Sponsored by:

Body shop puts several chips in my ppf

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 03:24 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
So how is the hood/ frunk liner issue now? Looks better in the pictures.

Some adjustments were made to the liner to get it down lower. Maybe the hood settled in more with a bit of time. In fact when I pulled into the shop I was looking at the car and was thinking it was something I could live with. But I figured since I was there I would get their input.

Last edited by kage65; 10-26-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:03 PM
kage65
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
The film is doing what it was paid to do - protect the paint. Lucky you had it. As far as your comment about it being "hopeless", you will enjoy the car a whole lot more if you don't fret about every little thing. And that's why you bought the car to begin with right - to enjoy? I was like you in the beginning and could point out every little imperfection, but now when I see something it bothers me for about 10 minutes and then just move on. Just remember, nobody is going to care about your car more than you, so unless you plan to do all the car maintenance yourself, things like this are going to happen - unfortunately.
Yea Ill prob just look at replacing the film later on down the line. I was seeing chips from time to time that occurred from the road and was ok with those. This one just got me bent out of shape yesterday because it did not come from the road, and it was about 4 or 5 all at the same time. I'll get it sorted out , or get over it eventually.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:48 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i say just forget it, i personally put a little scratch on my rear bumper and a little ding on it ...(from being too close to the garage door), patched the little ding with compound, and touch up with matching paint...you cant really see it since is on where the lisc plate lights is...so is facing down......I figure the car will eventually get small nicks and stuff and for me is just the bumper (in your case the PPF) as long as is not on metal panels...is a easy fix and can be done later when you accumulate more battle scars :-)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:23 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you call the shop that did the damage & ask the WTF they did? My guess is they will deny having done anything. Deny rings, belt buckles, etc. I assume you paid them for the hood adjustment.

Go to your PPF installer & ask then what they think happened & what the fix is. Get a price that you can mention to the shop that caused the damage.

You may end up right where you are now, live with it & eventually replace the PPF at your expense.

Or the PPF installer may be able to do a heat treatment that will make it much better & may not charge you if they do not have to replace the film. The shop that caused the damage may pay for this.

I hate it when careless "professionals" damage my cars.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:14 PM
kage65
Racer

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Did you call the shop that did the damage & ask the WTF they did? My guess is they will deny having done anything. Deny rings, belt buckles, etc. I assume you paid them for the hood adjustment.

Go to your PPF installer & ask then what they think happened & what the fix is. Get a price that you can mention to the shop that caused the damage.

You may end up right where you are now, live with it & eventually replace the PPF at your expense.

Or the PPF installer may be able to do a heat treatment that will make it much better & may not charge you if they do not have to replace the film. The shop that caused the damage may pay for this.

I hate it when careless "professionals" damage my cars.
I did talk to the manager of the shop. He actually did not deny anything. I didn't ask for any money yet as I wanted to do more digging to make sure I was clear on what happened.
Meeting with my film guy this week and he's going to give me his opinion as well as the cost to replace. I didn't pay the shop anything as we only looked over the car and chatted about it. Already tried heat to no avail. The chips are too deep for heat. Yup I may end up replacing it and moving on. It does suck. I've learned a lot about what not to do with this car. IE Don't let any shop look at it unless absolutely necessary, and take many pics of the car just prior to any shop looking at it, for starters.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:32 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Good luck!

Let us know what your PPF installer said the problem was & what the fix is.

Hope you do not have to replace the PPF yet.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:57 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 167 Posts

We're all car fanatics here and little things like this suck, but life's too short to get bogged down by trivial BS like this. Enjoy the car and be glad you can afford it. I spend my days dealing with illness and death, which gives me a more grand perspective. Spend the money on your wife or kids rather than ppf replacement.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:15 AM
kage65
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
We're all car fanatics here and little things like this suck, but life's too short to get bogged down by trivial BS like this. Enjoy the car and be glad you can afford it. I spend my days dealing with illness and death, which gives me a more grand perspective. Spend the money on your wife or kids rather than ppf replacement.
good points
Old 10-31-2018, 09:53 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I'd still be pissed since it was done by someone else. If I do something or I get a rock chip on the road it is one thing but when someone else does something it is another so I know how the OP feels; however, it does not good to dwell on it after one has tried to resolve it.

Quick Reply: Body shop puts several chips in my ppf