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Give me a break! It was from a dealership. Had it been a private sale, I might somewhat agree, but I bet if someone else came in that afternoon and offered more than he did, they would have sold it out from under him.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:58 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leave the kids at home and enjoy getting to know the car.

Don't miss Hwy 1 where it leaves 101 at Leggett and drops to the coast. Best 22 miles of P-car road in the country (and I did Tail of Dragon and Cherohala Hwy last spring)

Just did the drive from Tacoma to SoCal a few months ago in my GT4 and the Oregon coast was a blast. Also try out Siletz Hwy, route 229, in Oregon leaving the 101 from the coast at Kernville and then returning. You'll love the twisties. The kids, not so much.

Mike
Old 12-02-2018, 09:14 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Safety would be my biggest concern. If you have summer tires on your new Porsche they are only safe down to 40-45 degrees. So even if no snow is on the road and temps fall below this range, their rubber compound turns hard and the tires lose traction. Braking and cornering capability is significantly reduced. Either way, be careful and enjoy your new 911.

Last edited by john weires; 12-02-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Porsche, am I crazy to road-trip it home with wife and kids?