Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sick and tired of the brake squeaking on 991.2 gts

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 06:29 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Go to a track or private road course, take it up to 90+ MPH, and brake hard, several times, all the way down to 10-20 MPH. That will shut the brakes up. No need to come to a complete stop, but if you do, don't put the parking brake on immediately afterward.

60-70 MPH will not do it. You are dealing with an exponent of at least speed^2.

Or, watch the Porsche video on repeat until you've convinced yourself (and the MILF) that the squealing and squeaking is "normal." Whatever's easier.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Almost 62,000 miles here. I've never had any brake noise in 5 driving seasons. I've also never had any brake noise on any of my prior Porsches.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

What about creaking? Never sure whether it's suspension or brakes. Happens at low speeds when braking at lights etc but especially when pulling out of parallel parking from cold! OPC says may go when brakes bedded in but not so far after 6K miles. Suspect may be a consequence of not bedding brakes in properly from new, ie hammering them from the word go!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:46 AM
GreginNH
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

psorcery - Let us know when you have been able to get the MILF to squeak!
Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

My PCCBs on my 991.2GTS have never squeaked. The PCCBs on my previous 991.1S also never squeaked. The steels on my first 991.1S occasionally squeaked until I braked hard (got rid of squeak).
Old 10-15-2018, 09:39 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

PCCB's do NOT squeak. They are ceramic and not Iron/Steel. Anyone hearing brake squeal on PCCB is imagining it.
No brake dust, no squealing, "lifetime" of no maintenance, better performance...Now you know why they cost so much

As far as OP, many have had to do a couple of hard stops from high speeds to seat the brakes.
De glazing, or making the pad/rotor more level or something like that. Try it.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have PCCB. Zero squeaking.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 123 Posts

None of this has anything to do with GTS or non-GTS. Carbon ceramics or steel brakes.

If you take the time to go through the bedding process with your brakes, the squeaking will dramatically drop or go away entirely.

I have a 2018 C4 GTS and went through the process on a long country road the very first day I bought the car. I do it with all of my
cars, including my Jeep.

Instructions (just a general guide - not written by me)
  1. From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.
  2. Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 20 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph, then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely, with your foot on the brake pedal, pad material will be imprinted onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.
  3. The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.
  4. After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a few minutes, using the brakes as little as possible to allow them to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:37 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Like LexVan, I've had four 911s and have never had problems with brakes squealing except for a rare chirp/groan when backing out of the driveway after a wash. So that has me guessing that there is something we are doing differently.

I'd guess that the most likely culprit is how the car is washed (and how it affects the wheels specifically). For example, is there any way waxes or wheel-cleaning chemicals are getting on the rotors (like using a drive-through car wash or even a hand spray at home)? Also, once I've washed the car but before I finished cleaning the wheels, I take it on a short few-block run to sling remaining water out of the rotors and warm/dry them up a bit to prevent rust from forming and to get any crap flung out onto the barrels before I clean them. Then I'll clean the wheels and the barrels using sprays that I apply directly to the rag to make sure no spray gets on the rotors.

And as others have said, also try rebedding the brakes. Now that they are squealing I imagine it is harder to get rid of the problem than if it never occurred in the first place. If that doesn't work, the you might have to go to new pads and rotors, or if they aren't significantly worn, burnishing the pad and rotor surfaces with sandpaper to remove old pad material build-up and glaze may work too... but that's a lot of work many aren't anxious to do. If you do this, then you certainly need to redo the bedding procedure described by jnkirk1974 in the post above to get the initial pad material transfer done properly again.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

I am just like Psorcery - my brakes only squeak in reverse in front of hot women at the grocery store. Seems to squeak even louder if I go to Whole Foods
Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
None of this has anything to do with GTS or non-GTS. Carbon ceramics or steel brakes.

If you take the time to go through the bedding process with your brakes, the squeaking will dramatically drop or go away entirely.

I have a 2018 C4 GTS and went through the process on a long country road the very first day I bought the car. I do it with all of my
cars, including my Jeep.

Instructions (just a general guide - not written by me)
  1. From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.
  2. Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 20 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph, then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely, with your foot on the brake pedal, pad material will be imprinted onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.
  3. The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.
  4. After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a few minutes, using the brakes as little as possible to allow them to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot.
Never did a bedding process on any of my cars and never had a squeal. How is that possible?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 PM
911miami
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dj997
My 997 was that way and the same for my dot 2. Comes with the territory. Porsche even did a video explaining it.

https://youtu.be/fUNHb9O52WQ

great video
Old 10-15-2018, 12:26 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
https://youtu.be/fUNHb9O52WQ
I've seen the video a million times, I feel its a lame *** excuse. I can buy nearly any other high end car and I it have anywhere near the level of brake squeal as my 911 has. It's almost 2019, I think Porsche can figure it out....
Old 10-15-2018, 01:28 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Only in reverse, after a wash for me. Which was a tiny bit embarrassing because a 10/10 milf walked by my house as I was backing out and squeaking for the first time ever a couple days ago

These are high performance brakes. Part of life. Get PCCB.
LMAO this gave me a chuckle
Old 10-15-2018, 01:33 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
How come I can buy a pos Prius with no brake squeal but my 100k plus 911gts is horrendous? There needs to be a recall/tsb. Anyone else?

If you don't track your car, change your pads to ceramic with less dust and no noise.

Quick Reply: Sick and tired of the brake squeaking on 991.2 gts