Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug n play door speakers for standard audio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:39 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

You are mistaken. Those two wires connect to a plug and the plug is still plugged into the speaker. Imagine those two wires were coming out of the factory wire harness and the end has a plug on it. That plug just plugs into the speaker. The installer actually cut my plug off of the harness. Your harness will not be cut and will have the plug and all it needs to do is plug into the speaker at that point. No soldering no splicing. I need to take a pic of the plug removed from the speaker to show it better.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Ok so these bose speakers were all modified to accept the factory plugs? The whole set?
Old 11-12-2018, 02:05 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

No the speakers are not modified and have not been modified. Bose makes them for Porsche to accept the factory connector. This is a Bose speaker made for Porsche that will allow the factory harness to plug right in.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:27 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default okay plug and play ?

So kn theory I can just buy burmeister or Bose speakers and plug them in...seems like a cheap upgrade worth doing

What are the bose part numbers ?
Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

They sell them on Suncoast, I also have a complete Bose system I removed to go aftermarket that I would sell.
In theory, its more than just the speakers. Both systems also change the amps and the car gets properly tuned for audio in the settings.
Changing the speakers alone will be an improvement over base, thats for sure..
Old 11-13-2018, 08:29 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Pics and prices. You can see the plug on the speaker clearly here. This plug is the female side and the wiring harness is the male. You unplug the factory speaker and then plug it into this plug. No soldering or splicing, no need for adapters. Thats what plug and play is. Just plug it in and the speakers will play. 2 door woofers is $224, 2 dash tweeters is $84 and 2 door mid range is $124. Total of $432 plus another $20 for shipping and for $450 you have Bose speakers in doors and tweeters that just plug right in..

Old 11-13-2018, 08:33 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

How much for your door speakers? 224+124 =348 from suncoast
Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Pics and prices. You can see the plug on the speaker clearly here. This plug is the female side and the wiring harness is the male. You unplug the factory speaker and then plug it into this plug. No soldering or splicing, no need for adapters. Thats what plug and play is. Just plug it in and the speakers will play. 2 door woofers is $224, 2 dash tweeters is $84 and 2 door mid range is $124. Total of $432 plus another $20 for shipping and for $450 you have Bose speakers in doors and tweeters that just plug right in..

There is something to be said for just sticking to OEM and this is actually pretty cheap for a 3 way speaker setup.

Alternatively... they just happen to suck. If you're in there you can get substantially better options; but require some minor splicing which is really not a big deal at all. This only matters if you're chasing better sound and not OEM.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

For simple installation, low cost and guaranteed compatibility with no custom brackets, splicing or soldering, its about the least expensive way to go to improve on base system..
Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Sorry I'm a little late to the party here, but allow me to shed some light.

The connections between the base system and the Bose are identical and should be directly interchangeable. That said, I wouldn't expect a dramatic improvement in the sound going from one to the next. The amplifier accounts for a good amount of the audible change, and upgrading to slightly less mediocre speakers is likely to be a marginal improvement. The best approach would actually be replacing the tweeters with either the Burmester or Musicar version and then replacing the stock amplifier with a better performing version. There are no fiber optics in that system so it's not as daunting of a process as the Bose and Burmester cars.

We have a couple upgrades in developmental stages for the 991.2 that will replace the amplifier and the door speakers, but we're probably looking at end of the year before they're ready for pre-sale.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick

The connections between the base system and the Bose are identical and should be directly interchangeable. That said, I wouldn't expect a dramatic improvement in the sound going from one to the next. The amplifier accounts for a good amount of the audible change, and upgrading to slightly less mediocre speakers is likely to be a marginal improvement. The best approach would actually be replacing the tweeters with either the Burmester or Musicar version and then replacing the stock amplifier with a better performing version. There are no fiber optics in that system so it's not as daunting of a process as the Bose and Burmester cars.

We have a couple upgrades in developmental stages for the 991.2 that will replace the amplifier and the door speakers, but we're probably looking at end of the year before they're ready for pre-sale.
Will the upgrade work on the 991.1 series as well?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Thanks Nick, are the door speakers going to be plug and play for the stock (sound system plus) system?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:59 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Will the upgrade work on the 991.1 series as well?
We already have that system available for the 991.1 with Sound Package Plus, but unfortunately it won't be available for the Bose or Burmester cars. The fiber-optics protocol in the 991.1 is problematic compared to the .2 platform. We're going to be working on that in the future, but nothing solid as of this moment.

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Thanks Nick, are the door speakers going to be plug and play for the stock (sound system plus) system?
Everything we provide is bolt-in/plug-n-play – the goal with our development is zero cutting, drilling, or splicing. 100% reversible retrofit.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:53 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default PM'D

PM'D

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
They sell them on Suncoast, I also have a complete Bose system I removed to go aftermarket that I would sell.
In theory, its more than just the speakers. Both systems also change the amps and the car gets properly tuned for audio in the settings.
Changing the speakers alone will be an improvement over base, thats for sure..
Old 12-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Hokidachi
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Nick, do you have an update on those upgrades?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Plug n play door speakers for standard audio?