Sponsored by:

Giving Dealer Spec for first Porsche in the Morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by drive95
I think the updated build is better. Good choice removing the leather interior and going with PDCC/RAS. Also, I like the idea of Front Axle Lift, personally, as I have to park in the garage across the street from where I live due to the angle of the exit of the garage where I live, lol...

Here's how I would configure a car along the lines of yours, a bit cheaper at $137k: http://www.porsche-code.com/PK5SB850

GT Silver is, perhaps, my favorite color. Congrats!
Thanks. Love your build and it reminded me to add the voice control option to mine. Seems like a no-brainer given it's a no-cost change.

Only substantial difference is me choosing the 18-way seats. I've been physically active my whole life and have resultant lower back issues, so lumbar support is pretty important for me ('cause, as my kids like to tell me, I'm soft and a wuss).

You prefer the leather wheel to the alcantara one? Any particular reason? I've never had an alcantara wheel, so wouldn't know the difference and didn't realize notice it was a no-cost change as well.

Also, I was thinking about the smoking package as it adds a cover over the storage hole. But how deep is the ashtray? I don't smoke and won't let anybody smoke in this car. So I figure it would add a third power outlet (if I'm not mistaken, there are 2 already, 1 in the glove-box, 1 along the inside of the passenger side footwell, just ahead of the center console). But I also worried that it would not provide much storage space if the ash-tray is too shallow.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:57 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I've gone over speed bumps with my GTS and havn't had a problem. However, if you have that steep of a driveway then it might be a requirement. It's additional complexity to the front suspension struts and is an expense that could be spent somewhere else.
Understood. I would prefer not to get it. But I think I have to to avoid scraping up the front lip. Or worse.

I may go to a dealer and take measurements, measure my MS3 (which is about 1.5" lower than stock), and do the geometry. That would at least give me a good way to gauge the necessity.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:01 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
Thanks. Love your build and it reminded me to add the voice control option to mine. Seems like a no-brainer given it's a no-cost change.

Only substantial difference is me choosing the 18-way seats. I've been physically active my whole life and have resultant lower back issues, so lumbar support is pretty important for me ('cause, as my kids like to tell me, I'm soft and a wuss).

You prefer the leather wheel to the alcantara one? Any particular reason? I've never had an alcantara wheel, so wouldn't know the difference and didn't realize notice it was a no-cost change as well.

Also, I was thinking about the smoking package as it adds a cover over the storage hole. But how deep is the ashtray? I don't smoke and won't let anybody smoke in this car. So I figure it would add a third power outlet (if I'm not mistaken, there are 2 already, 1 in the glove-box, 1 along the inside of the passenger side footwell, just ahead of the center console). But I also worried that it would not provide much storage space if the ash-tray is too shallow.
I like my 18 way seats so that's a good choice. I have tracked my GTS and the seats provide good lateral support.
The Alcantara does wear much faster than the leather as the oils on the hand tend to smooth it out. Alcantara just needs more maintenance. I believe you are deleting the Alcantara in the seats so just get the leather wheel.
Smoking package does add another power outlet which I use for the battery tender and phone charger. The cover provides a cleaner look to the center console.

Another free option is the passenger side cargo net storage.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:15 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I like my 18 way seats so that's a good choice. I have tracked my GTS and the seats provide good lateral support.
The Alcantara does wear much faster than the leather as the oils on the hand tend to smooth it out. Alcantara just needs more maintenance. I believe you are deleting the Alcantara in the seats so just get the leather wheel.
Smoking package does add another power outlet which I use for the battery tender and phone charger. The cover provides a cleaner look to the center console.

Another free option is the passenger side cargo net storage.
Gotcha. Thanks, again.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:37 PM
P4H
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What matters most is your use case and taste preferences. Here are some thoughts based on my experience with the car:
- I don’t miss the sunroof at all. However, since you like having one as you stated, I would consider the sunroof in metal.
- I have the 14-way seats. I would go with the 4-way sports seats if I had to do it again, but this depends on your body type.
- I have the Bose, but will skip it next time.
- Love the full leather, it makes the interior a much nicer place to be.

The wait will suck, but you will love the car!
Old 11-07-2018, 05:27 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P4H
What matters most is your use case and taste preferences. Here are some thoughts based on my experience with the car:
- I don’t miss the sunroof at all. However, since you like having one as you stated, I would consider the sunroof in metal.
- I have the 14-way seats. I would go with the 4-way sports seats if I had to do it again, but this depends on your body type.
- I have the Bose, but will skip it next time.
- Love the full leather, it makes the interior a much nicer place to be.

The wait will suck, but you will love the car!
Thanks. Will be a long wait, but looking forward to it.

Only way for me to get the 14-way seats would be to switch to leather interior which is a combined $5000 upgrade, well, a bit less because I'm getting the 18-way ones without switching to leather. I see so many people doing that switch, I'd probably make it myself. But I'm at my budget cap already and don't want to trade away anything to get the full leather interior.

I'm curious why you won't do the Bose upgrade again?
Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 PM
P4H
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mainly because the cabin is noisy at speed and it’s hard to tell the difference.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:14 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

1. GT Silver for the win, black wheels too. Yum.
  2. I have no idea what non-BOSE sounds like, but I'd think it is cheap insurance. That said, I rarely find the on switch - because I like listening to the car.
  3. I'd do FAL - my front end is higher than yours, and I am always concerned and get some scraping.
  4. Mostly because the controls are opposite of my Audi's... but also because I don't like to accidentally hit all those buttons on the steering wheel - I wouldn't bother with the upgrade to a Multi-function Steering Wheel. Just me.
  5. If it were me, I'd put some color in the cockpit/inside.... It's a little dark/black. (Sunroof or not.)
Fun times. No matter what, you are going to love it.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P4H
Mainly because the cabin is noisy at speed and it’s hard to tell the difference.
That's a very good point.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:32 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
  1. GT Silver for the win, black wheels too. Yum.
  2. I have no idea what non-BOSE sounds like, but I'd think it is cheap insurance. That said, I rarely find the on switch - because I like listening to the car.
  3. I'd do FAL - my front end is higher than yours, and I am always concerned and get some scraping.
  4. Mostly because the controls are opposite of my Audi's... but also because I don't like to accidentally hit all those buttons on the steering wheel - I wouldn't bother with the upgrade to a Multi-function Steering Wheel. Just me.
  5. If it were me, I'd put some color in the cockpit/inside.... It's a little dark/black. (Sunroof or not.)
Fun times. No matter what, you are going to love it.
Good point about the lack of color. I've considered different color seat-belts. I might add that to the spec. Or something along those lines. Even a little bit of color would raise the interior excitement level.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
Good point about the lack of color. I've considered different color seat-belts. I might add that to the spec. Or something along those lines. Even a little bit of color would raise the interior excitement level.
You can add color with gauges, seat belts, and interior trim.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on your soon to be new Porsche. I am sure you will love it. The more you drive it, the better it gets.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:39 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You can add color with gauges, seat belts, and interior trim.
Understood.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:46 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would get leather to get rid of alcantara and skip PDCC. But I hate alcantara also not a fan of colored belts, deviated stitching etc.

I would also get the free shift **** in brushed aluminium. It’s much nicer than the normal one.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:47 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Copperhead37
Congrats on your soon to be new Porsche. I am sure you will love it. The more you drive it, the better it gets.
Thank you. The paperwork I got earlier tonight says estimated arrival at dealership is 3/29/19. Will be a long wait. But a fun and exciting wait.

In the meantime, I'm going to do some cleanup and updating of my detached two car garage in the meantime. Gotta make a garage that's worthy of the car.

Quick Reply: Giving Dealer Spec for first Porsche in the Morning