Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:37 AM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road dip and pop

hey guys,
want your thoughts.

on my commute this morning, there was a new construction dip in the road that I wasn’t aware of. Took it pretty fast and heard a pop/snap sound from the front left wheel area. Checked all the wheels and undercarriage and I don’t see anything out of place or any damage. No funny sounds either for the rest of my commute.

should I worry about this? Anywhere else I should check for damage?

thank you !
Old 09-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Sorry to hear that! Need more info... I assume this dip made the car go down and then up. Did you get air borne? Did the front scrape the pavement? When you say pop, do you mean the shocks reaching the maximum travel distance? I assume you checked the front bumper and lower lip.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by seffeed
hey guys,
want your thoughts.

on my commute this morning, there was a new construction dip in the road that I wasn’t aware of. Took it pretty fast and heard a pop/snap sound from the front left wheel area. Checked all the wheels and undercarriage and I don’t see anything out of place or any damage. No funny sounds either for the rest of my commute.

should I worry about this? Anywhere else I should check for damage?

thank you !
I did exactly the same thing....heard a POP....weird. That was a few hundred KMS ago. All good here. Hope yours is ok.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:56 AM
seffeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
Sorry to hear that! Need more info... I assume this dip made the car go down and then up. Did you get air borne? Did the front scrape the pavement? When you say pop, do you mean the shocks reaching the maximum travel distance? I assume you checked the front bumper and lower lip.

Thanks Guards Red. Car went down then up. No scraping of the splitter and bumper ok too. Car has SPASM and the tighter suspension setting is always on. I’ve never reached max shock travel distance - I wasn’t aware that this makes a popping sound. Is this something that needs some sort of evaluation or let it go?

and did not get airborn.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 AM
seffeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911boy
I did exactly the same thing....heard a POP....weird. That was a few hundred KMS ago. All good here. Hope yours is ok.

maybe the max shock travel distance that Guards Red suggests??
Old 09-26-2018, 11:24 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

"Pops" when it comes to violent and sudden suspension compression mean something has exceeded its design and use parameters - which is not good. There's a lot of moving parts, no one can tell you want it might be unless the car is put on a lift and checked out.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:38 AM
JayHantz
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
"Pops" when it comes to violent and sudden suspension compression mean something has exceeded its design and use parameters - which is not good. There's a lot of moving parts, no one can tell you want it might be unless the car is put on a lift and checked out.
Agreed. You'll get a definite answer and you won't constantly be thinking about it if you hear any more noises coming from the car.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcollie
First we need to find out if the pop was heard when the shocks were compressed (in the dip) or completely extended (pass the dip). In either case the suspension has bushings that protect the system from snapping or breaking. These cars can reach the limits without any issues. I've seen drivers punishing their Porsches lap after lap around Watkins Glen.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:27 PM
seffeed
Instructor

First we need to find out if the pop was heard when the shocks were compressed (in the dip) or completely extended (pass the dip). In either case the suspension has bushings that protect the system from snapping or breaking. These cars can reach the limits without any issues. I've seen drivers punishing their Porsches lap after lap around Watkins Glen.
thx guys
I heard the pop in the dip
if I decide to sit on it for a few days/weeks, what should I expect to see if any damage has occurred?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:15 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

You hit the top bushing, carry on my friend, no harm was done .
Old 09-26-2018, 09:06 PM
seffeed
Instructor

You hit the top bushing, carry on my friend, no harm was done .

Thank you sir !
Old 09-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Its probably the sound from hitting the bump stops
Old 09-28-2018, 06:03 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by seffeed

thx guys
I heard the pop in the dip
if I decide to sit on it for a few days/weeks, what should I expect to see if any damage has occurred?
Sincerely doubt you have any damage since all appears normal after driving over the dip. I see 911 after 911 go over the rumble strips at the WGI bus stop at over 80 mph, with no damage. Personally, I have had my teeth chatter from the experience with my previous 991's. These cars are engineered to take abuse, the driver not so much.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:27 AM
seffeed
Instructor

Thanks for the reassuring advice guys
all seems well after several fun commute drives

Quick Reply: Road dip and pop