Sponsored by:

Best aftermarket exhaust for the 991.1 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:19 AM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best aftermarket exhaust for the 991.1 GTS

I picked up a 991.1 GTS cab a few weeks ago and love the car. I am enjoying the sound but I am looking for something a little more aggressive. I typically do exhausts on all of my sports cars I buy. Ideally I would
like a exhaust to be about 25-30% louder than stock with no drone and retain the lovely na burbles and pops.

Being many vendors have extension holiday sales right now that are ending soon I am eager to make a decision.

Please advise. Thank you!!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:09 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

I can tell you what I would do.. Change out the cats. Thats the first order of business to get the sound louder and car faster. Then the headers/downpipes. That will also improve flow and get the sound deeper.
If after both of those changes you still want it louder, then I would look into a full exhaust. I personally went with Kline, but there are several Rennlister's with other brands they love.

You really need to hear them to decide the sound you like.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
Jimmyk79 (07-07-2021), OMGTS (12-20-2020)
Old 11-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

My advice is to spend money on a good system (Akra for example) skip the cheap brands (FabSpeed for example).
The following users liked this post:
mc3456 (08-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2018, 02:29 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I would search previous threads (there have been many) to see which brands to consider given your criteria. Ultimately, if it's about the sound, you'll need to rely on youtube videos or sound clips, unless you can find someone local who has the setup you're considering.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:53 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZinger
I picked up a 991.1 GTS cab a few weeks ago and love the car. I am enjoying the sound but I am looking for something a little more aggressive. I typically do exhausts on all of my sports cars I buy. Ideally I would
like a exhaust to be about 25-30% louder than stock with no drone and retain the lovely na burbles and pops.

Being many vendors have extension holiday sales right now that are ending soon I am eager to make a decision.

Please advise. Thank you!!
It's difficult to pick and outright best exhaust since each brand has their positives over others. For example, Akrapovic is known for having the highest quality and most beautiful looking. Then you have a brand like iPE that produces arguably the best sounding exhaust on the market. There are a few others but these two are the most popular choices among our clients. Videos of both are below - feel free to PM or email me directly for more information - David@WheelsBoutique.com

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 11-27-2018, 04:37 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsB
It's difficult to pick and outright best exhaust since each brand has their positives over others. For example, Akrapovic is known for having the highest quality and most beautiful looking. Then you have a brand like iPE that produces arguably the best sounding exhaust on the market. There are a few others but these two are the most popular choices among our clients. Videos of both are below - feel free to PM or email me directly for more information - David@WheelsBoutique.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTU364ihHxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiw5XcP6MdA
Question - I have an aftermarket exhaust and installed the PSE button for factory functionality. In the iPE video, the valves seem to remain closed with the button turned to off. On my car it opens automatically no matter what at ~4K rpms. Is there a way to change this functionality to either on or off? I miss using the key fob sometimes and having this option.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:43 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I can tell you what I would do.. Change out the cats. Thats the first order of business to get the sound louder and car faster. Then the headers/downpipes. That will also improve flow and get the sound deeper.
If after both of those changes you still want it louder, then I would look into a full exhaust. I personally went with Kline, but there are several Rennlister's with other brands they love.

You really need to hear them to decide the sound you like.
You're thinking of the .2 cars. With the 3.8 it's not really an option to only change the cats. FVD has a good short tube setup and there are some others like Cargraphic that have longer tubes. The design and quality of a header matter significantly more than a cat back as the heat and abuse is substantially higher. Shorter tubes mean more low-mid, longer tubes mean more mid-top power. The header upgrade will not only increase the quality of the sound [slightly] but actually do something for performance; although not a significant change. Having a sport cat with lower cell count will actually make the lions share of the performance difference. FVD has a tune that is matched to their header which is nice too. We're not talking a huge amount of power but there is some gain - unlike a cat back which while worth it to many of us, does nothing for performance and is for noise only.

Trending Topics

Old 11-27-2018, 04:48 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Question - I have an aftermarket exhaust and installed the PSE button for factory functionality. In the iPE video, the valves seem to remain closed with the button turned to off. On my car it opens automatically no matter what at ~4K rpms. Is there a way to change this functionality to either on or off? I miss using the key fob sometimes and having this option.
With the iPE you will be able to either (a) keep it open at all times (b) keep it closed at all times or (c) open at the RPM range as the OEM unit does.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:08 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Which iPE exhaust system is on this car? To my ear that's the best sounding exhaust out of the dozen or so I've heard on videos. My C2S has PSE. I see it's the F1 but are the cats still on the car or does it have headers?

Old 11-27-2018, 05:19 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

And then there's this.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:24 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Which iPE exhaust system is on this car? To my ear that's the best sounding exhaust out of the dozen or so I've heard on videos. My C2S has PSE. I see it's the F1 but are the cats still on the car or does it have headers?

https://youtu.be/zTU364ihHxM
This car had the iPE F1 X-Pipe, F1 Valvetronic Muffler, & F1 Headers with Sport Cats.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:32 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Thanks, any videos with the the F1 x pipe and mufflers? I live in CA so I'm not going to change out the headers and cats.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:40 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Thanks, any videos with the the F1 x pipe and mufflers? I live in CA so I'm not going to change out the headers and cats.
I believe the video below is the iPE F1 X-Pipe + Muffler without any change to the Headers.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:55 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by WheelsB
With the iPE you will be able to either (a) keep it open at all times (b) keep it closed at all times or (c) open at the RPM range as the OEM unit does.
How do you get it to use the factory PSE button AND have it (a) & (b)?
Old 11-27-2018, 06:06 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by garfunkle
How do you get it to use the factory PSE button AND have it (a) & (b)?
It's all in the wiring that is included with the iPE exhausts. Some choose to not install the new wiring and just have the PSE button while others like the freedom to have an off, on, and automatic.

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket exhaust for the 991.1 GTS