Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convinced Porsches are crap, and dealer service even worse.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 12:17 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

You live in California- you are one more transmission problem away from a free car. That is a easy lemon. I’ve lemon’d an Audi, wife’s Ford and an Acura - and not because I’m doing shady **** but the Audi needed a rebuilt engine, Acura new trans and Ford new trans (both trans were recalls). All three times got a lawyer on commission and ended up getting 75% of what I paid for the car over three years, took the money and got a new car.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

My advice is get PCNA on your side.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by PacPaliPorsche
You live in southern California and have a car that you can't park outside? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How about California being their #1 market? Porsche can't make carbon fiber parts that can be parked outside? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My 997 had carbon on the dash, and every two years it would get so it would lay flat when hot then curl up like spaghetti after the car cooled. They warranty parts two years, and after replacing it time after time they asked me if it would be OK to replace it with the leather piece to reduce hassle. I agreed.

That car had a TON of carbon. When I sold it, the center console cracked, the ash tray lid warped, the fold-down door for the cup holder cracked, both driver and passenger door compartment lids cracked.

When I bought this GTS, the dealer WARNED me the carbon is problematic. But I like the look and because it has fewer "bits" I thought that if I was careful I could avoid it getting sun damage. Hence my simple (but ignored) request to not leave it in the sun during a record-setting high temperature week. Over 115 degrees.

I've never had a car with carbon fiber problems. My 2006 Ferrari F430 Spyder was older, out in the sun more, and had more miles on it than my 997. All the carbon looks like new.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My car has the CF interior package, I live in S. Texas and haven't noticed any problems and my car is parked outside every day.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
My car has the CF interior package, I live in S. Texas and haven't noticed any problems and my car is parked outside every day.
I have heard of these problems with the 997 but I have yet to read of a single example with the 991s.

I had CF in my previous 991S - 4 years old and 19k miles before it went to Valhalla and the CF looked as good as new - and it saw a lot of sun and hot days.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:51 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

This situation is truly unfortunate for the OP.

I've had two 911s and 3 BMW M cars and all have been flawless.

Luck of the draw I guess...
Old 11-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
My Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio is a daily driver and I BEAT IT because it’s so fun to drive. The 911 gets babied truth be told. Like many, it’s a Garage Queen.
The Alfa is the reliable one of the pair? That goes against everything I'm reading in magazines, online, and on alfa Forums, but I'm sure glad to hear it !
Let us know how reliable that Alfa is down the road - I just sold my 74 GTC and I'm considering a QF down the road.. Sorry about the 991, I've had pretty pleasant experiences at my dealers over the years, you're unlucky on that one...
Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default alfa

Man that Alfa is a nice car, if it is reliable that would make a great daily driver. is there any talk of adding a manual gearbox ? I would even consider the lower model if it came with a 6 speed. Right now it seems the best choice is the GTI.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:33 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

It might just come down to the rep you get. I had the best service guy at one dealership but traded for a newer 911 at another dealership and can't find that same level of trust or care. I also got a rebuilt pdk. That was a big reason for getting a fresh start. Try to find that guy or girl that works for you. good luck. My rebuilt pdk was not right.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:38 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

Sorry you are going through this; I'd be pissed to. In my experience service is dealer specific. Ask around and find a good one. I have three dealers within driving distance and I go to the closest one for simple things but I drive 160 miles round trip for complicated things. I will say that both dealers have done things that upset me (dinged wheel while putting on tires, scratched my painted key twice, took a chunk out of my dash, etc.). In every case I make them fix or replace whatever they screwed up. I also agree that Porsche should do much better. My DD is a Lexus and even though it's an appliance and not much fun to drive it never breaks and service is fantastic.

Regarding the rebuilt trans that's the way it works. I've had two rebuilt trans put in my 911's and one motor (Cayenne) and had zero problems after. I get your point but I would not worry about it. Like others have said they have all the latest updates and they are built at the factory (or were).

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
It doesn't happen overnight. It takes years and repeated heating/cooling cycles. The kind of heat we get where I live.

Porsche may have improved it or changed where they put it, but none of us will know until the 991 is out for 10 years. My 997 changed rapidly in the last 2 years I owned it.

And let's be clear: Porsches aren't crap. I'm just pissed. And they have more problems than any performance car I can think of outside stuff like Aston Martin. That's why I won't buy an Audi.

Let's go back to 1999 and the Porsche 996 Carrera. Some of the first ones had blocks that were out of spec, so they would leak oil out the mains seal. My buddy L.A. Fire Chief Mel "Hoke" bought one and within 100 miles it was leaking oil. The fix? A seal that was more flexible that could compensate for being misaligned. When he told me that was the fix I said to myself "Sh*t I wouldn't want that" but kept my mouth shut. I mean....what happens when that seal hits 20k miles? 50K?

It didn't last that long. Within a couple months they swapped the engine. I said "Jesus" and he said "Yea but they gave me a free coffee mug"

I'll bet they did.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

So this is what I got thus far:

The Rusnak service manager Rei called me after he heard I was not having it with a refurb transmission. He told me that the remanufactured transmissions have 100% new parts inside the case, and that ONLY the case is re-claimed. New everything. Valves, gears, blah blah blah. I pressed him hard one this to make sure of what he was saying. Everything inside is new? Yes. I balked at that and told him so. He took umbrage to my comments, like he was offended that I would doubt the word of Porsche. I'm a realist. I don't believe it. It's all about the money with any big business. So I don't appreciate him telling me that.

I asked for documentation to support his claims. Or minimum what parts are replaced. Jesus Christ if you buy a rebuilt part from Pep Boys they often times tell you what gets replaced. He said nobody has ever asked this question and he would try....and this is what he sent. It says "All parts that can be economically remanufactured" and "Consumption of resources is kept to a minimum". Doesn't sound like all new to me.

If I was PAYING for it and needed a cheaper alternative that's fine. That doesn't mean Porsche is entitled to give me cheaper parts.

I don't dig being bullsh*tted. I don't want a 70k or 100k transmission that have parts that are still "in spec". I have a 10k mile car.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

So if you get it replaced with a remanufactured transmission do you get an additional amount of warranty coverage on that item? For example, if you get it replaced with 6 months of warranty left and it craps out in 1 year is still covered and if so, for how long? I know some are offering at least 2 years of coverage on a replaced part.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:58 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Quality is not a dealer problem....but customer service is.

Porsche has diluted their brand and went from catering to 100% enthusiasts to dealing with mostly SUV's and sedans.

Dealership customer service after the sale has never impressed me with Porsche. When I had my 981 I would drop off a meticulously detailed car for an oil change, Several times I picked up the car with bird droppings on it and grease all over the light gray seats, steering wheel, floor mats, door panel, oil drops in the trunk on the carpet, etc. They sprayed my battery terminals with anti corrode and got overspray on the windshield. On one occasion I refused to clean it myself and it went back to the detail bay 3 times.

We all have "standards of care" for our cars. Everyone is different and not every dealer can accommodate them. They need to be upfront and honest.

Just having had my BMW M scratched from nose to tail after an oil change and dealer wash after asking the dealer not to wash it, I am more inclined to change my own oil than ever.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:01 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same issue with the carbon warping in my 997.1TT. It was replaced a couple of times under warranty, but when it ran out I just tore it out and left it bare. It was ridiculously expensive to replace.

My 991.2 carbon so far seems to hold up, crossing my fingers since it's a cab in Texas heat that it'll stay fine.

Quick Reply: Convinced Porsches are crap, and dealer service even worse.