Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convinced Porsches are crap, and dealer service even worse.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 04:17 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
It WAS the Porsche rep that was on speaker phone with the Rusnak General Manager and Service Manager. That's the point. The apparent ease that all three of them had in telling me an absolute lie.

Rusnak lied a total of 3 times during this debacle and 1 instance of extreme "puffing" by saying the transmission is 100% new inside while Porsche documents show they re-use as much as possible (as long as the parts are within spec.) That of course could mean 100 miles away from being out of spec.

What's obvious to me is that a company that is supposedly a high end brand,and their dealer, behave like a East Los Angeles dirtbag used car lot.
man, what crap.
I would still tow it to another dealer- just to get the process started anew. My overall experience is if a relationship or a transaction has this many bad issues not in your control, it's worth it to start over with different people.
Sucks it is such a time drain.

Really think it is the dealership, because the SA can really push for you or be against you depending on the relationship.

I had a C63 and it had an easy rear sunshade rattle to fix and the dealer told me, "rattles are not covered under warranty"
The most consistent, great service experience, I have had with a make is Lexus for my wife's car, but too bad I don't like any of their cars. Such is life.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:36 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Let the dealer fix the car and trade for another brand and trade it for another brand.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:01 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 531 Posts

if a repair is covered under warranty, the dealer has no say reference transmission choice. So in regard to refurbished transmission, your beef is with Porsche not the dealer
so taking the car to another dealer will not change anything
Old 11-09-2018, 05:30 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Too bad PCNA is not solving the problem & appears to be going along with the dealer by agreeing with the lie that new transmissions are not available anywhere.

This dealer's service department cannot be trusted.

I would get the car to another dealer & see how close you are to using the lemon law to get fair compensation for your car & just end your relationship with Porsche.

Your main complaint is the transmission & failed 1st attempt at repair.

Do not continue to complain about them parking your car in the sun, failing to use your sun shield. (IMO, this dilutes your legitimate main complaint)

Also mention that the dealer "lost" your car for days. Get a letter from the towing company, proving exactly when your car was delivered to the dealer. I assume they document delivery/drop off so they cannot be accused of stealing cars!

Porsche does not seem to be trying to do anything for you.

Can Porsche prove that they are not required, by law, to use a new transmission? Are they allowed, by law, to use refurbished, rebuild parts? I recall reading the fine print in warranties for some electronics that the company can, at their discretion, do just that. I think the same is true for some car insurance. If you need a new bumper, they can force you to accept a repainted one from a salvage yard.

If you decide to compromise, for whatever reason, try to get an extended warranty on the transmission.

What a nightmare.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:35 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Check with your state Attorney General or local consumer protection agency for information about your warranty rights.

https://www.usa.gov/consumer-complaints

http://www.naag.org
Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
I don't think anyone gets a "new" transmission when it gets replaced, unfortunately. They should, but I'm guessing they are all rebuilt, even if the dealer calls it new. This is just one reason I would never own one of these cars without a warranty.
If the transmission is properly rebuilt (new clutches, steels, solenoids, etc) then it's just as good as new. Other than the case being reused not any difference between that and a "new" transmission.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by fastforddriver
If the transmission is properly rebuilt (new clutches, steels, solenoids, etc) then it's just as good as new. Other than the case being reused not any difference between that and a "new" transmission.
I agree 100% but I based on all off the other crap that the OP has had to deal with I can see why he is so upset.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Did you ever call PCNA?

Why not have the car towed to another dealer, that is not horrible, as you & others have said this one is?
The extra drive time will be worth it to not be lied to & have incompetent people fixing your car.

Maybe you can get PCNA to pay for the tow?

Also you can check into the CA lemon law so, you will be ready as soon as your situation qualifies.

Good luck.
30 days in the shop would probably qualify for a re-purchase without having to meet the 4 failed repair attempts requirement. Did the OP take initial retail delivery in CA from a CA dealer?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:52 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fastforddriver
Yes, and I bet that is what most owners have received when they got a replacement PDK. It's like re-manufactured engines. Many people say they received a brand new engine when in fact, it's almost always a re-manufactured engine. Do you really think Porsche just trashes those PDK transmissions that they remove from cars under warranty? Probably not, especially those that just require a minor repair. They(most likely the PDK manufacturer) make the repair, inspect the transmission and repair/refurbish any needed parts, and put them on the shelf for replacements.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 11-10-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

In a previous 996 TT I had the "pop out of 2nd gear issue" which plagued some 996 TT cars. Porsche flew a tranny in and I was back on the road in less than a week. I got a new warranty on the tranny and the cars was rock solid for the years I owned it.
My experience with Porsche even when having a serious problem has been top notch. Sorry to hear the OP is having this issue. My dealer and GM at that time was 1st Class.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:58 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased a high end amplifier from Upscale Audio probably 15 years ago and when I had an issue with it he took care of it as if I was his only highly-coveted customer. It is not a surprise that he would like to be treated in kind when his high end car needed repair.

The problem with Rusnak is that they are so big they treat Porsches as if they are just another Chevy Malibu. I had an issue with their buyer when negotiating a trade-in. He flat out told me that "He writes the checks around here". I told him that actually I write the check and without people like me he wouldn't have anything in his account. I left and never went back but did buy my GT3; a newer, better car for $15K less; at their local competitor.

I wish you luck Kevin.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I purchased a high end amplifier from Upscale Audio probably 15 years ago and when I had an issue with it he took care of it as if I was his only highly-coveted customer. It is not a surprise that he would like to be treated in kind when his high end car needed repair.

The problem with Rusnak is that they are so big they treat Porsches as if they are just another Chevy Malibu. I had an issue with their buyer when negotiating a trade-in. He flat out told me that "He writes the checks around here". I told him that actually I write the check and without people like me he wouldn't have anything in his account. I left and never went back but did buy my GT3; a newer, better car for $15K less; at their local competitor.

I wish you luck Kevin.
Thanks! Man good thing we jumped on your repair! I just hired a new tech. He gets paid MORE than most of my employees including the salespeople. Service and sales are not on commission. It's not in the the customer's best interest.

I try to remember that we have to be the fun house. And I love audio. Hobbies like high end audio, cars, and motorcycles are supposed to be fun places. I have to tell people things they don't want to hear sometimes. But I don't lie about it. And if one of my employees makes a mistake I own it. I've learned people LOVE it when you do that and clearly say "I'm so sorry. There is no excuse for this". And mean it.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:38 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks! Man good thing we jumped on your repair! I just hired a new tech. He gets paid MORE than most of my employees including the salespeople. Service and sales are not on commission. It's not in the the customer's best interest.

I try to remember that we have to be the fun house. And I love audio. Hobbies like high end audio, cars, and motorcycles are supposed to be fun places. I have to tell people things they don't want to hear sometimes. But I don't lie about it. And if one of my employees makes a mistake I own it. I've learned people LOVE it when you do that and clearly say "I'm so sorry. There is no excuse for this". And mean it.
Well you are a good salesman yourself. I went in with a $3000 dollar budget and walked out with a $6000 amp which I still have and use everyday. The only reason I could afford a GT3 is because I avoided the temptation to return to Upscale Audio!
Old 11-11-2018, 01:47 PM
ericmeds
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My bumper wouldn’t easily snap back on today when doings air filters. Car was serviced once and of course they broke multiple clips, mangled filters etc.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

On Monday August 13th I called Porsche Roadside Assistance for a tow after finding an oil puddle under my in-warranty 911 GTS. Porsche suggested towing it to Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena as the closest dealer. Many years ago I had another 911 serviced there, and while in for service it got scratched, leaving me uneasy that they don’t pay proper attention to customers’ cars.

My first problem was the tow. I scheduled it for 8am Tuesday. The driver showed up at my home at 12:45am, waking my wife and scaring her half to death as she was alone (I was out of town, returning that morning). I called Porsche again, and had the car picked up at 8am and let them know clearly they screwed up. Not a Rusnak problem. But still…

To make sure there was no misunderstanding about the condition of my car and the problems needing correction (I also have de-laminating headlights), I typed a letter and tipped the tow truck driver $20 to give it to the employee checking in my car. I wanted CLARITY that my car has NO damage when they took control of it.

I called Rusnaks service department Tuesday afternoon to confirm receipt of my car and its condition. No call back. I then called Wednesday. No call back. Then Thursday. No response. I called Friday, and FINALLY a woman named Chleo called me back and said they found my car. What???? At this point I’m pissed. Am I going to have a repeat of the last Rusnak disaster? My car has a ton of carbon fiber, and I know for fact that Porsche carbon will warp if left in direct sunlight. It happened with the last 911 I had. I called Chleo back, told her I was pissed, and told her CLEARLY to make sure my car is not left outside. She promised to take care of that.

On Saturday I began thinking “These people don’t give a sh*t about customer cars” and decided to make the 2 hour round trip drive to make sure it was parked inside in these near-record hot temperatures. There it was. Not only outside, it was parked in the only spot with no shade. My front window sunshade stored wasn’t even used. I asked for the General Manager and told him of my displeasure. He first apologized but then made the dumbest comment ever saying “Not to take the side of service but the tow truck driver just dropped it off.” WHAT???? Now you are blaming the tow truck driver? How about all my ignored phone calls? Doesn’t ANYBODY here take responsibility?

You want to take your car here? If so cover your *** and take pictures or a video of it, and be ready for lack of attention and poor communication. I own and have owned a lot of cars and you would THINK that Porsche being a premium brand would have premium service. No true at Rusnak.

UPDATE 1

My car was in service for 30 days for no reason except they could not order the correct parts. I’ll spare you the gory details of mistakes over and over and promises broken. During that time I was told TWICE my car was going to be delivered “this afternoon” and arranged to leave work early to receive it, only to be told they had gotten the wrong parts AGAIN. A month gone. Though they did park it inside for the last 3 weeks it was there, a bunch of junk got into the paint and I sure as hell was not going to let THEIR detailer touch it. I’ll pay mine $180 to do it right.

Update 2

When I got the car back, I noted the illuminated entry doorjam light was out. I was not about to take a chance and give it back to Rusnak, so decided to wait. Well I didn’t have to wait long. Drove the car a couple times, and on 10/31 I was greeted by another puddle of oil that caused all of this in the first place.

Update 3

It’s been a week. They changed the lower transmission pan and gasket I assume, and it still leaks. Found out today my transmission is “leaking internally” whatever that means. They want to replace the transmission with a factory rebuilt one. I say no. The car has 10K miles on it. Would YOU take one????

I’ve always known Porsches are problem cars. I’ve had several. But they are worse than ever. My Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio is a daily driver and I BEAT IT because it’s so fun to drive. The 911 gets babied truth be told. Like many, it’s a Garage Queen.

My Alfa had it’s first scheduled service done in less than 2 hours. Porsche? Slow service. No parts in the United States even for simple things like for headlight lenses.

Why people put up with this and give excuses to Porsche is unbelievable.
Lol, Saying Porsches are crap and Alfa Romeo QVs are great quality wise makes sound as if this entire thread is a farce. Unfortunately, I have way too much somewhat inside knowledge about the Alfies nd they are super problematic. I have daily driven 911 turbos since 1989 and they have been remarkably reliable and dang near bullet proof.

I can get an Alfa Romeo QV at a super cheap, employee discount price, but I am not even remotely tempted to put one in my garage. Sucks that a dealer left you frustrated. There are good, there are bad and then there are customers who are never happy no matter what. Seems like the better I treat the dealer techs and people that work there, the better they treat me.

Last edited by Doug H; 12-09-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Convinced Porsches are crap, and dealer service even worse.