Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gravel/debri hitting inside of fenders , slow down?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018 | 03:22 PM
kage65
Racer

Default Gravel/debri hitting inside of fenders , slow down?

We all know when driving over gravel and debris it hits the fenders and makes a lot of noise inside the car. Is some of this hitting the outside of the fenders as well? In other words, I feel like I need to drive especially slow when I hear this so as not to get more chips from this stuff flinging off the tires. Am I right on that? Tks

Last edited by kage65; 09-28-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2018 | 03:46 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Slower has to be better. I also think that gravel can find it's way out of the wheel well and find a fender, but likely only during a turn. It should be worse in the summer when the tire compounds are softer and stickier with a greater tendency to pick up debris. The gravel noise is one of those 911 things you just have to deal with. Others have installed sound deadening materials, but not sure how successful they mods have been.
Old 09-28-2018 | 03:58 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

You are correct! A percentage of gravel and (small rocks/debris) will stick to all tire threads or get kicked up with more as you increase speed. The front & rear tires will launch the gravel towards the rear of the car, around the inside of the wheel well housing and eventually a few will bounce around inside the wheel drums, calipers and rotors. Some of the gravel will hit the rockers and launch the debris on to your side of the car as it travels forward and unfortunately hit the rear fender flares causing nicks on the paint and PPF. Just remember as your car travels down the road it’s picking up debris and launching it in all directions. I like to think of this action as a lawnmower kicking up debris and launching it in every direction at high rates of speed.
Old 09-28-2018 | 04:55 PM
Psorcery
Banned

When my car was brand new with fresh tires I would get tons of debris and rocks clanging all over my wheel wells in my neighborhood streets.. Now with 8k miles and lower tread the clanging has stopped. Keep the speed down where there is loose gravel, my brand new car has some scars from this. Can't help but cringe.
Old 09-28-2018 | 05:37 PM
STG
Race Director

These areas get chipped and nailed by stones

Name:  photo949.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  479.1 KB

The bottom edge of the car is textured at least and gets spared a bit. Behind and in front of rear tires gets it the worst.

Quick Reply: Gravel/debri hitting inside of fenders , slow down?