Sponsored by:

Help me pick my first porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:52 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Help me pick my first porsche

I've been lurking on the forums for a while (and dreaming of a porsche for longer) and now am in a position to buy my first Porsche. I wanted to get thoughts on my options.

First, here's a little about what I intend to use it for. It'll technically be a daily driver, but I pretty much only drive to the office, which is close by. I also travel a fair amount for work, so I only end up putting about 7k miles per year on my cars. With this purchase, I'd like to get into track driving as a hobby.

My budget: Preferably under $50,000, but I can go up to 55-60 if I really needed to.

Options:
1) 997.2 c2s with around 30-40k miles. I've seen quite a few in the market for around $45-50k. Here's one I am considering.
2) 991.1 c2s with around 60-70k miles. I've seen a few for around $55k. Here is an example I am considering https://bit.ly/2zUYmb7
3) 991.1 base carrera with around 30k miles. I've seen a few for around $50-55k.

My initial inclination is to go with the 997.2. While the base 991 seems comparable in performance to the 997 c2s, I think the stiffer ride from the PASM in the 997 would be better for the track. And I'm worried about the miles on the 991 c2s.

Am I overestimating the mileage issue on the 991 c2s? Would a base 991 Carrera be sufficient for getting into track driving?

thanks!

Last edited by Rmag911; 11-15-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

My vote would be for the 991 C2, but with SC. These cars are great for the street, track or spirited driving. My guess is that after purchasing your 1st 911, you will want to upgrade. The C2 is a great first step. I think I am qualified to speak as I had a 2014 and 2016. I can't recommend this car enough. It thrives above 4.5k and will not be overwhelmed by any car in its class.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Any sense in waiting until the 992 comes out in hopes of 991 c2s prices dropping?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:13 AM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rmag911
I've been lurking on the forums for a while (and dreaming of a porsche for longer) and now am in a position to buy my first Porsche. I wanted to get thoughts on my options.

First, here's a little about what I intend to use it for. It'll technically be a daily driver, but I pretty much only drive to the office, which is close by. I also travel a fair amount for work, so I only end up putting about 7k miles per year on my cars. With this purchase, I'd like to get into track driving as a hobby.

My budget: Preferably under $50,000, but I can go up to 55-60 if I really needed to.

Options:
1) 997.2 c2s with around 30-40k miles. I've seen quite a few in the market for around $45-50k. Here's one I am considering. https://www.baroccimotorgroup.com/in...sche-911/49541
2) 991.1 c2s with around 60-70k miles. I've seen a few for around $55k. Here is an example I am considering https://bit.ly/2zUYmb7
3) 991.1 base carrera with around 30k miles. I've seen a few for around $50-55k.

My initial inclination is to go with the 997.2. While the base 991 seems comparable in performance to the 997 c2s, I think the stiffer ride from the PASM in the 997 would be better for the track. And I'm worried about the miles on the 991 c2s.

Am I overestimating the mileage issue on the 991 c2s? Would a base 991 Carrera be sufficient for getting into track driving?

thanks!
Try a Cayman or a Boxter they cant be beat in the Price/Fun department... Perfect way to start out into the brand
Old 11-15-2018, 11:24 AM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you driven both the 997 and 991? If you haven’t you need to. They are very different cars! I had a 997 4S and then got a 991 C2S. If you decide on a 991 go to “ hot for sale” stickie thread. Great education on 991 with lots of great deals. If you go for 997, go to the 997 threads to look. Have fun and good luck. A lot of choices......MT or PDK? Drive both!
Old 11-15-2018, 01:02 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kahane18
Try a Cayman or a Boxter they cant be beat in the Price/Fun department... Perfect way to start out into the brand
^ This
I would say either a Cayman GTS (used of course) or the 718S

Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by kahane18
Originally Posted by vodkag
^ This
I would say either a Cayman GTS (used of course) or the 718S
This —^ X 981

You should be able to find a great 981 well-within your budget and then have money left over for a pallet of brake pads, rotors, fluid and track tires/wheels.

A 997<whatever> will be faster than a 981/718. But you learn a lot more when you drive a slow(er) car fast.

And, if you get it sticky-side up, its a smaller write-off.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Wrong Cars

The proposed purchase price may indicate you have not considered the disposable income necessary to track a Porsche. Go to a PCA club track event and talk to some of the people there who track their Porsche's and try to get an idea of how much they spend yearly on say 5 or 6 track days. Put together a spreadsheet that represents those cost including the necessary equipment (HANS, helmet, suit, etc etc). Contact your local Porsche club to find out when the next event is (you can probably find them on FB). From an income level perspective I would say you need at least 350K a year in income to track a Porsche without it killing your budget for other things. An alternative might be to get a Miata and try tracking that to get your feet wet in relation to cost and the experience. Brakes and tires are $$$ on these cars and you run through them on the track (as well as other way more expensive parts). As a daily driver the 997 is not comparable as the 991 is far superior. As others have said test drive both as well as MT vs PDK. For me the sports chrono "SC" package is a must and the S level or higher is the right amount of HP for a sports car. I would always take a low mileage car over high mileage if you want dependable daily transportation.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:13 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
The proposed purchase price may indicate you have not considered the disposable income necessary to track a Porsche. Go to a PCA club track event and talk to some of the people there who track their Porsche's and try to get an idea of how much they spend yearly on say 5 or 6 track days. Put together a spreadsheet that represents those cost including the necessary equipment (HANS, helmet, suit, etc etc). Contact your local Porsche club to find out when the next event is (you can probably find them on FB). From an income level perspective I would say you need at least 350K a year in income to track a Porsche without it killing your budget for other things. An alternative might be to get a Miata and try tracking that to get your feet wet in relation to cost and the experience. Brakes and tires are $$$ on these cars and you run through them on the track (as well as other way more expensive parts). As a daily driver the 997 is not comparable as the 991 is far superior. As others have said test drive both as well as MT vs PDK. For me the sports chrono "SC" package is a must and the S level or higher is the right amount of HP for a sports car. I would always take a low mileage car over high mileage if you want dependable daily transportation.
I think that's based on if you track the car monthly, and doing club racing......I hit the track probably 2-3 times a year and the car is not my DD, I dont have a full suit, since is not required for HPDE ( i do have a helmet) I go through a set of front brakes every 2 years or so. (about 4 track days) and tires about the same (4 track days)

Yes if you are going monthly or every other month....it does get very expensive quickly......but i doubt OP is talking about that level of tracking
Old 11-15-2018, 02:15 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
The proposed purchase price may indicate you have not considered the disposable income necessary to track a Porsche. Go to a PCA club track event and talk to some of the people there who track their Porsche's and try to get and idea of how much they spend yearly on say 5 or 6 track days. Put together a spreadsheet that represents those cost including the necessary equipment (HANS, helmet, suit, etc etc). Contact your local Porsche club to find out when the next event is (you can probably find them on FB). From an income level perspective I would say you need at least 350K a year in income to track a Porsche without it killing your budget for other things. An alternative might be to get a Miata and try tracking that to get your feet wet in relation to cost and the experience. Brakes and tires are $$$ on these cars and you run through them on the track (as well as other way more expensive parts). As a daily driver the 997 is not comparable as the 991 is far superior. As others have said test drive both as well as MT vs PDK. For me the sports chrono "SC" package is a must and the S level or higher is the right amount of HP for a sports car. I would always take a low mileage car over high mileage if you want dependable daily transportation.
Thanks for the info. As additional background, my income exceeds the amount referenced (though I'm relatively young, so it's only recently eclipsed that mark). I like to make big purchases with bonuses and just save/live off base compensation. And I try to save a certain amount of my annual bonus, so I am using the remainder of the bonus to purchase the car this year. I plan on using the excess from next year's bonus to fully invest in track racing.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:17 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

I think that's based on if you track the car monthly, and doing club racing......I hit the track probably 2-3 times a year and the car is not my DD, I dont have a full suit, since is not required for HPDE ( i do have a helmet) I go through a set of front brakes every 2 years or so. (about 4 track days) and tires about the same (4 track days)

Yes if you are going monthly or every other month....it does get very expensive quickly......but i doubt OP is talking about that level of tracking
Exactly. a few times a year initially and then more frequently in the upcoming years.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:54 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Track expenses are cut by roughly 50% if you can do your own brakes (flush and pad/rotor changes.)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:02 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

if you really want a track car, then the Cayman is def a better choice IMO (better bang for your money) I feel that the mid engine cars are a bit more better balanced and behave better on the track. That's my experience with the 987.2 with 10+ days at 3 different tracks.

Yes the cost is also less if you do all the maintenance yourself (as always)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:05 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

if you really want a track car, then the Cayman is def a better choice IMO (better bang for your money) I feel that the mid engine cars are a bit more better balanced and behave better on the track. That's my experience with the 987.2 with 10+ days at 3 different tracks.

Yes the cost is also less if you do all the maintenance yourself (as always)
I've definitely heard that from quite a few people. But I intend to use this car as mostly a DD (and need the additional space of the 911) with some track time. In the future, I would definitely like to have a dedicated cayman track car.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 PM
WestlakeHorn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who has really started to autocross and track cars in the last few years, I agree that the best way to learn is to buy a slower car and learn to drive it fast — early generation Cayman is a good choice. It may be sacrilege on this forum, but I think your best bet is a second generation (NB) Miata. Leave the 911 at home until you learn how to drive well. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my first porsche