Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay = Future Obsolesene?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default tesla

Sounds like you might be a tesla guy, these cars are still pretty analog.

Originally Posted by L76
Hi Guys,

Not trying to start a flame war, just start a discussion and educate myself before I buy 1 991.1 or 991.2 (with Apple Car Play). FWIW - I am an "Apple guy." iPhones, iPads, Mac Books, iMac, I've bought it all. However, I am concerned about buying a car with Apple CarPlay... perhaps someone can educate me... my concerns (perhaps unwarranted?):
1. Apple CarPlay will require that I have an Apple device in order to use all of its features/functions
2. Apple CarPlay will require that I continue to upgrade Apple devices I own (or any device -e.g. Droid Phone) in order to use itin the future (as it upgrades its software)
3. I will have to pay for another internet/carrier connection for my car. I have enough of these already...
4. I will be "locked" further into Apple
5. I plan on owning this next 991 for my foreseeable future... will the day come when I need to replace Apple CarPlay in the car because... hey it's Apple... and that's just what they do to get you to buy something new

I kind of like the concept that my car's entertainment system does not have a 3rd party dependency to be operational into the future. I know. I know. I'm not talking about the 8-track player that came in your 70s Chevy that has a media type that is no longer available, but... I have to wonder if the entertainment system in the 991.1 will have longevity that the 991.2 Apple Car Play will not.

Thoughts?
-L76
Old 10-28-2018, 11:54 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

I think the OP is missing the point to a certain degree. Every current info system will age ungracefully in short order, but IMO, having Apple car play will slow the obsolescence compared to any manufacturer's system. At least this way, you get hitched to the back of a trillion dollar company that does (mostly) only tech instead of to the clumsy Porsche tech.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:05 PM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for the posts... and education (which was what I was looking for). I am actually a software guy. I happen to agree - Germans are AWFUL at computer science, glad Porsche are looking to companies like Apple for solutions in this space. I am looking at the 991.X as probably the last modern day "analog" car I will buy (regrettably). I am not a Tesla "fan" (I guess I read too much Orwell and Huxley in my day to like the concept of having Facebook or Big Brother or Tesla or anyone know my whereabouts and then sell that info to Starbucks ... to better sell me a cup of coffee).

I digress - I also own a 2005 Volvo XC90. Bought it new, and probably looking to replace it soon... it's been a good family hauler... but the infotainment system is via fiber-optics and proprietary. Awful system, and SO proprietary (as it is wired into the car's central computer system) that there is no elegant third party upgrade/path as the system ages. This was my concern on the 991... because I plan on owning the car for a long time. Bluetooth solves a lot of my concerns. But in the end - it sounds like car play isn't something that I will really value... but it won't become obsolete as the remainder of the system still functions independent of CarPlay. Question - are there any recurring fees with CarPlay (or just what I pay my carrier for my existing cell phone)?

Cheers,
L76
Old 10-29-2018, 02:10 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There are no fees for CarPlay.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:11 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Car Play just uses the smarts and data directly from your phone, so no extra charges there unless that causes you to run over a data limit on your plan.

Another aside. My 2015 F150 King Ranch is loaded with what Ford thought were the latest goodies of 2015, including Microsoft Sync. You'd think Sync would still work a mere 3 years later, but NO! Support for it was discontinued so all of the Sync services on the truck are worthless.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:54 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by L76
Hi Guys,
Thank you all for the posts... and education (which was what I was looking for). I am actually a software guy. I happen to agree - Germans are AWFUL at computer science, glad Porsche are looking to companies like Apple for solutions in this space. I am looking at the 991.X as probably the last modern day "analog" car I will buy (regrettably). I am not a Tesla "fan" (I guess I read too much Orwell and Huxley in my day to like the concept of having Facebook or Big Brother or Tesla or anyone know my whereabouts and then sell that info to Starbucks ... to better sell me a cup of coffee).

I digress - I also own a 2005 Volvo XC90. Bought it new, and probably looking to replace it soon... it's been a good family hauler... but the infotainment system is via fiber-optics and proprietary. Awful system, and SO proprietary (as it is wired into the car's central computer system) that there is no elegant third party upgrade/path as the system ages. This was my concern on the 991... because I plan on owning the car for a long time. Bluetooth solves a lot of my concerns. But in the end - it sounds like car play isn't something that I will really value... but it won't become obsolete as the remainder of the system still functions independent of CarPlay. Question - are there any recurring fees with CarPlay (or just what I pay my carrier for my existing cell phone)?

Cheers,
L76
As mentioned, there are no fees for CarPlay but there is an available data plan thru the dealership and AT&T for any 991.2 to turn it into a "hot spot". $10/month for 1GB data.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mb1
As mentioned, there are no fees for CarPlay but there is an available data plan thru the dealership and AT&T for any 991.2 to turn it into a "hot spot". $10/month for 1GB data.
And $20 a month unlimited data if you are a heavier data user... which for most people is only likely if you frequently drive and use the Google Maps with satellite imagery, which is live-streamed to the car as you go into new areas not already cached. Out of curiosity, I looked at the data usage on my account and I've used about 0.4GB with maybe 5-6 hours of driving in this billing period while using Google Maps with imagery.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:25 AM
SpeedZ
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
My 991 has no carplay, and I still do all of the above. I just connect the phone through the USB cable, and have it mounted next to the PCM so that I can use Amazon Music, Podcasts, etc. through my phone. When I use waze on the phone, it displays on the phone, next to the PCM screen.

So, no worries, you're fine.
FYI you can get Car Play modded on PCM3.1 Porsches. I just got my 2013 991.1 Carrera 2 upgraded to have CarPlay support and it is awesome.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:43 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey guys,
Can I use my old 6s plus to plug into the car and use my new iPhone to hotspot connection to the 6s for CarPlay?

i don’t want to unplug and plug in the phone each time I get in the car.

also if I don’t opt for the smoking package do I then have no dc plug for charging other things?

Old 10-30-2018, 05:43 AM
SpeedZ
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
Hey guys,
Can I use my old 6s plus to plug into the car and use my new iPhone to hotspot connection to the 6s for CarPlay?

also if I don’t opt for the smoking package do I then have no dc plug for charging other things?

You could do that, but wouldn't that be just as annoying? You'd have to go into Settings -> WiFi and click on your iPhone to connect it to HotSpot, every single time you turned the car on. At least when you plug it in the phone charges too.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:16 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,
That's a rather clever idea! I don't see any reason it shouldn't work as long as you make sure you have the old phone updated to the latest OS for the latest Car Play features. You may want to leave the hotspot connection on your newer phone on all of the time if you don't want to be turning it on and off each time you get in. The battery impact of that should be pretty small when you are not actively using the hotspot, maybe a couple percent extra for the day, and the security issues of always going around with your phone announcing its hotspot should be small as long as you use a reasonably non-obvious WiFi password.

However, if you are doing longer drives using it as an active hotspot your new phone's battery will decrease much more quickly since it has to actively maintain the data connection to the cell towers and the old phone continuously. At that point you'd need to plug the new phone in anyway just to keep it from draining too much.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:39 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,
I just remembered your other question: In the 991.2, without the smoking package there is only one other 12V outlet and it is found on the upper left side of the passenger footwell. There is a USB port for charging in the glovebox and one for charging and CarPlay in the armrest. The 991.1 had another 12v outlet in the armrest.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:38 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Originally Posted by StormRune
I just remembered your other question: In the 991.2, without the smoking package there is only one other 12V outlet and it is found on the upper left side of the passenger footwell. There is a USB port for charging in the glovebox and one for charging and CarPlay in the armrest. The 991.1 had another 12v outlet in the armrest.
thanks! My allocation locks in the next few days so I need to figure out about the smoking package.

Besides adding a 12v socket I guess I can pass since there’s a socket by the footwell!

👍
Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Car play will only work for one phone at a time.
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question. The old 6S will be the “live” phone so unless you still have it hooked up to the cell network you won’t be able to use calling functions. Don’t even think about BT with the current phone and CarPlay when active overrides all other connections with other devices. In addition texting functions will likely be more difficult than if you simply plugged your current phone in.

Likely you can hotspot the old phone to your current one but frankly it’s not all that hard to just plug your current phone in every time you step into the car. I too wish Porsche has wireless car play like BWM does but alas they don’t.

The carplay port port will keep the phone charged.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:42 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Originally Posted by hbear
Car play will only work for one phone at a time.
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question. The old 6S will be the “live” phone so unless you still have it hooked up to the cell network you won’t be able to use calling functions. Don’t even think about BT with the current phone and CarPlay when active overrides all other connections with other devices. In addition texting functions will likely be more difficult than if you simply plugged your current phone in.

Likely you can hotspot the old phone to your current one but frankly it’s not all that hard to just plug your current phone in every time you step into the car. I too wish Porsche has wireless car play like BWM does but alas they don’t.

The carplay port port will keep the phone charged.
Good points, thanks. I should pretext this by saying I don't want to plug and unplug on short trips because I tend to keep my phones for a long time so I don't want to damage the phone battery on short charge and discharge. Just bought that 10xs max for 1300 bucks
I guess I can still use it the way I was thinking if I sync my i message with my phone and use my google voice number to call out.

I hope the center console can fit 2 iphones so i can choose which one to plug in.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay = Future Obsolesene?