Sponsored by:

Should get winter tires? 991.2 T

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 AM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should get winter tires? 991.2 T

I read a ton of threads about this topic and I still can’t be decisive one way. Wanted to get your thoughts based on your location, experience and similar use for your 911...should I buy a winter set?

I live in northern Virginia.

My 911 will not be a DD. It won’t see snow ever if I could help it. I would want to take it out (2-3 times a week) when dry regardless of temp.

Avg temp during November to March: low 26F - high 46F

thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Daily driver = Yes. If you have another vehicle when its snowy/wet then I don't think its necessary. I drove through the many winters in Virginia without them and was fine on Summer tires....CAVEAT, if you are careful and realize their limitations.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

In freezing temperatures, your car will perform better on winter tires. This is true on dry pavement, and even more so on wet pavement.

I’ve driven Porsches in all weather conditions when I lived in the Midwest, and in my current Rocky Mountain location. I’ve always used winter tires in winter conditions, and I highly recommend it.

If you have the ability to be to be selective about when you drive your Porsche and you don’t want to spend the money on winter wheels and tires, then that’s fine. If you think you’ll be driving in winter conditions, then put winter tires on the car.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:56 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

None of the summer tires like cold weather. So if you are driving in the cold you need something like an all season or winter tire. If you are driving in the snow, just buy the winter tires.

My experience with putting winter tires on the Cayman was that it just not make sense for most winters here in NJ. I have another daily driver. I don't drive the Porsche in the snow or salt.

The first winter I ran them it worked out OK. The winter was mild. There were lots of great weeks with no salt on the ground and good timing for rain to wash it away after storms. I used the car a decent amount and it never saw salt.

The next winter, I mounted them and used the car into November. From late November to April it literally it felt like there was salt and slush on the ground all winter. The car sat.

The next winter was the same. I think I used the car once on winter tires.

I finally gave up and stopped mounting them.

For my Carrera T I am not buying the winter tire setup.

I will note that on my 3 series, I have had very good luck with the Michelin AS/3 running all year. I would be curious to see what they would feel like on a 911 as an all year tire.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:21 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

My 911.2 breaks loose in second gear in 40 degrees and colder....no traction. My winter tires will go on any day now. I Would'nt consider driving in winter on summer tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911boy:
Crowndog1 (01-28-2022), The Ox (01-28-2022)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I lived in FFX and had a RWD BMW 535i Sport Package that came with summer tires. It was my daily driver. I found that switching to a high performance all season worked fine. I used the Conti DWS (now replaced by the even better DWS 06) and put them on just in time for Snowmageddon in 2011. Got me through fine, and the rest of the time it worked great in the cold and rain. You're not going out in the snow anyway, NOVA and DC doesn't know **** about snow plowing, lol.

Conversely my boss had an Audi A6 with summers that he ran all winter and drove in the snow, and didn't crash....although he did get arrested for DWI, lol.

If you're going to use it on a frequent basis, the high performance AS's are fine. Since you won't be taking it in snow, you're mainly looking for tires with a rubber compound more suitable to cold temps. You're not looking for hardcore snow / ice performance so you don't need aggressive siping and a rubber compound made to work in snow and grip on ice, and with tread blocks designed to grab snow. Odds are that you can survive fine with the summers, but do you want to take that chance on a $100k car? I wouldn't. I knew a guy in Ellicott City that had summer compounds and they became skateboards on a wet 40 degree night and he flew off the highway into a signpost and totaled the car. $1k for a good set of A/S's plus mounting and balancing is money well spent.

I'd recommend the DWS 06's. I have them fitted to both our DD's now and they are fantastic tires. Reasonably priced and excellent performance for what they are.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by jkyrennist
My 911 will not be a DD. It won’t see snow ever if I could help it. I would want to take it out (2-3 times a week) when dry regardless of temp.

If you want to drive it like a 911 at those temps, get winter tires. I can easily do 1.0g+ corners at those temps with my winter tires, but I would not ever recommend doing that at those temps with the summer tires. If you want to take it out at those temps and have as much fun as you do in the summer, get the winter tires.
The following users liked this post:
Crowndog1 (01-28-2022)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:48 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I read a ton of threads about this topic and I still can’t be decisive one way. Wanted to get your thoughts based on your location, experience and similar use for your 911...should I buy a winter set?

I live in northern Virginia.

thanks in advance!
all season tires. Your performance tires should not be used under 40.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:15 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go

all season tires. Your performance tires should not be used under 40.
Even if you don't trust some stranger over the internet, your first drive under about 42 degrees will convince you. The thumping of unhappy tires is impossible to miss.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:40 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks all for your words of wisdom...

Winter set it is. I’ll probably look for a set of lightly used wheels and winter tires so I can swap out at home.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:20 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Winter set it is. I’ll probably look for a set of lightly used wheels and winter tires so I can swap out at home.
Good call.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:50 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Great call. You're going to go through at least 2 sets of tires in the next few years so I think you're doing the right thing by making one set Winters. As I mentioned above, mine is all over the place on summers and its only 40-50 degrees.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm slightly further north than you in the MD suburbs, but I already notice a loss of traction on my summer tires with temps in the 50s. Getting a little loose around some turns and wheel spin when I give it some throttle off the line. Winter tires are definitely worth the peace of mind.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I don’t drive in the snow but I do put winter performance tires on, so much grip in cold weather. I would say yes if you plan on driving in 55F or below no matter the condition. Many stories out there of things going wrong in cold weather AWD or 2WD doesn’t matter. No brainer for me for a car you intend to keep also if you use summerp performance tires. On one car I have all weather tires so I don’t bother with that one.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

get a set from tirerack no need to get expensive porsche wheels.

Quick Reply: Should get winter tires? 991.2 T