Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't the gear indicator work at idle/low speeds in a MT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 12:20 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Compared to our Porsches with gear indicators, our BMW is quite maddening. It will display the gear it thinks you should be in for fuel economy. It will not display the gear you are actually in. POS.
But we do have that little "up" arrow next to the digital speedo to suggest an upshift. Porsche probably got a few points on the fuel economy score for that little technical treasure.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
But we do have that little "up" arrow next to the digital speedo to suggest an upshift. Porsche probably got a few points on the fuel economy score for that little technical treasure.
Agreed that the up arrow is a worthless outcome of CAFE standards. Just to test it, I was driving 40 mph and it wanted me to continue to shift until I got to 6th gear. 40 mph in 6th gear!!!! In a base 991.1 which has no torque in the low RPMs.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Pet peeve of mine, that gear indicator... It only displays when you get off the clutch... By which time it's too late to defuse a potential money shift (or in my case making sure I did 7->6 and not 7-> 4). I was hoping that I could defeat it by locating a clutch pedal switch on the pedal, zip tie it, and have the indicator display gears instantly... Couldn't find one, so I stopped using 7 altogether.... Whoever finds a way to recode that gets my $. I have a great idea which gear I'm in 99.5% of the time, but for that 0.5% it'd be a cool feature to know before you declutch..

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the gear indicator work at idle/low speeds in a MT?