Sponsored by:

Cyber Monday on Porsche services

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 06:24 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Cyber Monday on Porsche services

Just posting this in case someone this may benefit missed the email from Porsche. First of all, I'm not even sure who all this may be of value to. I know it could at least matter to owner's of 2018 & newer cars with the embedded SIM card for Connect Plus services. Anyway they are offering the Navigation & Infotainment Services at $99 for a year. That includes the internet connection to run all the services, and is currently priced at $189/year for the 911. This is the only way 2018 & newer cars can access these services (after the free first year). I'm guessing this sale indicates they are having a hard time getting people to re-up. I'm still on my free year, and likely wouldn't have renewed the service at $189. I don't use the services much, but I do really like the Google Earth maps, and also like the idea of the on-line map update for the regular nav map. I'll probably do it for the $99. YMMV.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Thank you for posting this sir.

I have a 2017 and cannot get any of the Porsche Connect services to work.. I'm even having registration problems and Porsche never replied back to me.. Weird.

How do I sign up for this and get the sim card?
Old 11-23-2018, 06:52 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Thank you for posting this sir.

I have a 2017 and cannot get any of the Porsche Connect services to work.. I'm even having registration problems and Porsche never replied back to me.. Weird.

How do I sign up for this and get the sim card?

I wish I could answer this question intelligently, but the 2017 model is different, and doesn't have the embedded SIM card. From reading on here, it seems the Porsche Connect Plus services rely on an external Wi-Fi internet source pre-2018. That could be the built-in hotspot using the plug-in SIM card, or actually using your phone's hotspot capability to access the services. I'm basing this on what I've read on here, but I am certain the embedded SIM solution only started in the 2018 model year. If you can get your phone to power those services, it won't require any subscription at all. At least I think that is true.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:31 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I like it for Google Maps and would renew it at that price. It would be four months early for me, though.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I like it for Google Maps and would renew it at that price. It would be four months early for me, though.
I'm sure it will be like any subscription service, and they will just add it on the end of your current subscription.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:56 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Apple Carplay is far superior to Porsche Connect
Old 11-23-2018, 09:03 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmmm! I didn't get a free first year?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:45 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I'm sure it will be like any subscription service, and they will just add it on the end of your current subscription.
Sold!
Old 11-23-2018, 11:53 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Just looked it up and it says “active contract” no way to select an additional one....maybe I will try again on Monday...
Old 11-24-2018, 08:58 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a 2019 TTS and a 2018 Macan neither offer Google Earth? I would get it just for that. Do you guys have Google Earth?
Eric
Old 11-24-2018, 10:09 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Just looked it up and it says “active contract” no way to select an additional one....maybe I will try again on Monday...
I had a similar result. Mine is already active through 8/1/2019 as evidenced by this text on the screen for the package after I log in to the site: "Active contract, until Aug 1, 2019"

However, if I select the button in the promotional email (after logging into the site), I get this message even though it seems to be popping up the same page (but the link was different): "The service package is not available. Please visit the Porsche Connect Store start page to obtain an overview of all available services.". I guess it will become available on Monday like you are suggesting, You'd think they'd present a more encouraging message like "Come back Monday for this special deal!" rather than making you feel like it was a mistake... or just make it available as soon as the emails went out.

I had considering renewing 9 months early to get the lower price figuring they'd tack it on at the end of the current term, but I guess they're not allowing that. ??

Originally Posted by ENCT
I have a 2019 TTS and a 2018 Macan neither offer Google Earth? I would get it just for that. Do you guys have Google Earth?
Eric
Google Earth is part of the "Navigation and Infotainment" package on the Porsche Connect site here: https://connect-store.porsche.com/us...nfotainment_v2

Here's a screenshot of it active on my 2017 C2S

Old 11-24-2018, 10:46 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Ours only comes up with 13 services, missing Google Earth? I may contact the dealer and see what's up.
Eric
Old 11-24-2018, 11:18 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
Apple Carplay is far superior to Porsche Connect
Agree and it is free and cost $0 to upgrade. With Waze now available on the PCM via Apple Car play, I don't even use my PCM Nav system anymore. Free real time traffic and all that other stuff too. In car Nav systems are obsolete and uneeded. The car manufacturers will figure it out soon enough. It's like Blockbuster video rentals.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:38 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

I’m a pretty tech savvy guy... but tried for two weeks back and forth with my SA... between the euro sign up process and the PIN’s etc... I gave up and just use Apple CarPlay.

The only service I’d love to pay for is the car location service - should anyone drive off with my car (tho I suspect any car savvy thief would know how to disable that.)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:59 AM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately for me, getting Apple CarPlay running on my vehicle represents at least a $20/month additional cost since I don't already have an iPhone on my AT&T family plan account. That is the price for the least expensive still available iPhone 8.

[Getting the phone independent of AT&T doesn't work in your favor as they have their account pricing rigged such that you pay a penalty (represented as a discount that you don't get) that is actually more expensive for not getting the phone from them - we discovered this back when we acquired iPhones for my wife and daughter, one purchased from Apple, one leased from AT&T, the latter was significantly cheaper over the lease period.]

Quick Reply: Cyber Monday on Porsche services