Sponsored by:

2015 C2, Mahogany Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:33 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts
Default 2015 C2, Mahogany Metallic

I'm new to the forum. I purchased a 2015 911 C2 in Fort Lauderdale, FL with 52k miles & drove it back to Houston in one long shot with my dad. It was a fun trip. I've put about 2000 miles on it in the last week and a half. It's got PDK, SC, and PSE, which were my must-have options when I was looking. I would have liked PASM, but to be honest, I don't miss it at this point. The car is Mahogany Metallic with 20" black Turbo wheels. It's got the standard sound, which I wanted - much easier upgrade path than with the Bose sound, if I wanted to upgrade. I thought I would (I've upgraded every car I've ever owned), but I'm surprisingly happy with the PCM 3.1 system. If I do upgrade, it'll probably just be the amp/speakers and not the PCM... which is not what I expected going into this at all.

I plan on daily driving this car, and enjoying every minute of it. It failed the stupid window tint testing when I got it back to Texas and did the inspection, so I have to get the side window tint changed from 15% to 25%. Other than that, the car is perfect & it puts a smile on my face every time I get in it. I'm looking for excuses to pick up my kids from school, or take my kids somewhere, or go to the store...

I looked at the S models, but in the end, I found myself having just as much fun driving the "base" car as I did any of the S models, and didn't see a need to spend the extra dough. I also started out looking for manuals, but the PDK just blows my socks off after demoing a bunch. I really like the standard seats, and I'm glad this car doesn't have the 18-way seats; they just frustrated me as I tried to get comfortable with the 10000000 combinations of positions. These are perfect, and simple. I was amazed that we averaged 30 miles a gallon driving on I-10 back to Houston, doing 80 MPH basically the whole way. This car is amazing. I'm also not sure if I would put Sport Chrono on my must-have list of options anymore, either... sport mode is more balanced for the street, and I tend to drive it in manual mode anyway when I'm having fun and not just cruising. Maybe my mind will change if I ever go do a HPD class with the local PCA club.

Here are a couple random, bad pictures. You should be able to click on them to get bigger ones, unless I screw up the BBcode or the IMGUR links. I'll do my best to get some more in the sunlight that really showcase the range of colors the Mohagany Metallic can show off... it can look purple, maroon, brown or black depending on lighting and time of day.

(edit: right-click & "open in new tab" for bigger images... I don't know what's going on with the BBcode links here...)

Name:  RU5ZLCOl.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  97.1 KB
Name:  5FYAP8rl.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  76.3 KB
Name:  zAlngRbl.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  75.1 KB
Name:  AlTH7scl.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  101.6 KB

Last edited by flgfish; 11-16-2018 at 01:36 AM. Reason: note about pics
Old 11-16-2018, 02:30 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Congrats! Love the color and the wood wheel. But it needs the wood trim too.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 AM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by evilfij
Congrats! Love the color and the wood wheel. But it needs the wood trim too.

The wood wheel is sharp. It feels good in the hands.

There are some things about the option package I can't explain. Why the heated steering wheel, but not heated nor ventilated seats?
The car also has Homelink & the PCM, which in the brochure are optional items, but they're not upcharge items on the window sticker, and they aren't listed on the build sheet. The prices match, though.

edit: I just looked @ Suncoast, and apparently you can get aftermarket wood trim... huh!

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AA2A...96FS106086.pdf

Last edited by flgfish; 11-28-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelin
Old 11-16-2018, 03:10 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

There is no such thing as a wood wheel that is not heated so they probably liked the wheel and did not need the heating function, but being someplace hot (was sold new at suncoast in Sarasota) did not want to spring for the heated seats too. Also, the wood trim was (and is) megabucks on the option sheet so that’s probably why they skipped that, especially on a base interior. The wheel adds a lot of pop and the extra cost is comparably less than the trim. Occasionally the wood trim comes up for sale used, I passed on one set because apparently 991.1 is different than 991.2 and I need the latter.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:19 AM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by evilfij
There is no such thing as a wood wheel that is not heated so they probably liked the wheel and did not need the heating function, but being someplace hot (was sold new at suncoast in Sarasota) did not want to spring for the heated seats too. Also, the wood trim was (and is) megabucks on the option sheet so that’s probably why they skipped that, especially on a base interior. The wheel adds a lot of pop and the extra cost is comparably less than the trim. Occasionally the wood trim comes up for sale used, I passed on one set because apparently 991.1 is different than 991.2 and I need the latter.
That makes sense.

So were PCM and Homelink standard options in 2015? They look like upcharge options in the 2015 brochure PDF I found online.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:24 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I don’t know. Sorry.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:58 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default PASM

Isn't PASM part of the SC package ? Did you mean SPASM which I just realized spells a scrabble word.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! As a fellow owner of a Mahogany Brown Metallic 991, I agree that the color is very unique. It’s different from almost every other 911 that you’ll see on the road, but it looks very classy.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 AM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Isn't PASM part of the SC package ? Did you mean SPASM which I just realized spells a scrabble word.
No. PASM is standard on S models but a ~$3k option on the base model. SPASM is another step up from that.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:09 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This guy has done his homework and knows his stuff!

Good on you and congrats on the new car!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:05 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Beautiful car !!! Congratulations. One suggestion... Add the paddles and it will transform your car by notches. I have done on both the PDK cars (my old 2011 4S and the Targa 4S I now have) and it is the best money you can spend. Check out my post (#14) in the thread below. You can keep your beautiful steering wheel as it really completes the interior and I would not think that you would want to remove it, but the paddles are a MUST !

Steering Wheel Thread
Old 11-16-2018, 11:12 AM
flgfish
Pro

Originally Posted by shammerman
Beautiful car !!! Congratulations. One suggestion... Add the paddles and it will transform your car by notches. I have done on both the PDK cars (my old 2011 4S and the Targa 4S I now have) and it is the best money you can spend. Check out my post (#14) in the thread below. You can keep your beautiful steering wheel as it really completes the interior and I would not think that you would want to remove it, but the paddles are a MUST !

Steering Wheel Thread
Thanks for the link!

edit: So I'm checking out the TechArt paddles, and I don't get how they work. I don't see any install instructions. Do they just mount to the back of the OEM wheel buttons? Is there any software needed to be changed? The OEM wheel gear shifters go down when pulled and up when pushed... and it looks like on both sides, the TechArt paddles just "pull"... so won't both sides just shift down? I'm sure I'm missing something here...
Old 11-16-2018, 01:33 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Love the color....I have the same on my Macan S.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:17 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Welcome fellow third coaster!

I did a similar "pick up and drive home" to yours (link in my signature) 2 years ago. Mine was from NC to Houston, and it was with my best friend from College. Great trip!

Definitely join the LSR PCA and hope you come to some of the events. It's a great chapter, fantastic people and events all year around from cruises to Saturday GTG's for coffee to HPDE to socials, you name it. There is at least one GTG every Saturday, sometimes two, depends on what part of town you're in or want to go to. I did the Bluebonnet run last spring and it was great. Everything is on the LSRPCA website or the Facebook page, which is very active. What part of town are you in?

Great looking car. I love Mahogany on the 911. Such an understated but cool color.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:20 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
Thanks for the link!

edit: So I'm checking out the TechArt paddles, and I don't get how they work. I don't see any install instructions. Do they just mount to the back of the OEM wheel buttons? Is there any software needed to be changed? The OEM wheel gear shifters go down when pulled and up when pushed... and it looks like on both sides, the TechArt paddles just "pull"... so won't both sides just shift down? I'm sure I'm missing something here...
The right paddle (+) is upshift and the left (-) is downshift. The new paddle assembly actually also replaces the "old" push buttons with a dummy so you will not have the use of those anymore. If you pull both paddles simultaneously, the transmission will go into neutral. Please see the attached installation instructions. (I had my dealer install).
Attached Images

Quick Reply: 2015 C2, Mahogany Metallic