mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks LexVan.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:34 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

If you read the quoted statement back in my first post #10, you'll see that hill hold only uses the parking brake after the car sits in hill hold for 5 minutes. For the first 5 minutes it just uses your normal brakes. So I'd guess that the parking brakes probably aren't your problem unless something was done wrong when the rotor was reinstalled, but then you'd hear it all of the time rather than just during hill hold.

That same quote also calls out that hill hold is performed by the PSM (Porsche stability management) system. I assume this is done since it already has the ability to apply brakes.

Where the brake pads you used OEM pads or aftermarket? Edited note: I'm not at all against aftermarket pads but on my 997.2 I had ill-fitting pads in the other direction... they wouldn't find into the caliper until I Dremeled off a couple of millimeters on the side due to poor stamping of the metal backing.

Last edited by StormRune; 11-30-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:45 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

One more thought: If the sound is coming from a little extra play in the pads, you should be able to hear the same sound you are hearing during hill hold by first backing the car and applying the brakes, then slowly rolling forward and applied the brakes again. This should push you pads back and forth to either side of the caliper and produce the same sound.

You could even do this with the wheel in the air (using a jack), applying the brakes after hand spinning the wheel backwards (car in neutral, be sure the wheels are chocked), then spinning the wheel forwards and applying the brakes again. That would allow you to get your eyes and ears right by the brakes as this occurs.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:46 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Also retorque your wheel bolts to 118 ft.lbs. To rule that out.

Quick Reply: Hill holder issue